jrm
    mtbr member

Sultan set up question

in order to get a good cockpit length i can run a 80mm stem and a set back post OR a 90mm stem and a straight post. Im 5'8.5"s tall on a medium sultan w/ a poo 120,

From scanning the sultan set up archives ive noticed a majority of you guys run longer stems and straight posts. Any feed back on how a straight post is better then set back or is all personal preference? Thanks.
    Wreck the malls with cows on Harleys

mtbr member
    I am an 1" shorter than you and on the TNT Sultan I ran a straight post and a 70mm/zero rise stem. On the new "dee dub" link I will run a straight post and a 90mm/zero rise stem (and probably a Niner flat bar).

mtbr member
    Straight or set-back post is used to fine tune the position of your knee relative to the pedal spindle (it modifies the seat tube angle) and accomodates a longer or shorter femur.

Stem length as well as bar width, height, and orientation can be used to adjust overall length of the cockpit. If you are standing (uphill or downhill), whether a seatpost is straight or set-back has no relevance but the cockpit size obviously is still very important.

jrm
    mtbr member

Yup

Quote Originally Posted by Larsey
    I am an 1" shorter than you and on the TNT Sultan I ran a straight post and a 70mm/zero rise stem. On the new "dee dub" link I will run a straight post and a 90mm/zero rise stem (and probably a Niner flat bar).
    I called urner and they said straight post. Im going to fiddle with the stem length.

MTB B'dos

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Saddle position isn't "adjustable"

Unless Turner is God and know all this already, did you give him your femur length, crank length, foot size? Your saddle position is not something you change to "adjust" your cockpit, that's what the stem and bar are for. Messing with your saddle position to sort out cockpit length is asking for probable knee trouble.If you need a setback to get the sadel where it nees to be use it, if a straight post will work and you get your saddle in the right place then fine.

Quote Originally Posted by jrm
    I called Turner and they said straight post. Im going to fiddle with the stem length.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

jrm
    mtbr member

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LyNx
    Unless Turner is God and know all this already, did you give him your femur length, crank length, foot size? Your saddle position is not something you change to "adjust" your cockpit, that's what the stem and bar are for. Messing with your saddle position to sort out cockpit length is asking for probable knee trouble.If you need a setback to get the sadel where it nees to be use it, if a straight post will work and you get your saddle in the right place then fine.
    but ti think i can figure it out.

Expert Crasher
    Depends on what setback seatpost you are using - most are 20-25mm of setback (Thomson's are 16mm). 10mm difference in stem isn't quite the same thing.

If you are using a setback currently, I'd stay with a setback. Same for the zero offset. I'd just adjust the stem length to account for any cockpit changes due to a the new ETT length.

LyNx has a point - I learned this recently with my new Karate Monkey. I used a zero setback Thomson post (normally used the setback Thomson) b/c I had drop bars and wanted to shorten reach a bit - my knee rejected that change. Ubercomfy on 180mm cranks and the setback post. Not so much with the change so I reverted back.
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin