mtbr member

still selling my 5 spot

unfortunately, no one bit for my turner 5 spot. i rode it once, less than 5 miles. i lowered the starting cost for the auction, the buy it now is the same. i'm doing it via ebay for safety reasons, but feel free to pm me any questions you may have.

but feel free to check it out at http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MESE%3AIT&rd=1

-joshua...

No, that's not phonetic
    Wow, what a beautiful bike. Bummer. Sorry to see you having to let it go, but hopefully someone will buy it and beat it silly like Dog intended.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    Wow, what a beautiful bike. Bummer. Sorry to see you having to let it go, but hopefully someone will buy it and beat it silly like Dog intended.
    agreed.

excellent description there on eBay too, helenforsdale.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

It's rough.

Quote Originally Posted by helenforsdale
    unfortunately, no one bit for my turner 5 spot. i rode it once, less than 5 miles. i lowered the starting cost for the auction, the buy it now is the same. i'm doing it via ebay for safety reasons, but feel free to pm me any questions you may have.

but feel free to check it out at http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MESE%3AIT&rd=1

-joshua...
    My bud bought a basically brand new 5-spot (looked brand new to me) kitted out with XTR/SRAM X-O drivetrain w/ Chris King hubs and headset, Thompson controls etc etc for 2800. Unfortunately that's what the market will bear for a used bike, even if it's only been used once!

Dave

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Keep the bike, helenforsdale...youre gonna take a bath on it.

Full Monty Bike Bore
    Nov 2004
    Sure does look like a fine steed and a shame that you're having to part with it.

Perhaps you could split it to gain a few more $'s ? If you do, then I might be interested in a few bits...
    [SIZE="1"]Knobblies MTBing Blog

"Always carry a flagon of whisky in case of a snakebite, furthermore, always carry a snake" W.C.Fields[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    thanks guys. i'm really sad to see it going. instead of buying it, i instead get some rude e-mails about how expensive it is. the person claiming they've sold "many expensive bikes" on ebay and that i should relist it w/ a lower price. annoyed me - if the fellow has many expensive bikes that he's selling - well, he can probably afford to have more than one 5k bike . this thing took me a while to earn and i was really excited to get it. just kind of annoyed me. i'm not trying to scam anyone - just would like to get close to breaking even.

cheers,

-joshua...

Neg reppers r my biatches
    Jan 2004
    exactly what i was thinking.....$3000 may be doable but i will be surprised if it goes for more....perhaps a tad more, but definitely not more than low 3s

mtbr member

Part it out

I agree with Farqui, you should part it out. It will be a ton more work, but you will probably make money with all the craziness on Ebay. Good luck.

Kirt

ps. Just keep it!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Would be interested in frame if split (in UK)
    Thanks in advance

Jan 2004
    thanks guys. i'm really sad to see it going. instead of buying it, i instead get some rude e-mails about how expensive it is. the person claiming they've sold "many expensive bikes" on ebay and that i should relist it w/ a lower price. annoyed me - if the fellow has many expensive bikes that he's selling - well, he can probably afford to have more than one 5k bike . this thing took me a while to earn and i was really excited to get it. just kind of annoyed me. i'm not trying to scam anyone - just would like to get close to breaking even.

cheers,

-joshua...
    it is indeed painful....i just sold a decked out bike myself and feel the pain.

i do think that parting it out will "generally" get you more coin as other have noted. downside of course is that it is a pain to deal with multiple shipments etc.....

i am confident you will get $3000 so while that is a loss for sure, that shoudl not be a problem I dont think.

No, that's not phonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    i just sold a decked out bike myself and feel the pain.
    But the pain came from the realization that you didn't need to sell it and are now shopping for an equally expensive bike to ignore.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

Baked Alaskan
    Its a great build and $3k is a good price, but as a bidder - no way I'll bid on anything that starts at $3k, even if I was willing to pay that much for it. 10-day auctions are a chore too - most of the action hits in the last couple days - what a waste of time.

If you're serious about selling go no reserve and a lower starting bid and let it ride. Judging from the setup - it'll go for something close to that anyway. The steep price of entry will likely scare potential buyers away. I don't even look at auctions that start anywhere above $500 or so.

Just my 2 cents - good luck and what a shame to have to let it go.

Another question - if you're asking $3k for it, why didn't you pay [SIZE="5"]$2[/SIZE] for an MTBR classified and just price it accordingly? The ad goes ffor a month and will cost only a fraction of what an auction will after all the ridiculous fees ebay charges.

That's something that's always irritated me - the amount of money they get after an auction - listing fees, percentage of selling price, and even a damn paypal fee if you get paid through them. Hopefully google auctions will take off soon and put a dent in the ebay monopoly. O-K, rant off.
    The red couch has moved from Alaska to Florida...

mtbr member
    I did put an ad on mtbr - and got nothing but scammers.

we'll see what happens this time around on ebay. i have tons of people "watching" i don't think i'll get 4k for it - but people who are looking for this kind of bike can generally afford the price tag i've got going now.

i definitely don't want to piece the thing out - way too much work. this is already painful enough as is.

thanks for all the nice words and advice, i really appreciate it.

-joshua...

Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    But the pain came from the realization that you didn't need to sell it and are now shopping for an equally expensive bike to ignore.
    huh? i was never looking at another expensive FS to replace it......waste of money for me.

I actually have a TRADE posted for one of my many single speeds for which i currently have a few bites....no net cost to get a geared bike this way. notice all i care about is geared...hard tail geared....29er FS geared....etc.
    Last edited by FoShizzle; 06-01-2006 at 10:24 AM.

mtbr member
    i relisted it as a 7 day auction. i really don't have the stomach to lower the cost of the auction though. i really don't want to let it go for under 3k - and really, i can't afford to. i'm not charging people for the ebay or paypal fees. but i just can't keep the bike. mtb'ing in nyc is a really expensive and difficult hobby - not easy to get out of the city, plus the terrain isn't quite what i enjoy riding. i'm not in a financially comfortable position where i can afford to do this. i enjoy biking, but i can find other easier and cheaper ways to fill my jonsing. i'm a musician, and i'd never be able to part w/ any of my instruments or amps - biking i do for leisure, so i have to just be an adult about it and let it go - for now.

-joshua...

banned
    I did put an ad on mtbr - and got nothing but scammers.

we'll see what happens this time around on ebay. i have tons of people "watching" i don't think i'll get 4k for it - but people who are looking for this kind of bike can generally afford the price tag i've got going now.

i definitely don't want to piece the thing out - way too much work. this is already painful enough as is.

thanks for all the nice words and advice, i really appreciate it.

-joshua...
    The problem is lots of people are looking for bargains on a nearly new or new bike, but one thing in mind is that even at a near new price, many people will be scared off by not having a warranty. Second, if I was in the market, that parts selection is respectable, but mostly not what I would use, which is where parting is advantageous, despite being a bit more complicated. I believe parting would yield more money overall and more solid sales. For instance, I think the frame could go for about $1,400, no?

But the high bid won't get many people reeled in and checking and warring against one another. I would have set a $3k reserve, but started the bidding off low.

Lay off the Levers
    Just a psychobservation:

Given web prices for new gear, it's going to be really tough to get anywhere near break-even on a full bike.

If folks can kit their own build for only 2-3 bennys more, most who are not uncomfortable with spending +$3K on a bike would rather pay the premium for the privlage of picking and choosing whatever combination they want, PLUS have the reassurance that it's all perfectly new, comes with a warranty, can be returned in part or whole w/o a hassle, prolly won't be marked anywhere, and will have that fresh-out-of-the-box new feeling.

There probably is no practical differnce between your one-ride bike and a totally fresh kit, but someone plinking down the dollars will probably want a substantial discount for giving up all the above shoppers comforts. I'd imagine that if someone was scrimping and saving every penny to buy such a bike, they would want the same thing.

So getting near new market value is going to take some effort. If you need the dosh you will likely have to take a hit. If you can deal with the wait and the work, parting it out will net you a lot more.
    Countdown to Whistler 2012...
    July can't come fast enough!

Roy
    mtbr member
    Good luck Josh - we hope you get as much as you can for it and that your situation soon stabilizes.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Helenforsdale, I've just seen this on ebay.co.uk

Ebay Scam

They have stolen your ad!

banned
    It would be fun to see how high we can get bidding on it before it gets pulled.

Lay off the Levers
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnW
    Helenforsdale, I've just seen this on ebay.co.uk
    Ebay Scam
    They have stolen your ad!
    Talk about adding insult to injury.
    Sorry for your predicament Josh. I hope it all works out for you soon.
    Countdown to Whistler 2012...
    July can't come fast enough!

not so super...
    Maybe changing the listing to "CUSTOM Turner 5 Spot" might help it sell
    Nothing to see here.

mtbr member
    thanks again, everyone. you've all been very helpful and supportive.

'zilla - the main reason i don't do that, is i honestly hate dealing with ebay. it's an insane amount of work to do it properly and have it work out in yr favor. and as far as this stuff goes - i really don't know enough about biking to sell stuff piecemeal. i'd also have to pay to have the bike professionally taken apart for me - and then there would be about a zillion auctions. so while i really, really need the money - that's a heck of a lot of time and effort - time i can spend doing my freelance hustle, working on music, or riding.

had i seen this auction back in jan, i would have jumped on it. but then again, it's my dream bike.

-joshua...