mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Sultan DW & Sultan TNT

Sorry for lame question - I have a 2008 Sultan TNT. Saw 2009 Sultan DW closeout on Competitive Cyclist. Now I'm obsessing about getting the Sultan DW. Do you think is worth it? i.e. enough difference vs Sultan TNT? Or wait until something "really" different like Intense Tracer 29 (or something else) comes out? If it helps, I also own a Nomad.

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    Yes. Get it if it's a good deal. Understand that the DW Sultan is a little heavier and slacker than the TNT, though. It's more plush and bombs on the descents.

Space Ghost
    Depends on what you want out of your new ride. What do you want the new ride to have that your TNT doesn't do? I went through the same thing. I liked my Sultan (TNT) a lot, but wanted a more plush ride and maybe a little more travel. I would have bought a DW Sultan, but couldn't justify the price of admission. I settled for the RIP9 w/120mm fork. It is a fantastic trail bike and I have done a couple endurance events on it. I will say that I still lust after a new Sultan though. If you want your new sled to pedal well, but have a little more plush and thrashability, I think the new DW would be the ticket. I wouldn't wait for Intense. Even when/if they bring that bike to market, with all the changes they keep making, I wouldn't want a first run. Good luck.
    "No good deed goes unpunished"

Snapper

Tntdwlturnersultan

I have a TNT with 100mm fork and DWL SUltan with 120mm fork and it really depends on what you want to do on it. The DWL is certainly more plush, stiff, capable of handling some rough stuff but l dont believe it out performs the TNT on smooth and flowing trails / for racing - enduros. I dont know if other DWL owners have experienced this but l find the DW is slightly slower / sluggish / drags alittle on the flat flowing. Now before anyone jumps down my throat, there are many factors that may contribute to that - tyres, terrian, front fork travel, A2C, rear shock settings, mojo rising or not, emotions, starsigns - and head / seat angles. It really does depend on what you want to do on it. The TNT is very capable, lighter, simple, efficient, and (IMO) rides alittle tighter than the more trail worthy DWL. Simply the TNT can do 90% of what the DWL can do 95% of the time. The only time l really miss the DWL is on chunky climbs and bombing the downs. One thing l have noticed is the importance of running a stiff wheelset is magnified on the TNT as it is not as stiff as the DWL. The DWL is a terrific bike but 90% of us dont really need this much bike, suspension, adjustablity, capability, bling and rugged good looks. Hell l rode my DWL on the weekend and was so busy changing air pressures, compression settings, rebound, stem height, saddle height and tyre pressure to get it right l didnt enjoy my ride as much as l should. l really wish l had a steel hardtail with 80mm forks and take away the distraction of so many options. I think l am having a midlife crisis on line.

While l am getting off topic, may l ask is it normal too run a setback post with the seat right back, and 120mm stem on an XL SUltan (Average build 6.4 with normal leg and arm lengths) too feel comfortable or have l gone too far. I hate running long stems but l just cant get comfortable and have to go to extremes. I am also more comfortable running Jones bars on the TNT and like my bars 1 inch lower than the seat - am l going mad. Do 6.4 riders fit easily on XL bikes without extremes or is 120mm stem sadly a fact of life. I should go and get fitted properly and perhaps look at the custom option. 29er are a godsend for big blokes, l am sold on that, but just cant get everything else to flow/fit/measure up.

DOes anyone else sometimes get lost in all the options / bling / adjustablity / latest and greatest and technology?

To the OP - if you are like me and it is cheap, you will probably buy it and expect it to make life / riding / your marriage / sexlife / and relationship with your kids better - and it very likely wont.

Thanks for letting me get that out - it is like a THERAPY session only cheaper and global.

JD

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Thank you all for you kind replies. JohnD: thanks for the reality check - yes, I was fantasizing that the DWL would also make a little taller, better looking, etc - but (sadly) you are probably right - it won't. I am 5'11 to 6'00 on a really good day and I ride an XL with a 50mm stem. Does not seem out of place that you would need a 120mm stem on an XL. That said, it seems most people my height always seem to opt for a L frame - so maybe I have the same problem you have.

Snapper

Same boat

Quote Originally Posted by ForestHorse
    Thank you all for you kind replies. JohnD: thanks for the reality check - yes, I was fantasizing that the DWL would also make a little taller, better looking, etc - but (sadly) you are probably right - it won't. I am 5'11 to 6'00 on a really good day and I ride an XL with a 50mm stem. Does not seem out of place that you would need a 120mm stem on an XL. That said, it seems most people my height always seem to opt for a L frame - so maybe I have the same problem you have.
    FH - no problems. I am just selling my TNT for something with curves in Titanium (no not an high class hooker). Just rode it again and it is such a great simple and efficient bike. I also found that a new wheelset or fork or rear shock tune can really bring an older rig to life, hell even some new rubber.
    Suprises me that you are on an XL but if you can get your front end low enough for climbing and you are not too stretched out for technical stuff then go for it. I would much prefer riding a larger bike with shorter stem than smaller bike with longer stem. I got my LBS to fit me and l have had my seat too far back and need to invert my stem so have made the changes and need to learn to feel right again.
    Take care
    JD
    P.S I think the DWL has made me a better lover but you would have to ask my wife.

Delirious Tuck
    I'm a bit more of an aggressive rider and LOVE the DW Link Sultan. I sold the TNT to make room, and I find the DW excels in the terrain that makes New England such a techspecial place to ride. I don't have much fast, smooth flowy trail, but on the rocky rooty tech we see all over here the DW has been the better bike. It handle drops admirably and is still a fast bike.

Like John, I'm playing with shock settings, but b/c I'm a 6'2'' 240ish lbs clyde I need something a bit more progressive than the RP23, I'm trying:
    -Standard Air Sleeve
    -If that doesn't work, Big Hit tune from PUSH
    -and if that doesn't work, a CCDB

I would love to get an extra 1* of HTA slacker, and am going to attempt this with a 140mm Marz Ti. Will post up once I lengthen it out.

This bike is a keeper. Fast enough to hang with the XC weight conscious crowd and plush enough to not flinch when I take a more All Mtn oriented line.

I just want a tapered HT.

Snapper

You are spot on Friar

It is a great trail bike, perhaps the best l have ever owned. I love the CCDB on mine but like you Friar would love more fork options. Fox are my favourite fork but only 120 with 15mm TA just wont cut it.
    Please let us know about the Marz fork
    Cheers
    JD

mtbr member
    The 140mm fork is perfect for this bike imho!

mtbr member
    jncarpenter: do you have a HTA for us with the 140mm fork? how is climbling with the 140? planted or wandering? with the 140 did you shorten your cockpit or do you kinda wish for a smaller sultan frame size ? thanx!

mtbr member
    The increase in a-c was only 20mm....so it wasn't a huge difference in geometry. Less than 1* in HTA for sure.

I don't have any issues on even the steepest of our local climbs.

mtbr member
    thanx! if you don't mind, i'd like to ask you in a different way. if i remember your earlier posts of a couple of years ago, you played with a lot of different setups with the older TNT sultan. after trying the 140mm up front on the DW version, does it leave you with the feeling you would want a redesigned 140mm front AND rear sultan with a slackened HTA of 69 degrees and less? would that be the setup you're really looking for? thanx again for your comments!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by starre
    thanx! if you don't mind, i'd like to ask you in a different way. if i remember your earlier posts of a couple of years ago, you played with a lot of different setups with the older TNT sultan. after trying the 140mm up front on the DW version, does it leave you with the feeling you would want a redesigned 140mm front AND rear sultan with a slackened HTA of 69 degrees and less? would that be the setup you're really looking for? thanx again for your comments!
    So you're asking if I'd like it lower/slacker still? I personally would...tho I suspect Turner would lose alot of sales if they did...my personal preference isn't the most popular for this particular genre of bike.

Maybe a 68* HTA and slightly lower bb would be perfect with the 140mm fork.

Delirious Tuck
    I should have my 140mm on next weekend! Can't wait to put it to the test.

Delirious Tuck
    JNC... out of curiosity, where's you BB height sitting now? I'm hoping the wee slackness of the HTA and the wee increase in BB height will make the Sultan as mean as my Tracer in New England terrain.

mtbr member
    ~13.7" with Ardent 2.4's

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I'm also thinking about going with the DW but first I need to sell my 08 Sultan XL. Anyone have thoughts on what a fair asking price is? The frame is in great condition, no dents, just the minor scratches that are to be expected with 2 seasons of riding.
    I checked the web and coulnd't find a lot of active classifieds but in recent months I saw people has been asking $1K on CL. I'd like to get top price but that seems a little steep.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

6'4"

Hey John,

No, you are not crazy about your bike fit trials, you are too big for the bike. Someone else your exact same dimensions may be OK with a more compact set up, but the way YOU want to fit on the bike you are too big for the XL.

DT

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

6'4"

I am 6'4" don't ride a Sultan but an XL Turner with similar reach geometry. I couldn't imagine a 120mm stem and laid back post. I run a 70mm stem & a 0 offset post. I guess it is personal preferance but I have not had a stem that long for @ least 10 years.

Snapper

Thanks DT

Quote Originally Posted by turnerbikes
    Hey John,

No, you are not crazy about your bike fit trials, you are too big for the bike. Someone else your exact same dimensions may be OK with a more compact set up, but the way YOU want to fit on the bike you are too big for the XL.

DT
    DT

You might be right there DT but l have since changed my set up drastically. I am now riding with a 90mm stem (zero rise), 750mm wide flat bars and inline gravity dropper post and have found the more upright position more suitable for alround trail riding. I seem to fit well and dont find l am now cramped or trying to stretch out - strange. If l have a long xc ride or commuting then a 110 stem and narrow bars and setback post is there to use. Such a big difference to pedaling with my seat further forward (inline post) - l think the setback had me too far back behind the pedals. Over the years l go from short and wide to long and low and back again - a bit like a mid life crisis. Oh and the CCDB was tuned way out - l returned it to factory settings and tweaked it abit and it is great for me (more time riding less time fiddling). The XL Sultan is 25.25 TT which l always thought would be perfect considering l have been riding 24.5 TT 26ers for years. You got me thinking l should be on an XXL but cost of replacement here in Australia is too much so will have to make it work. Always thought l should be more stretched out than required -shorter has been a revelation for me.
    Thanks for the feedback
    John