Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: STUNG! 1st ride

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack

STUNG! 1st ride

so i took a little ride on the new bike this am. squish was mia but that didnt stop layla and i from gettin the stinger dirty. one of my few solo rides. surprisingly, it rides quicker than the rfx or the burner, even the flux as long as the trail remained smooth. would be nice to see how it compares to a goat-like highline.

i rode my new (again) fave loop in stone park which involves a short scoot on a rollin dirt road to the talbot trail that drops into the park on a semi fast twisty piece of dirt with a few yumps for waterbars. today it was littered with small broken tree limbs after our rains and high winds. i aired it out a tad bit and it reminded me more of a hardtail on landing than a fs rig, not to say it was overly stiff, just harsh but i expected that. some fiddlein with the reboud knob followed for most of the ride. back n forth from 4 turns in to 6, then 5, 2 and finally 3 till a compromise was found. next ride ill mess with air psi (currently at 180) and start over. the x-fly is breakin in nicely after squish rebuilt it last year and saw some time on the burner earlyer this spring. i slowed down the rebound before i left and that helped. raisein its psi from 15 to 22 seems to match the rear pretty well.

a right at the y takes ya down the loess trail, named after the hills and the soil type we ride on. this piece of local heaven is the reason ive been ridin this route. its fast, twisty, tight in places, kinda rooty, undulating but mostly a desent into the bottom of the park and has excellent flow. oh, and it leads to the climb from the planet hell. this sucker meets ya head on after a slowish left and goes up like a fighter jet at a air show. it has multiple pitches so theres a break or 4 in there but they dont last more than 8' so theyre not much of a respite. the stinger really digs in and the 1.8 fire xc pros took to the sticky soil like a $5 hooker to a lonely travelin salesman on a cold midweek night. bob? whos bob? aint no bob here! the front end is a little floaty like ive read about but i am at the top end of reccomended a2c so a shorter fork may negate this. even so, it wasnt that bad and was easly delt with by leanin fwd without loosin the back end. nice. what took me by surprise was how firm the rear avid ultimate veeeeeeeeeee brake felt. didnt notice this amazingly stiff stopper spreadin the stays apart as i thought i might. braking was quite controlable and positive in feel. cool. i need to dial in the front brake. musta missed the pad allignment cuz it howled somethin nutty. a post ride inspection shows they were way into positive camber.

once up top i hung a left onto ruths ridge for the short semi climb to the broken toe trail i skipped over when i turned onto loess. its here the bike began to show how fast it accelerates. just a small pitch up and it didnt seem to matter. the thing is a rocket just as i had hoped for. on the toe, it shows me more. shift to the big ring and hammer the rollin trail, lean and carve the fastest corners without the back end feelin squishy or distant. not as stiff as the rocker bikes but not dissapointing whatsoever. man does this thing carry momentum! bang it down into the mid ring, loose 2 in back and up ya go! i had forgotten how crisp these old 950 shifters are. totally dialed in too. had to get used to the super light action and reverse throw but a experienced finger will find it all again. i was reminded of why i like rapid rise so much as i crested the hills and fed 2 or 2 gears at a time into the thumb paddle and accelerated like a inner city kid on free crack day.

layla and i took a short break on the top of mt lucia before headin back down the toe to talbot and the road. more big ring action and incredible flow. id pump the yumps rather than feel it in flight like before. this thing is almost intuitive when things get tight, twisty and very... very fast. could a nitrous be better? maybe but im not left wantin for one. what a blast! thanx dt. nice work. and a big tip of the hat to rtr for the chance to understand what a true fs xc race rig can bring to the table. im more than impressed.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    No, I'm NOT back!

gravity curmudgeon
    Once while biking I had a bee fly into my mouth and sting me in the back of the throat. After the ride I used a headlamp, a mirror, and tweezers to remove the stinger. I've had more fun.

Your idea of a stung ride is better than mine.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Bob? Where was Bob?

Bob was the travelin' salesman, getting stung in his own way.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

maybe so but less entertaining. next time try bottled honey.
    No, I'm NOT back!

right you are! guess ya need a $10 hooker if ya dont want 1 with its own stinger.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Inner city kids never have free Crack. They have to pay for it just like the rest of us common folks. Oh wait....disregard the statement.

Sweet ride...a fast Flux with history- that would be exilarating.

trail fairy
    Wow thanks CC thats the first ride Ive had in 5months, what I mean is that after getting through that read which was awesome I really felt I was there with ya and I had been on a good ride myself

Great write up, we need more of that around here, and ya got piccs so we can see ya behind the bars not the keyboard, glad ya stoked and actually took that machine out into the dirt Pal

Wicked CC

Chur
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    Now I'm having remorse for selling my Stinger all those years ago. There are days when I really do miss having an uberlight FS XC bike. Usually when I'm riding an XC race course. If I could have found a set of the '01 disc stays, I would probably still own that bike.

mtbr member
    I have to keep my nitrous now just to prevent any regrets later in life.
    Stay off the brakes

i could see ya right in front of me the whole ride, except on the climbs when ya rode away and around the corner. was that a dhr ya were on?

glad ya all dig it but no one noticed i wore the old school duds for this ride. drag....
    No, I'm NOT back!

trail fairy
    Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    i could see ya right in front of me the whole ride, except on the climbs when ya rode away and around the corner. was that a dhr ya were on?

glad ya all dig it but no one noticed i wore the old school duds for this ride. drag....
    Haha ya well if I ride away from ya on the climbs, ya got problems Pal!
    Im a techy climber but fast uphill long grindy ones was never my strength, Im more of a fast outt the gate style of rider, unless its techy, anyways that was my XC Highline ya were missing there buddy, I was running it in SS mode, air shock in the rear with talas up front

I did notice the clothing and didn't want to hurt your feelings besides, I thought it matched the Stinger appropiatley

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

Lay off the Levers
    Good to see you wringing out the new scooter cc.
    There are time I really wish for some fast smooth twisty trails near my house. Today was one of those days, I took the flatter smoother trail and it's refreshing when stuff isn 100% technical 80% of the ride.

Rip it up c-man.
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

i got problems. ask rrrrrrrrrrrrrreoder, sparrow, squish or anyone at the '06 thc. homey dont plat dat, charlie dont surf and tom dont climb.
    No, I'm NOT back!

trail fairy
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikezilla
    Good to see you wringing out the new scooter cc.
    There are time I really wish for some fast smooth twisty trails near my house. Today was one of those days, I took the flatter smoother trail and it's refreshing when stuff isn 100% technical 80% of the ride.

Rip it up c-man.
    You know you want a Sultan

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

thanx buddy. my roots were in pure xc ridin and racin so this thing is a blast. if i had 1 of these back then, i may have finished in the top 40% rather than the top 50%. do i get a trophy for that? cant wait till im back in fightin shape so i can make more of its capabilities.

i did find myself in the mid ring where im normally in the small on the burner. same with the big/mid ring. its quick, sure, but the cornerin kinda blew my mind. talk about bein hooked the fock up! theres 2 places where ya cross the creek on a very narrow flat or off camber section. both are very fast, semi tight corners that i slow down for even on the rfx. i was so confident on this thing that i kept all my fingers on the grips today. wow! the tacky soil didnt hurt but weve had that before. think i may have done the same on the flux but im not sure.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Lay off the Levers
    Those clothes were retro?
    Man I gotta dump out my bike drawer.
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

trail fairy
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikezilla
    Those clothes were retro?
    Man I gotta dump out my bike drawer.
    LMFAO....

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

my bike closet is full of old zoic shorts, lycra xc jerseys and fox tee's. even a original turner team jersey i almost wore today but my belly be too big.

ya know what ya need zilla? some of that gold leme xc kit whats her name wore after winnin the olympics!

edit: ah ha! paola pezzo!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    No, I'm NOT back!

trail fairy
    my bike closet is full of old zoic shorts, lycra xc jerseys and fox tee's. even a original turner team jersey i almost wore today but my belly be too big.

ya know what ya need zilla? some of that gold leme xc kit whats her name wore after winnin the olympics!

edit: ah ha! paola pezzo!
    Wait one over!

Got yer Okakey mirrors on yet

Roger roger

Over over

sheesh Im still blinded! too much blingggggggggggg that things looks heavy all that goldddddddd must whey a tone

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

can ya say paint? check the shoes zilla!
    No, I'm NOT back!

trail fairy
    can ya say paint? check the shoes zilla!
    What paint his reds or whites, I can't keep up, what color is he on this week..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

i meant to say the bike is painted, not dipped in gold, and was lighter than hell. she actually raced that setup in that getup but i couldnt find a pic.
    No, I'm NOT back!

trail fairy
    i meant to say the bike is painted, not dipped in gold, and was lighter than hell. she actually raced that setup in that getup but i couldnt find a pic.
    I remember her in gold trim not the bikes though, I never seen her ride a FS, she came to NZ in 97 and raced around Welly in Mt Vic if Im correct and Alison Sydor kicked her butt, now she had some nice legs that girl

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

"Its All Good"
    This thread is perfect for CC & TA, they are the only one that can understand there writings....

Anyway, glad you got out on the new build CC, couldnt get all the way through reading the thread.... I am too young to understand the words or part words, I think it is only for 40+ year olds...
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

rumor is, AS had a better doctor than PP. paola had a outstandin body and always looked much better in a helmet and glasses. i still remember the uk announcer on oln callin out her name louder than anyone elses in his thick accent.... "after the 1st 3 miles, canadas allison sydor with a 2 mile lead. and here comes POW-LAH PET-ZOH!!!!". i found it funny.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast