Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Sub 40 pound Highline?

2K views 43 replies 16 participants last post by  SHAHEEB 
#1 ·
Curious if anyone has done it.... with durable parts... beefy tires... and a coil rear shock. I'm not really that concerned about it, just curious to see what people have done. I keep looking at my 888 and wondering how it would ride with a single crown instead. I accidentally put it on the shop scale yesterday and it was just under 44 pounds. I could probably shed some weight and increase performance if I didn't ride with a big bag of cheetos in my backpack, but that's not really an option.

#2 ·
You only carry a bag of Cheetos, I've got a spare tire that I'm carrying around:D . I never have weighed my Highline but considering some of the parts came off a Demo 9 (wheelset, cranks) and others were bought because of their strength and durability I'd be willing to bet its around 45. I'm running a 66 and will be running a DHS with a Ti spring so maybe that will bring it down some.

#3 ·
I've decided to focus my attention on reducing the weight above the seat instead.

My HL started out at 40lbs even. After changing from USTs to DHs & tubes, a longer handlebar etc, it's gone to 42.1lbs.
I also be swapping out my old '06 66SL to the heavier '09 RC3 and 888.

I'll just have to eat less and pedal more.

#4 ·
Bikezilla said:
I've decided to focus my attention on reducing the weight above the seat instead.

My HL started out at 40lbs even. After changing from USTs to DHs & tubes, a longer handlebar etc, it's gone to 42.1lbs.
I also be swapping out my old '06 66SL to the heavier '09 RC3 and 888.

I'll just have to eat less and pedal more.
What was your parts spec with the 40 pound version? Or to save some typing... do you have an old pic of it in that state?

#5 ·
Oops, I just looked back, orig build was 41.0lbs My bad.
Since it's an XL and has a big arsed steel spring, you should be able to get to or slightly under 40 no problem.

Spec:
XL Highline Frame (Last of the biguns)
Chris King 32h Hubs
Mavic EX823 rims
Avalanche Chubbie 8.5x2.5 550# spring
'06 66SL
Gravity Light Cranks 22/32
E-13 DRS
E-13 Supercharger
Wellgo MG1 pedals
SRAM X.9 Rder
Shimano XT Fder (plastic tube makes nice cable guide)
Shimano XT 11/34 cassette
Formula The One Brakes 200mm slightly smaller R
Formula Oro hose lines.
Salsa Fuego lock on grips
Thompson 4x 90mmx0* stem (what I had, will likely go shorter)
Thompson post
WTB Laser cro-mo Saddle
Maxle rear bolt
Hope post clamp
Maxxis High Rollers 2.5 UST f&r (no spooge)
Xpel 3M tape on TT, DT, HT, ST, BB, CS, SS & Taco

Total wt: 41.0 lbs dead even!

#7 ·
Mine is in the low 40's now (maybe 42) and I have goals of getting it down just under 40:

Large Highline
2007 Zocchi 66 RC2x
SRAM x9 shifters/deraileurs/cassette
Avid codes
Wheels - hadley, Mavic 721, DT db spokes
Maxxis High roller, Minion 2.5's
Thompson Seatpost
SDG Ti Fly saddle
FSA headset
Easton Vice stem
Race Face Evolve DH cranks
Race Face bar
Mallet 1 pedals

Planned upgrades to drop weight:
Race Face Atlas FR cranks (saves nearly .5 lb)
Mallet 3 pedals (.1 lb)
Point1 Racing stem (.3 lb)
King Headset (.2 lb)
Lighter tires - still figuring this out - have heard Schwalbe BB or MM single ply's are pretty durable. I would only use these for more "trail ride" days, not FR or DH.

Might not make it, but it will be close. If I went to a Fox fork, I could save another lb, but I love my 66 RC2x.

#8 ·
Mine is just over 39lbs. I could go lighter but I really like the build and the durability of every part on it. I chose a pivotal set-up as I never move my seat on this bike and it is dialed in as is. Pics and build list:

08' Turner Highline
08' Totem Coil
08' DHX 5.0 Coil
Codes f/r
DT/Swiss 440 F/R hubs laced to Mavic EX823
Highroller UST rear/DHF UST front
Saint Cranks/BB w/38t chainring
LG-1 Chainguide
Thomson X4 Elite stem, 31.8mm, 50mm
Truvativ Hussefelt bar 31.8mm
Cane Creek Double-X headset
SRAM rear cassette 8-speed w/gripshift
SACHS New Success rear derailleur
Wellgo MG-1 Pedals
Macneil pivotal post, 27.2mm
Macneil SL pivotal saddle
BMW bar ends
Salsa clamp
ODI Rogue lock-on grips

#9 ·
Wow that's quite a wt difference from mine. What size frame is that?

BTW my current setup:

Spec:
XL Highline Frame (Last of the biguns)
Chris King 32h Hubs
Chris King Devolution Headset *soon to be CC DXC LP
Mavic EX823 rims
Avalanche Chubbie 8.5x2.5 550# spring
'06 66SL *will be swapping btwn '09 66RC3 & '09 888 RC3
Gravity Light Cranks 22/32
E-13 DRS (w/ 'spire roller)
E-13 Supercharger
Dark Cycles Aracnid pedals
SRAM X.9 Rder
'09 Shimano XT Fder (plastic tube makes nice cable guide)
Shimano XT 11/34 cassette
Formula The One Brakes 200mm slightly smaller R
Formula Oro hose lines.
Salsa Fuego lock on grips *soon will be ODI
Thompson 4x 50mmx0* stem *soon will have bolt on for 888
Thompson post
Marzocchi Freeride cro-Mo Saddle
Maxle rear bolt
Hope post clamp
Maxxis Ardent DH 2.5 tires 3C
Xpel 3M tape on TT, DT, HT, ST, BB, CS, SS & Taco

Total wt: 42.1 lbs (till new forks go on)

#12 ·
Also, don't let anyone tell you that you can't ride it (uphill or whatever) because it's too heavy.

#13 ·
Mine was right under 41 when I built her. I'm not sure if you could get a large or xl under 40 without stupid light parts that wouldn't make sense. Here's my build:

Final specs:
Frame: Large, smoke black
Rear Shock: CCDB
Fork: 2007 Marz 66 RC2X
Brakes: Hope Mono M4's, 203 front rotor, 183 rear
Wheelset: Mavic EX823 – Hadley
Crankset: 09 Saint
Chainguide: Blackspire Stinger
Cassette: Sram 990 11-34
Shifters:SRAM X9 Triggers
Rear Derailleur: X9 mid cage
Seatpost: Thomson 27.2mm x 410mm
Seat: WTB Pure V Stealth
Headset: King 1.5 Devolution
Stem: Straitline
Bar: Gravity Light
Pedals: Straitline
Tire: Big Betty w/regular tubes (for now)

#17 ·
Demo-9 said:
Mine is just over 39lbs. I could go lighter but I really like the build and the durability of every part on it. I chose a pivotal set-up as I never move my seat on this bike and it is dialed in as is.
Is your scale accurate?

Codes are sort of heavy, big rotors too.
MG-1's are 1/4lb lighter than most platforms.
No front D / shifter / cable should save 3/4 lb.

Solid build though!

Do you like the LG-1? I was thinking about trying to make my own based on that design, but a little lower profile as I just need 32t coverage (better clearance).

#18 ·
Yep accurate shop scale. I was surprised too. The pivotal set-up is very light. No front derailluer or second ring helps too. The LG-1 is lighter than a DRS with bashring. The stem is stupid light. Add all of those up and I think that is the difference.

I am very happy with the LG-1 set-up. I liked it so much I put one on my other bike (Sinister Gruitr) and run a 32 on that. It is a good amount less than a DRS. I swapped it out and noted almost a 1/4 pound difference.

#19 ·
Asking a Highline what it weighs is like asking a chick her weight. Don't do it because she'll be offended. Most importantly don't congratulate your Highline for being pregnant...she's not and she'll just get upset and ride like crap for a while. I would just buy a dozen donuts, leave the box on the seat before you go to bed and night and everything will work out for the best.

#20 ·
In the end it don't mean diddly!

rscecil007 said:
Mine was right under 41 when I built her. I'm not sure if you could get a large or xl under 40 without stupid light parts that wouldn't make sense.
Yeah I hear you. I was just curious about Demo's setup. I'm not trying to go light. My XL built out to 41 even without trying to go light. Funny thing, a good friend built out a smokin Blindside with a great spec and it was easily a 2-3 pounds heavier. And that was a medium frame vs my XL. Of course he prolly picked up a half pound from custom powder coating his components. :rolleyes:

Thing is he's prolly a buckfiddy and I'm twothirty so I've got a better rider-to-bike weight ratio. :D And he's still a buttload faster.:p

#21 ·
Bikezilla said:
Yeah I hear you. I was just curious about Demo's setup. I'm not trying to go light. My XL built out to 41 even without trying to go light.
Same here, my goal was to build mine with durable and reliable components since this bike will get a fair bit of abuse, and I didn't give any thought to weight on anything when buying the part kit. I guess I just got somewhat lucky mine ended up being on the lighter side of things.

#25 · (Edited)
AW_ said:
Curious if anyone has done it.... with durable parts... beefy tires... and a coil rear shock. I'm not really that concerned about it, just curious to see what people have done. I keep looking at my 888 and wondering how it would ride with a single crown instead. I accidentally put it on the shop scale yesterday and it was just under 44 pounds. I could probably shed some weight and increase performance if I didn't ride with a big bag of cheetos in my backpack, but that's not really an option.
I've found I like the weighty feeling of my Highline.

Just rode a new Iron Horse 7 point built up with the the exact same build as my Highline (66rc3, roco wc, hadley hubs, Gravity Cranks, code brakes, etc).

That thing felt like riding a tin can compared to the Highline, and the only difference was the frame. Felt good, but not even close to as inspiring for rockin the gnar.

#26 ·
AW_ said:
2 years ago every Highline owner was using short air shocks, 36's, and xc wheelsets. It was hard to find a Highline OVER 40 pounds.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.