Bite Me.

Sultan Second Impressions

Yesterday I had a chance to really put some more miles on the Sultan. I met a couple of friends Monday night for camping in Fruita, and we headed out Tuesday morning to explore some trails in the Rabbit Valley area. Western Rim is a 20 mile loop that gets you out there. It has a nice mixture of climbs, technical rocky sections, slick rock and lots and lots of twisty singletrack. It's more XC oriented than much of the terrain at the Kokopelli's Loops and is reminiscent of Horsethief and Steve's only much longer.

The Sultan was a great bike for this terrain - still a bit of work on the climbs, but it plowed over obstacles and ledges. I used all the travel in the back and front, so I can see how a longer front end would be nice. The steering was, again, deliberate, and the overall ride was stable and secure feeling. Blazing down some steep loose sections, the bike felt really solid at the grips and pedals - it does not get knocked off line very easily and recovers quickly when it does. It still doesn't feel nearly as nimble in the technical stuff as the Spot, but it makes up for it with a sense of stolid momentum - I'm still getting used the very different ride quality of the Sultan, but as I adjust my riding style to the different geometry and wheel size I can see myself enjoying the ride more and more. I'm still keeping the Spot, but this is a nice bike to have in the quiver.

For those of you who haven't explored Western Rim and the Rabbit Valley area - this ride is a must do - it's a very sweet 2-3 hours of cranking.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by cutthroat; 04-30-2008 at 11:58 AM.
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

It's carbon dontcha know.
    I'm not jealous, no really I'm not.

Bodhisattva
    Nice shots.
    If you have a CK headset then consider the Ventana race to slacken out the HA.

I agree with Tscheezy's prior comment that Sultan works best with taller forks for AM use.

Nice attempt at convincing yourself Spot has a future role in your quiver. Good one.
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.”

― Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Looks fun. I've driven past that Rabbit Valley exit too many times. Next time!

On the Spot, I have never made the tricky (to me at least) ledgy climb out of Steve's. I've now made it twice on the Sultan. My Spot was sold about 3 months after the Sultan arrived!

Let us all chant together: 29er TALAS, 29 er TALAS, 29er TALAS!
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by kosmo
    Let us all chant together: 29er PIKE, 29er PIKE, 29er PIKE!
    29er PIKE, 29er PIKE, 29er PIKE

and for my next project....

29er LYRIK, 29er LYRIK, 29er LYRIK
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.”

― Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kosmo
    Let us all chant together: 29er TALAS, 29 er TALAS, 29er TALAS!
    No doubt. I need something with more meat for my next project!!!

mtbr member
    OP,

So would you rather have had the Spot on that ride? Which is a better climber, speedwise?

Bite Me.
    Quote Originally Posted by soulfly_NYC
    OP,

So would you rather have had the Spot on that ride? Which is a better climber, speedwise?
    I think the Sultan was the preferred rig for that ride - it feels like it climbs a bit slower, but I hammered up over some big broken ledges on the Sultan that my buddy on a Yeti 575 got knocked off. Once you get the wheels up to speed they really clamber over the broken stuff amazingly well. As for speed, I tend to ride buff single track pretty fast and was often in my big ring on the rolling stuff, I was consistently pulling away from the 26er, and he's no slouch for speed. On the downhills it was the same thing - fast and stable. If the trail had more drops, technical and tight ledges and trials-like moves (a trail like Moore Fun or Holy Cross), I would still probably opt for the Spot over the Sultan. The opinion may change over time, particularly if (when) the front end gets a bigger fork.
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cutthroat
    My opinion will change over time, particularly if (when) the front end gets a bigger fork.
    I fixed it for you

Bite Me.
    Quote Originally Posted by jncarpenter
    I fixed it for you

I'm shedding the tubes and going with Stan's tubeless to shed a little wheel weight, That should help the "nimble-ness" factor. Get me a travel adjust 29er fork and I bet you're right.
    Choosing between the Spot and Sultan is like trying to pick between two beautiful women. There's no way I could ever say the Spot was a dog after sooo many years of good riding.

It's carbon dontcha know.
    I'm itching for one of the new 120 TA Rebas.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cutthroat
    There's no way I could ever say the Spot was a dog after sooo many years of good riding.
    W3RD! I did my Tour of Spot Duty...2 years of faithful service. Goin TO the big wheels seems like an easy transition...so much so you're tempted to say you don't notice a TON of difference. Just wait until you've ridden the Sultan a dozen or more times & then jump back on the kiddie wheels for a spin . Make sure you keep that weight back