Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Stuck Down?

  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,123

    Stuck Down?

    Could I have stuck down even though my Rp3 measures 6.5 eye to eye?

  2. #2
    banned
    Reputation: Jerk_Chicken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    16,480
    yep, it's possible. I know I saw that once for myself.

    Initially, the negative chamber gets enough so it's not actually sticking down as much as it requires more air in the main. Then more and more air accumulates in the negative, then it starts sticking down bad and will stay there, generally during a ride.

    Find someone who knows what they're doing with these. Don't want to break another frame becuase of the shock bottoming.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,123
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    yep, it's possible. I know I saw that once for myself.

    Initially, the negative chamber gets enough so it's not actually sticking down as much as it requires more air in the main. Then more and more air accumulates in the negative, then it starts sticking down bad and will stay there, generally during a ride.

    Find someone who knows what they're doing with these. Don't want to break another frame becuase of the shock bottoming.
    The service seems easy enough to give it a try. I never notice it bottoming harshly. Trapped air acting as a negative would make sense, the shock is acting poorly.

  4. #4
    banned
    Reputation: Jerk_Chicken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    16,480
    Use some shock oil. Less than 5cc would be sufficient.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,123
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    Use some shock oil. Less than 5cc would be sufficient.
    Shock oil on top of piston and Prep M on seals, correct?

  6. #6
    banned
    Reputation: Jerk_Chicken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    16,480
    I would omit the Prep M altogether in a suspected sticking-down shock. It would help the oil to condition the seal better.

    Otherwise, you are correct. Slick the inside of the air can with a light film

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,123
    I followed your instructions using only shock oil. When I opened the shock there was no popping noise or anything unusual. I cleaned, reassembled and aired it up. Sitting on the bike with my pack full, I am getting 25% sag at 180psi, propedal lever on (-). My riding weight is approx. 215lbs and I was using 205psi to achieve sag. Rebound also feels very fast when set wide open which it should. Now for a ride. Thanks.

  8. #8
    banned
    Reputation: Jerk_Chicken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    16,480
    Glad to hear it's working. Best of luck for the ride diagnosis. If it worked, it could mean that a slight extra volume of air was trapped in there.

    Remember when you set sag, you need to go up and down several times so the piston passes that bypass port you can see towards the bottom of the air can. This allows the negative chamber to equalize.

    PM me if you need more help.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,123
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    Glad to hear it's working. Best of luck for the ride diagnosis. If it worked, it could mean that a slight extra volume of air was trapped in there.

    Remember when you set sag, you need to go up and down several times so the piston passes that bypass port you can see towards the bottom of the air can. This allows the negative chamber to equalize.

    PM me if you need more help.
    I will try that when setting sag. Seems I am getting inconsistant readings at the same PSI, but the bike has'nt been out of the basement yet. Probably need to get the shock moving alittle.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •