Zip
    Joe Dirt Status

Stem length and angle question..

What stem length and angle are you running on your Spot. I'm 5-08 and run a Thompson 110 at 5 degrees. I'm thinking about going 100 or 90 at 5 degrees. The reason I ask is I have been riding a series of new trails that have numerous steep chutes and singletrack sections that I find to be a bit more sketchy than what Iím accustom to..

Thanks..

trail fairy
    I have a Medium 06 Spot, Im 5'11" I run a Thomson X4 100mm x 10deg for XC and endurance racing, and a X4 90mm x 10deg for trail riding on a PIKE 454 fork, I find this a perfect combo no compromises for any of the 2 styles of riding.

Course your style will also be a factor, what suits me maybe different for you, but its a starting point, hope this helps ya
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    also body type plays a big role here. short torso, long arms? average? hard sayin not knowin but if pressed into a answer id say knock it down 10mm if yer nervous, 20mm if yer pizzin yerself. could just be that ya need to keep yer stem and adapt to this new style of ridein too. ive ridden some pretty ugly stuff on a flux with a 120mm stem. the pucker factor was high but its all a compromise for the climbs and the twisty bits along the way to those steep chutes.

one thing ive done for my custys is to swap em stems for a ride or 2 or sell em a cheapy ill trade back in on the final decision. maybe you could borrow a spare from a buddy and give it a shot before ploppin down $70 on the wrong one.
    No, I'm NOT back!

what...?
    Long torso rider here. Riding a Large Spot with a Easton 120/10deg stem and 25mm riser bars, all with 25mm of spacers underneath the stem for trail riding. Also using a '07 Fox Vanilla 140.
    I'm thinking of actually going to a higher rise bar, makes my back happier.

Whatever works for YOU is the right setup.
    Without love in a dream it will never come true

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Hey Zip,

I'm also 5'8 and ride a medium spot.

Started with a 100 x 5deg stem,but after about 10mnths decided to try 90 x 5 deg ( after reading various reviews ).I can say it's transformed the feel of the front end for me.Steering much snappier in the twisty stuff,climbing feels more comfortable when pulling on the bars,don't seem to have any issues with the front end "coming up"

All I can say is it was a good move for me,the bike seems to feel more alive in all situations now.

Give it a go,don't think you will be disapointed,just give it a ride or two,to adjust to the new feel.

Cheers, BB.

Zip
    Joe Dirt Status
    Thanks everyone! I'm gonna go with a 90x5deg as suggested by "berksbiker". I threw on a 100x15deg for todays ride and I felt like I was riding a scooter.

Neg reppers r my biatches
    for what it is worth, I have a MUCH shorter than "normal" (for me) stem on my new turner. it has taken me 3 rides to pretty much get used to it for climbing. Sure its not optimal but I am used to it already on the climbs......and on the techy stuff I would not trade it and that is where i need the handicap anyway.
    Last edited by FoShizzle; 11-25-2006 at 02:08 PM.

Zip
    Joe Dirt Status
    Thanks everyone! I'm gonna go with a 90x5deg as suggested by "berksbiker". I threw on a 100x15deg for todays ride and I felt like I was riding a scooter.