Thread: Stealthy 5 Spot

DGC
    mtbr member

Stealthy 5 Spot

Thought a few might like to see this build with the RS Revelation, and XTR brakes using Magura Marta SL 180mm rotor in front, 160mm Marta rotor in rear. Nice Stealthy like look for the guy I built it for.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    Nice build. Love that matte black on black of the Spot and Revelation. Low-key and stealthy.

not so super...
    Looks like a smaller version of RedRockers new giant sized Spot.

Nice!
    Nothing to see here.

Lay off the Levers
    Looks like a nice light build.

General rant: Why are all forks STILL requiring us to use zip-ties to get sensible cable routing? The routes are prety standard and the Zips make it look like hydros are an afterthought. Even 'Zoke's rear mounted hose holder routes the hydro poorly. If ~90% of people route up the inside left leg and across the brake arch, it would be nice if mfgrs cast some hose holders, zip anchors or at perhaps screw bosses for bolt-on holders.

Just thinking out loud.
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

~~~~~~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikezilla
    it would be nice if mfgrs cast some hose holders, zip anchors or at perhaps screw bosses for bolt-on holders.
    The Fox 36 hose guide is nice.

Friend of mine did his first ride last night on a reve just like that and is very impressed.

Bite Me.
    Black. Good. Very Nice.
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

Now with flavor!!
    Based on the fact that I can see dirt, that MUST be an old picture.

I haven't touched a bike the last three weekends and for the first time this winter, I'm completely okay with that.

Please tell me you've been snowboarding.
    STRAVA: Enabling dorks everywhere to get trails shut down........ all for the sake of a race on the internet.

mtbr member
    Road bikes have been around longer, and you'd be hard pressed to find any zip ties on them...granted, there aren't swingarms, fork lowers, and the like moving around...but they've just had time to mature.

Maybe that's the point, though. MTB'ers have that "Do it Yourself" spirit, at least moreso than roadies. We wrap chainstays in old tubes. We carry a small workshop on our backs. Eventually, the manufacturers will get it together, and you'll only need zip ties for all of the hose guides on the frame. Wait, isn't their a better way to do that as well?

not so super...
    Quote Originally Posted by DLine
    and you'll only need zip ties for all of the hose guides on the frame. Wait, isn't their a better way to do that as well?

Intense ships its frames with plastic clips that snap onto the hose guides. Not sure how durable they are long term.

Any input DT????
    Nothing to see here.

Baked Alaskan
    Cool ride, I still don't get the xmax wheels - noisy, slow engagement, funky spokes - over a set of Kings but to each his own. Pimp build though, a great XC weapon.

I'm always a little puzzled by the cable routing issue too, if a fork is disc only, at least give the damn cable an anchor. Even if they tacked a couple of the ones like the Turner frames use, that'd be an inprovement IMHO. But it would add a few extra grams to the fork and then everyone would ahve to fudge their fork weights a little more than they already do.
    The red couch has moved from Alaska to Florida...

Knomer
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikezilla
    Looks like a nice light build.

General rant: Why are all forks STILL requiring us to use zip-ties to get sensible cable routing? The routes are prety standard and the Zips make it look like hydros are an afterthought. Even 'Zoke's rear mounted hose holder routes the hydro poorly. If ~90% of people route up the inside left leg and across the brake arch, it would be nice if mfgrs cast some hose holders, zip anchors or at perhaps screw bosses for bolt-on holders.

Just thinking out loud.

06 Fox has you covered.
    Global Director of Sales: Knolly Bikes

DGC
    mtbr member

... and if we just ... ummmm

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    Based on the fact that I can see dirt, that MUST be an old picture.

I haven't touched a bike the last three weekends and for the first time this winter, I'm completely okay with that.

Please tell me you've been snowboarding.
    Yes and no.......yes boarding this last few days of around nipple deep powder...that picture of the bike was this morning, and yes I have the itch to get some dirt in soon. I have 46 days in this winter and my knees are tired, they are ready for some pedaling. Next week possibly in pinenuts or Auburn.

Now with flavor!!
    Quote Originally Posted by DGC
    Yes and no.......yes boarding this last few days of around nipple deep powder...that picture of the bike was this morning, and yes I have the itch to get some dirt in soon. I have 46 days in this winter and my knees are tired, they are ready for some pedaling. Next week possibly in pinenuts or Auburn.

I've actually been jonsing to get down to the pinenuts. Big bike stuff though. If it ever quits snowing, I'd like to go next weekend.

Would you be interested in the rougher, airy side of the nuts?

I've got two bikes that are plenty capable. I'd certainly loan you one.
    STRAVA: Enabling dorks everywhere to get trails shut down........ all for the sake of a race on the internet.

DGC
    mtbr member

depends

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    I've actually been jonsing to get down to the pinenuts. Big bike stuff though. If it ever quits snowing, I'd like to go next weekend.

Would you be interested in the rougher, airy side of the nuts?

I've got two bikes that are plenty capable. I'd certainly loan you one.
    Depends on the wifes' plans, I did want to get to Auburn and see green ground again. I do have a few things to test on my spot down there too-better terrain for what I need to finish testing.. The DH stuff in nuts is definately a bit too much for the Spot. Speaking of green pastures.....Sea Otter is coming up too.

\|/Home of the Braves\|/
    Quote Originally Posted by SSINGA
    Looks like a smaller version of RedRockers new giant sized Spot.

Nice!
    Yep. That's a fine looking rig
    Big hoopy.
    Turner Sultan / On One Inbred