Thread: Stem advice

Let's roll.

Stem advice

In an effort to reduce my rate of injury on drops and whatnot, I finally decided to try out a shorter stem. I went with an Easton Vice, 50 mm, 10 degree rise because, well, I could afford it and it didn't get hideous reviews. So why not?

Oh yeah, it's replacing (for the moment) a longer Thomson Elite stem. It has 25.4 etched into it, so I made the assumption that this is the bar clamp size, since the only other choices at the store were 31.8 and OnePointFive.

But then I install it and it looks like this:

Note the gap in between the stem and the stem's cap--is this normal? I made sure all the bolts are tightened correctly and in the right order, and frankly, any tighter and I'd worry they would collapse the bar or strip the bolts.

I'm assuming that if the bar was a 31.8, then the clamp wouldn't even come close to spanning over the bar. But then again, I'm an idiot.

Any advice? Seems sturdy enough.

Thanks.

-a
    Bend, Oregon. Proof you don't have to die to get to heaven.

trail fairy
    Yup thats what mine like too, if it was incorrect the bar dia would not fit the hollow, I have a 31.8mm EV and it does the same on the 31.8mm bar!

Note looking at the markings on the bar youve got the sweep rotated along way forward, not good, if youve done this because youve gone to a shorter stem then youre gonna have some issues, some peole who can ride like this have done so over time, I still think its technically incorrect but they some how make it work!

But its going to make you learn some bad habits esspecially considering what youre trying to learn, its a comon mistake, but thats pretty exagerated, maybe because youre just trying to check the fit, just saying the 0 with increments for starting point should sit between the gap thats the ideal starting position if you have to rotate it should be very slight, hardly worth droping to a smaller stem if you try to compensate for the short length by rotating forward to re adjust your postion, if you need more room, add a wider bar!

E Vice are a good stem not the lightest but nice and solid, though not in Thomsons quality

Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

TLL
    mtbr member
    It is fine. My Easton on my RFX looks like that.

I have one of those coming for the El Padrino, I will be running 50s on all my bikes from here on in. Even my XC 29er.

Let's roll.
    Awesome. Thanks for the feedback. I'd hate to have something fail on the trail because I'm an idiot (not the first time, and nor is it the last).

Yeah, the bike is in a stand at a funky angle, hence the crazy forward positioning on the handlebars.

I'll tweak 'em tonight and get them right for an am ride tomorrow.

Thanks again.

-a
    Bend, Oregon. Proof you don't have to die to get to heaven.

mtbr member
    Hey Andy,

Yeah, the stem looks about right, I had a 65mm Vice stem when I first got the RFX a couple of years ago and believe it or not it felt a little short, probably since I was coming off a 100mm, then went to a 90mm for a year, 70mm for year, and have been the happiest on the 50mm as of late, go figure. I like the feel of the shorter stem, but you got to have a good size top tube length to avoid that crammed cockpit length/feeling. For example, I don't think I could get away running a 50mm stem on a large Santa Cruz frame, due to very short top tube compared to a Turner large, like Tim's Nomad when I jumped on it on top of BR. For me, I think the biggest thing with stem/handlebar set-up is to find the right handlebar height from the ground on up, so you are not bent too far forward or kicked too far back making the climbs a bearcat, but that is where ETA comes in to save the day.

My younger bro is actually swinging by to grab me at 7am tomorrow to ride Post Canyon and beat the heat and to be back before noon to hang with the family. I'll look for you and point you in the right direction if I run into you. If we don't shuttle, we will probably just drive to top of Family Man and ride Middle School, Dropout, and hoof-it up to top of 8-track and Extended Play. We will be in a black Toyota Tacoma and parked up top.

JG
    Ride On!

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    by the sounds of it, it losen all those over tightened stem face plate bolts and start over again. nuthin as fun as a major stem bolt failure mid ride.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by SmallAirAndy
    I made sure all the bolts are tightened correctly and in the right order, and frankly, any tighter and I'd worry they would collapse the bar or strip the bolts.

Any advice? Seems sturdy enough.

Thanks.

-a
    Buy and use a torque wrench. Tightening bolts in the manner you did is just guessing. There is a correct torque, so set them to it, an then you don't have to worry.
    Riding slowly since 1977.