T , V , & K Rider
    Nov 2004

For Sultan are Industry Nine wheels a good upgrade....

.... over hand built wheels using steel spokes ? I want a really stiff wheel set that is adaptable to accept 20 or 15 mm thru axle front fork and 10 mm thru bolt rear like my latest Hadley hubs ! Looking at 29er Enduro wheelset with flow rims...... plain jane black & silver to match my new raw frame ! Is the stiffness really noticeable and are they durable ? Thanks ! TIG.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Well, I9 hubs are not going to be that much different than Hadleys. Depends more on the quality of the build and what your current rims are. The Flows are a solid, stiff rim, but if you have a good handbuilt wheel with a decent rim, it might not be much of an upgrade.

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    In my experience they are stiff and durable (I'm the standard 200+ lbs. Homer, but I'm not really that hard on wheels). Are they stiffer than a well-built wheel with SS spokes? Maybe, maybe not. But they are my second favorite wheel for the Sultan (after the ENVE AM wheels). They'll be a little lighter than the Hadley if that matters.

mtbr member
    YES!

In the context of an TNT Sultan...

I have a pair of Bontrager OSB rims (recommended by MikeSee and others) hand built on to Hope Pro II's using DT 14/15 DB spokes. The OSB rim has an offset spoke bed which is said to increase stiffness). I swapped to a pair of I9/Arch's. FYI an Arch weighs a little less than a Bontrager OSB rim.

The increase in stiffness from the Hope to the I9 wheelset was noticable. The bike turned better, and held its line better. I believe that the stiffness of the alu spokes combined with the 'straight pull' design is the source of the goodness!

While I'm not hard on wheels, I've had no issues with spokes breaking, or the rims needing truing. The rear needs a little truing now...after 3 years. The rear hub needs to be serviced every once in a while...but other good hubs will need to as well.

The only way that you'd get me to part company with my I9's would be if you gave me a set of ENVE carbon wheels, where the stiffness of the rim would make up for any deficiency in the use of J bend spokes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

No

Nothing special IMO about the I9 wheels; it's more looks than anything. I had a pair and was breaking spokes frequently and had a rear hub failure. I just recently bought a bike used than came with them and the first thing I did was sell the I9's. Most of the people I know that had them have sold them as well.

not so super...
    Well worth it IMO.

All my I9's have been flawless in performance and there is a noticeable difference between them and a steel spoked wheelset. As with any wheelset they need to be properly tensioned and maintained in order to get the best performance and lifespan. I'm still riding the I9's I bought for my first sultan back in 2008 with less than 3 broken spokes and normal hub maintenance.

The bonus is that the hubs can be 15, 20 or QR front and 10, 12 and QR rear.
    Nothing to see here.

mtbr member
    I have a set on my TNT Sultan and on my SS hard tail 29er. Both have been rock solid and going on 4 years. The wheels on the Sultan are 15mm and the SS is 9qr. I'm 190 lbs geared up and ride everything from Tahoe to Moab.

Committed
    For me the I9s are worth it, they are much stiffer than steel spoked wheelsets, I found I was able to hold a tighter line in chunky off camber corners with the I9s. They don't deflect as much and give a more precise feel.
    I have a set on my Spot that are going on four seasons old, other than checking that the spokes are tight once in a while they have needed zero maintenance.
    One set of I9 dh wheels I had developed a bad freehub bearing after a couple months use, I9 sent out a complete bearing kit free of charge no questions asked.
    The near instant engagement is sweet as well.
    Last edited by 1soulrider; 11-02-2011 at 03:46 PM.

AOK
    mtbr member
    I found my I9 wheels to be slightly stiffer than a wheel with normal steel spokes. Near instant engagement on the rear hub, and very nice looking.

My problem with the I9 rear hub is that it has an incredible amount of drag vs. my other wheels with DT 240s hubs. Even after I removed 3 pawls from the I9 there was still a ton of drag. I was having chainsuck issues every time I even thought about ratcheting the pedals. I tried several types of grease in the freehub mech with no better results. Finally gave it up and switched to a pair of Specialized Rovals (which have DT 240s innards).

Of the three high end hubs I have recent experience with, the I9s definitely have the most drag (other two hubs being 240s and King).

Committed
    Quote Originally Posted by AOK View Post
    I found my I9 wheels to be slightly stiffer than a wheel with normal steel spokes. Near instant engagement on the rear hub, and very nice looking.

My problem with the I9 rear hub is that it has an incredible amount of drag vs. my other wheels with DT 240s hubs. Even after I removed 3 pawls from the I9 there was still a ton of drag. I was having chainsuck issues every time I even thought about ratcheting the pedals. I tried several types of grease in the freehub mech with no better results. Finally gave it up and switched to a pair of Specialized Rovals (which have DT 240s innards).

Of the three high end hubs I have recent experience with, the I9s definitely have the most drag (other two hubs being 240s and King).
    That amount of drag is not normal. The bearing issue I refered to above was just like you described. With a replaced bearing the issue was resolved. The bearing seemed fine out of the hub, it must have been out of spec. Maybe you got one as well.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by 1soulrider View Post
    That amount of drag is not normal. The bearing issue I refered to above was just like you described. With a replaced bearing the issue was resolved. The bearing seemed fine out of the hub, it must have been out of spec. Maybe you got one as well.
    I was going to comment similarly...either the requisite break-in period hasn't been completed...or the bearing preload is excessive....or, there is an inherent warranty issue!

mtbr member
    Yes I9, easton havoc, and enve are awesome wheels, but hadley's are some of the nicest hubs on the market. Flow rims are pretty sweet also. Just an fyi straight gauge spokes make for a substantially stiffer wheel compared to butted spokes.

mtbr member
    In response to the OP's question of stiffness and durability:

I put the dh I9 set on my DHR at the beginning of the 2011 season. The stiffness and rotating weight difference was incredible. My bike was noticeably more agile and responsive. N.B. This is contrasted to a Bombshell wheelset that I removed because... well, that's too long of a story...

Regarding durability- At the end of the season, they are still 100% true, no hops, and no blown out spokes. Two however, are bent in the rear and one in the front, which I consider normal wear/ tear. So, very durable.

Drag is a factor. However, the near- instant engagement offsets that issue for me. Especially since gravity is assisting me.

We are likely comparing apples to apples when it comes to the high end wheel sets available, but I like I9... and their customer service is top notch. So yeah, I think it would be a very good upgrade!

Delirious Tuck
    I have 4 sets of i9s with i9 spokes and 1 set of classics. Using for AM 26er (since 2008 no issues with regular maintenance), 29er SS (since 2010, no issues with regular maintenance), DH 26er (this season with about 12 days on the lifts in NE style chunk, no issues), Classics to flows are fine since 09.

Drag for me isn't as important as engagement. I ride a lot of tech, up and down, where the ability to quickly transfer power is important, in fact, there isn't too much flowy trail around here so you're either bombing down hill or ratcheting up hill so the Drag is a non-factor for my riding.

My 32h Flows on my 29er SS (Enduro 29er wheelset not SS) are SIGNIFICANTLY stiffer than my DT240 w/Flows and DT Super Comp spokes, no comparison really.

I'd love to get Enves to I9s if they can ever figure out the eyelet/ERD issues for the Sultan and replace the DT240.
    Last edited by thefriar; 11-03-2011 at 09:18 AM.

T , V , & K Rider
    Nov 2004
    Thanks for all the great responses, I am still interested in trying a Industry Nine wheel set though admittedly have been a Hadley hub fan for a long time and still am ! The drag thingy has me a little concerned but agree that proper upkeep ( maintenance) of your wheels is essential regardless of make ! TIG.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Engagement is the biggest benefit as far as I can tell.