mtbr member
    May 2005

Stinger any good?

I have a short travel Sugar, am thinking of finding a used Stinger frame and transferring all the parts, then have a Stinger and Burner....but dont know much about the Stinger. Weight? Problems with the pull-type rear shock?
    Thanks!

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian
    I have a short travel Sugar, am thinking of finding a used Stinger frame and transferring all the parts, then have a Stinger and Burner....but dont know much about the Stinger. Weight? Problems with the pull-type rear shock?
    Thanks!
    The shock on the Stinger is a Fox Float R. It uses the standard air spring seals as a "push" float, so parts availability for the seals is not a problem. The damper unit is non-standard, but mine had zero problems.

The frame weight on the Stinger is around 5.5 lbs, so it was light for a FS frame in its day. There are some frames out there (Flux) that weigh about the same, but frankly, work better. The design is the same as a K2 Razorback (K2 licenses the design from DT) with a Horst Link. If you can find a K2 it would give you a good idea of how the suspension and frame design behave.

Mr.Secret

New Stinger

Thanks!
    I have a new 18 in. 23 in. T.T. never been built. P.M. me & I'll tell you about it. I'm new with this so bear with me.........

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    for what its worth, i had a chance to give the 1st production frame a quick test ride at cactus cup in '96(?). not much of a test ride really but one thing i did do was to test the lateral flex of the whole enchalada as that was my main worry by lookin at it. i was way suprised by how it stayed in one line no matter how hard i pushed and pulled and it accelerated like a scared kitten. kinda harsh but hey, it was a race only bike much like the nitrous is now. as i recall they also had some regular success in the cal state xc series for the better part of 2 years. it might just be a really fun little bike to own. would love one for grins and giggles.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Thanks!
    I had one for a while, but eventually sold it, mainly because I'm 220lbs and not to wild about riding a frame with a limit of 170lbs.

Overall it's a very nice bike, and generally underrated. You can get them very cheap these days. I have also ridden a K2 Razorback, and I don't know if it was the shock or what, but it didn't ride nearly as nicely.

The handling of the Stinger is noticably quicker than the Burner, and the short wheelbase makes it climb very well. In fact, if you could talk the Push guys into doing the rear shock (they currently don't, try sending them beer), you'd have a bike that's really close to the Nitrous.

I eventually had my pull-shock rebuilt, because it leaked from the rebound knob, but other than that it was bombproof, and the leak it had couldn't have been related to it being a Push shock, just age.

Overall, you can't go wrong with the Stinger.

mtbr member
    May 2005

Thanks for the stinger info...

will look into that frame some more, much appreciated!