Brass Nipples!

Stupid 5.10 shoe questions...

1) What do people do to secure the shoelaces? I haven't done it yet, but the laces seem to be in a position to get snagged on something. I have the mid top shoes and when I try tucking the laces inside my shoe, they're pretty uncomfortable against the bones of my ankle.

2) Any tips on easily changing foot position? Once these things bite on the pins, it seems like I can't adjust my foot. I'd like to be able to pedal on easy sections with the balls of my feet over the spindles like with my clipless shoes, but I'm having trouble moving to the arch of my foot for jumps and drops.
    {Principal Skinner} Hmm. Whoever did this is in very deep trouble.
    {Martin} And a sloppy speller too. The preferred spelling of 'wiener' is w - i - e - n - e - r, although 'e - i' is an acceptable ethnic variant.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    1) Try tucking the ends between the tongue and the laces.

2) I have to pick my foot up off the pedal to reposition.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

Amphibious Technologies
    What Travis said.

Bob, why are you moving your foot forward for jumps. I'm always on the balls of my feet when standing on pedals or moto foot pegs. I feel I am more in control that way.
    "The best you've ridden is the best you know" - Paul Thede, Race Tech

Brass Nipples!
    Sounds like a good lace solution, and an obvious one now that you've said it.

Scubapro, I think airwreck is the one that has said it most often, but it's supposed to be easier on the ankles.

I guess I need to adjust my position on the top of the pedalstroke? It felt right to try this with my foot down, but that just wasn't working: too much stiction.
    {Principal Skinner} Hmm. Whoever did this is in very deep trouble.
    {Martin} And a sloppy speller too. The preferred spelling of 'wiener' is w - i - e - n - e - r, although 'e - i' is an acceptable ethnic variant.

Outcast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob the Wheelbuilder

Scubapro, I think airwreck is the one that has said it most often, but it's supposed to be easier on the ankles.

I guess I need to adjust my position on the top of the pedalstroke? It felt right to try this with my foot down, but that just wasn't working: too much stiction.
    Bob, yes, I adjust at the top of the stroke. It really becomes a practiced act of timing, but it will come to you. As far as foot placement, I too have the pedal pretty mauch centered over the arch of my foot all of the time. It's not efficient, but your foot is in the right place for when the action starts. For my feet and legs, jumpimg with the pedal under the ball of my foot is very painfull

Just Grin and HUCK it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob the Wheelbuilder

You could also just double or triple knot the laces to take up the slack.

As far as adjusting your feet, I found the best way to do it is to adjust the foot at the top of the downstroke, preferably when you're seated.
    MCM# 2007.1

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Bob, after you've ridden with those shoes for a while changing your foot position will come automatically. Kind of like getting used to clipless.

Those are great shoes but keep an eye on the toe of the shoes where the rubber is glued to the faux suade. Every pair I've owned the rubber starts to pull away from the toe after a handful of rides. A little Super glue when it starts keeps it from getting worse.

Amphibious Technologies
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade
    As far as foot placement, I too have the pedal pretty mauch centered over the arch of my foot all of the time. It's not efficient, but your foot is in the right place for when the action starts. For my feet and legs, jumpimg with the pedal under the ball of my foot is very painfull
    Dunno but our local moto instructor (McGrath) teaches to ride with the balls of our feet on the pegs.
    "The best you've ridden is the best you know" - Paul Thede, Race Tech

mtbr member
    I double tie the lace to keep it out of the way and wind you pins in or cut them down.
    I find that I have too much grip on my pedals with long pins.
    Leads to fewer stitches as well
    Stay off the brakes

mtbr member
    double tied 5.10s here and no problems with the laces getting caught in stuff.

trail fairy
    Thats a Homerisim if evea I heard one BTWB no such thing as a stoopid q on this board

Clipped is another form of crutch! like wearing a condom really

It takes persistance and time Bob to unlearn what you have learned, it took me about 3 months, now Im scared to go back to clips not that I have to worry about that for some time, I do have nightmares though when I do sleep LOL!

Flats is FREEEEEEEEEEDOMMMMMMMMMMM..

anyways seriously, allot of this comes back to setup imo eveyone different, pedal type, grippiness and Q factor and re setting ya seat height etc all have an effect, so this all adds to the time factor, but it pays off in time with better technique more confidence, less stress on the knees etc.

I'd make little changes at a time to one thing once ya happy ya have the right pedal shoe combo for you!

Ive had more flat pedal combos than I ever have SPDs and I was still finding the right one tough I was happy on 50/50s till the non sealed bearings crapped out for me the feel Q etc felt good for me, I know many don't like them but its subjective.

Oh I still have my Eggs/Mals for XC in case..

My 2c
    Hope this helps ya out buddy

some humour
    lacing about

thought this may help, never had lacing issues but then I never tie em tight either!

runners world lace up
    Last edited by trailadvent; 04-30-2008 at 03:54 PM.
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

mtbr member
    I went back and forth on clips and flats for years and the last few years clips just suit me more, but every spring I ride flats a bit for the fun of it. It takes time to get used to putting your foot down straight and in the right spot with flats and 5.10 shoes, and you have to get used to keeping your heels down so your feet won't bounce in the rough.

What's funny is like you I spend the winter riding my MX bike, but I'm in the desert and tight twisties of Utah, not the track You don't ride fast singletrack on the balls of your feet or you will get a bark sandwich when you can't find your rear brake fast enough. The type of MX trails I like you get used to covering the rear brake all the time or you just aren't going very fast.
    Scott @ GO-RIDE.com
    Turner DHR
    Pivot Mach 6
    Giant Anthem 27.5
    Salsa Bear Grease C
    Lil Shredder 20" - son's

mtbr member
    How fast do these shoes where out?

mtbr member
    They wear really well unless you drive a Flintstone mobile.

Here's Fred and the family catching like 10ft of air. Unfortunately for Fred 5.10s hadn't been invented yet.

Scott @ GO-RIDE.com
    Turner DHR
    Pivot Mach 6
    Giant Anthem 27.5
    Salsa Bear Grease C
    Lil Shredder 20" - son's

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

flying fred

1st chuckle of the day. thanks
    breezy shade

... I guess you won't be
    Playdeep
    How fast do these shoes where out?
    They really don't - the sticky rubber deforms around the pins without tearing the sole [shoes with conventional rubber will tear to pieces eventually in one or two seasons, or less!]...my 2 year old 5.10's that I use for almost every ride are still looking great - no tears on the sole at all...I do need new laces though.....

5.10's are sticky beasts, eh? I actually went down to my local ACO hardware store, and found the metric drawer in the nuts n' bolts aisle that contained the little removable pins - I bought all the ones I could find that offered a lower profile than the longer pins that came stock on my Tioga MX Pro's .........lower pins = easier adjusting foot position..sitting or standing. They must have wondered "who is buying all our threaded pins...."

And, I do double tie my laces and have never got them caught in the chainring/s....
    Yes, we do indeed rock...http://www.myspace.com/spokedrunkies