Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Struggling with a 2011 5.Spot due to Rear Disc Brake Post Mount

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  6thElement 
#1 ·
I am thinking its time to move from my 2005 5.Spot to the new DW Link 2011 5.Spot. I never really liked my 2005 5.Spot...the "Large" frame was Too Large. ...compared to my old XCE and O2 frames. Looks like the 2011 Geometry is bit smaller for a Large.

As I've done since my first Turner (1999 XCE), I always try to move my parts over from my old frame to my new frame. (I am the idiot that put Rim brakes on a 5.Spot.)

I know I need a new Headset and new Seat Post..or a set of shims....but I am struggling with the Rear Disc brake. Back in the day of 9-Speed, Shimano's BR-M975 Calipers were available with IS Mounts. It was a perfect match for the Rear IS Mounts on the Frame with a simple, 160mm Rotor. The 2011 5.Spot uses Post Mounts built into the Frame for the Rear Disc.

I posted this on the 'Brake Time' Forum, but thought I would try here.

Does anyone know of an Disc Mount Adapter that will work to attach a Shimano BR-M975 IS Caliper to a Rear Post Mount built into the Frame with 160mm Rotor?

#3 ·
I had the same issue in 2007. I wanted to mount a Deore 555 brakes set onto a Fox 36 post mount.

In order to make this work, you will need a larger rotor (180mm) and a shimano adapter (SHIMANO SM-MAF180). The adapter is also available for 203mm discs.

I am 90% sure that the parts to use the 160 rotor are not avilable/possible.

#4 ·
Default Rotor Size on 2011 5.Spot Post Mount Rear Disc

Ok, I might look around for an old Post Mount Caliper to use on the Rear of a 2011 5.Spot.

Just to be clear....the 'default' Rotor size for the Rear Disc Post Mount of a 2011 5.Spot without an Adapter is 160mm...meaning, I would just mount the BR-M975 Post Mount Caliper DIRECTLY to the frame on the rear and this would support a simple, 160mm Rotor....Correct?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.