mtbr member

Hope Stripping my 5 spot

Hey people,

Just wanted to share my project with all you common interest folk. I'm in the process of stripping the paint off the 2010 5 spot with the intentions of leaving it "raw".

I've had the bike operational for about one season, (I am the second owner of the frame). I was never really a fan of the colour to begin with and with the frigid Canadian winter weather around the courner, I thought, why not strip it!

Here is my progress so far...

Frame stripped of all components.

Stripping my 5 spot-dsc_0035.jpg

Stickers, headset, shock and hardware removed.

Stripping my 5 spot-dsc_0308.jpg

Small test patch with some circa 1850 stripper.

Stripping my 5 spot-dsc_0309.jpg

Test area with full sanding and fine steel wool

Stripping my 5 spot-dsc_0310.jpg

So, I've realized two things up to this point. First, the paint is a real bi*ch to get off, even with such a strong stripper as circa 1850 which does contain Methanol, and second, To assure that I get all of the paint off, I have to use some sort of an abrasive material which results in a brushed finish. What is my solution, you might ask? I've decided to bring the frame to my local custom car bodywork garage and have the guy soda blast it for about $50.

I will post results with pictures as soon as I pick up the frame and then later, pictures of the completed build and a side by side of the old build "colour" build and the new "raw build. Ooooh I can just feel the cringing anticipation in all of your guts
    ..... ___@
    ... _`\<,_
    .. (*)/ (*)
    .. ~~~~~~~~

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Cool, look forward to seeing the end result!!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Me too! I should be getting the frame back this week, so hopefully I can get it all finished withing a couple of weeks. Don't know how long the decals are going to take to come from Turner...hope they don't get stuck at the boarder.
    ..... ___@
    ... _`\<,_
    .. (*)/ (*)
    .. ~~~~~~~~

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Just did mine a couple of weeks ago: Stripping a DW Spot

True the poweder coat was such a PITA to strip. Took me 4 whole days to finish it. It left a small coating of gray/silver paint/primer on it. I didn't want to fuss around with that so I left it as is. Turned out to be ok. Not raw - raw, but better than the battered Sangria paint.

Post up pics as soon as you get yours back!

mtbr member
    Sweet, looks pretty good from here. Neat idea putting the decals down the underside of the tube.

I was able to get past the grey primer with a bit of hard rubbing with medium steel wool, although I'd rather, if I can, keep the finish dull and "raw" as opposed to brushed and shiny...but I guess I could live with that as a second option. I like the idea of no coating to scuff up and it has a nice industrial look.

I did some research on soda blasting and found that it is probably the ideal option for this type of job. It has very low abrasion, is relatively cheap and environmentally sound. Guy at the shop said that it won't pit or eat at the metal at all, also, he told me there's no reason why I can't leave the raw aluminum untreated.
    ..... ___@
    ... _`\<,_
    .. (*)/ (*)
    .. ~~~~~~~~

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Yeah same here. I did a small spot test under the BB and did not like the brushed shiny look. Since we don't have any sandblasters in our area, I stuck with the thin layer of gray and will just let it naturally fade to raw alu over time. Pretty happy with it though.

I ordered a DHR downtube decal for the frame for a change. Hope it won't get chipped off.

GAME ON!
    i will also be doing this
    RIP Adam Yauch

"M.C. for what I AM and do, the A is for Adam and the lyrics; true"

mtbr member
    Ok, so there was a slight hiccup today when I went to check on the frame. Apparently even the blasting was having trouble getting past the final "primer" layer. The guy thinks it's some sort of rubberized material and not actually a primer. He called me in basically to ask if I wanted to continue because he charges $250/hour and it could possibly take almost an hour as apposed to the 15 or so minutes he originally thought. Luckily for me, I bought this frame at such a good price that even if it take a full hour, I will still only have invested pennies compared to what these frames generally go for used.

I'll keep you all posted, I should be getting it back mid next week.
    ..... ___@
    ... _`\<,_
    .. (*)/ (*)
    .. ~~~~~~~~

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Did you think to call Turner or Olympic Powder Coating ? they would be able to help .i would tell that $250 an hr guy to forget it ..

GAME ON!
    here is mine after 3 and 4 days of stripping

RIP Adam Yauch

nocturnal oblivion
    $250/hour?! I know strippers can be expensive but he must be REALLY good.
    "...like sex with the trail." - Boe

nocturnal oblivion
    ^^^BTW, my first post in months, that's what it took to reel me back in.
    "...like sex with the trail." - Boe

mtbr member
    Sorry for the delay...So yeah, I took the frame back from the soda blaster after calling Turner and getting a $60 quote from just stripping, though, I would still have to pay shipping both ways so still not worth it. I eventually went to a high end road bike store in my area, (la bicicletta), and the owner referred me to a custom bike painter, (Velo Colour), who also happened to be in my area, who charged me $60 for a strip. He used an acid stripper from what I understand and even still, it did not remove every little bit. I am now left with the tedious task of removing all the hard to reach spots myself.

What the heck did Turner paint this frame with, concrete?

I will post pictures of how it looks now, this weekend and then when I get it all done.

Btw ^ nice job! How easily was the paint coming off and what stripper did you use? I'm using circa 1850 and it works but just barely.
    ..... ___@
    ... _`\<,_
    .. (*)/ (*)
    .. ~~~~~~~~

GAME ON!
    i wouldn't say it's coming off easily. it still required scraping with a plastic scraper. some spots just won't come off no matter how many times i apply the stripper. i still may end up having to use sandpaper or steel wool. if that's the case, i'll paint it. i was hoping to leave it raw but that is looking less and less like a possibility.

this is what i'm using Heirloom Robust Furniture Stripper it's a gel.
    RIP Adam Yauch

mtbr member
    Yeah, sounds familiar...circa 1850 is a paste as well. I am a professional painter/historical Preservationist and have used it many times for stubborn paints so I figured it would work well.

I also think I need to use steel wool and fine sand paper but I don't mind a brushed look just would have preferred a "raw" finish. I definitely won't re-paint the frame as my intention was to keep it bare to avoid paint chips and scratches. I guess the up-side to a brushed look would be if the frame gets an ugly scratch across the dt or something, you could in theory, just buff it out.
    ..... ___@
    ... _`\<,_
    .. (*)/ (*)
    .. ~~~~~~~~

Crazed Country Rebel
    Quote Originally Posted by 8shadow8 View Post
    Yeah, sounds familiar...circa 1850 is a paste as well. I am a professional painter/historical Preservationist and have used it many times for stubborn paints so I figured it would work well.

I also think I need to use steel wool and fine sand paper but I don't mind a brushed look just would have preferred a "raw" finish. I definitely won't re-paint the frame as my intention was to keep it bare to avoid paint chips and scratches. I guess the up-side to a brushed look would be if the frame gets an ugly scratch across the dt or something, you could in theory, just buff it out.
    I used a couple bottles of Jasco metal etch, plus many wire brushes on my dremmel, plus lots of sand paper and steel wool.

it's a beyotch.
    Stupid, but sometimes witty. Occasionally brilliant. Slow and fat though.

Specialized sucks dong

mtbr member
    iheartbicycle,

Did you leave the frame brushed or did you re-paint it? If bare, how is the finish holding up?
    ..... ___@
    ... _`\<,_
    .. (*)/ (*)
    .. ~~~~~~~~

Crazed Country Rebel
    Quote Originally Posted by 8shadow8 View Post
    iheartbicycle,

Did you leave the frame brushed or did you re-paint it? If bare, how is the finish holding up?
    I left it bare. It does oxidize over time. But it's easy to brighten up with a little metal polish.

Specialized sucks dong

mtbr member
    Finally got around to finishing the frame. After the frame was stripped, I went over it with a wire wheel on my dremel and then scotch bright pads then cleaned with soap and water. I used some alcohol to clean the spots where the stickers go to make sure there was no dirt. turned out really nice. Just need to build it back up

[IMG][/IMG]
    ..... ___@
    ... _`\<,_
    .. (*)/ (*)
    .. ~~~~~~~~

roots, rocks, rhythm
    Very nice!
    That is my favourite look...
    I would have gone one step less and no stickers just a head badge.
    But that is just me.....

GAME ON!
    here's what i've done over the past couple of months

RIP Adam Yauch

Crazed Country Rebel
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine View Post
    here's what i've done over the past couple of months

Looks great!

Specialized sucks dong

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    If you want a nice polished look hit it with mothers aluminum polish ,i did mine and i spent a week just polishing sections at a time till i had it the way i wanted it them went over the entire frame with it total time was probably 4 hrs and it looks awesome

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by trnrbrnr View Post
    If you want a nice polished look hit it with mothers aluminum polish ,i did mine and i spent a week just polishing sections at a time till i had it the way i wanted it them went over the entire frame with it total time was probably 4 hrs and it looks awesome
    Post pics please, i'd like to see the result.

mtbr member
    Can't help but post. Not a 5-spot but I had the same pain last week. I bought this VERY USED and ABUSED frame last Monday night and proceeded to use all my free time during the week to strip the spayed-on flat black and original green powder coat (I'd say at least 8 hrs, about 2 dozen chemical strip passes, lots of scraping). Then about a couple of hours of 600 grit sanding/buffing wheel/hand polishing. I think the real challenge here is due to the way Turner prepped the surface (it had to had been acid-treated... the powder coat just would not let go... haha!) It's not mirror-shiny (and I don't want it to), but it'll do (there's still some green residue on the very corners, but I don't care... I'll clean those off at some point). I rode it for the first time yesterday and this bike is the real deal (it's a cornering freak).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Stripping my 5 spot-turner-1.jpg  

Stripping my 5 spot-turner-2.jpg  

Stripping my 5 spot-turner-3.jpg  

Stripping my 5 spot-turner-4.jpg  

Stripping my 5 spot-turner-5.jpg