The Stealth Burner

Printable View

• 01-09-2013
    1soulrider
    7 Attachment(s)
    The Stealth Burner
    Flying under the radar on a trail near you.....

Just finished the build and got a ride in on this beauty, initial impressions are very positive.
    This is no 29er for sure.
    Built the Burner up with a spec close to that of my Spot and will be riding the two bikes back to back over the next few months to see what bike works best for me.
    I'm very curious to see what I find out.
  • 01-09-2013
    jjkitt
    I love the stealth! That is quite possible the coolest frame I've seen, very jealous. I assume the frame is anodized, what about the lettering? What was the turn-around time, I guessing it was a special order? I might have to get that done to my frame next winter.
  • 01-09-2013
    1soulrider
    I love how the frame turned out as well. The bike is pc not ano, it was done in flat black with black decals. I would have liked black ano but as this is a preproduction frame it was either paint it or leave it raw.
    Very sexy!
  • 01-09-2013
    J-Ha
    That's one mean looking rig... and good call with those I-9's! The stiffness offered by those wheels are surely a significant upgrade.

I was lucky enough to get my Burner 4 days before my birthday, and have since had a number of rides on it. Such a great bike!

Congrats!
  • 01-09-2013
    jjkitt
    Cool, would like to know your thoughts of the quality of the pc on a long-term basis. Not that I am opposed to pc-ing, because your frame is making me drool. However, my black ano has been tough as nails. Enjoy your ride...man itís sweet!

Cheers,
  • 01-09-2013
    LncNuvue
    Nice setup. Looking forward to your review and comparison to the Spot.
  • 01-09-2013
    2TurnersNotEnough
    Is it me? Or are those some of those fancy carbonium rims on those I9s?

Outstanding build.
  • 01-09-2013
    MK_
    Great looking rig. Has has your luck been with the Chinese carbon rims?

_MK
  • 01-09-2013
    HubbaMan
    Quote:

Originally Posted by LncNuvue View Post

^^^^^ this.

I'm ready to move on from my '01 RFX and am on the fence between a Spot & a Burner. From everything I've read, the differences come down to "flickability", "nimbleness" and other terms that make it difficult to grasp. One will roll over tech terrain better than the other but does the Burner have any shortcomings to the Spot or is it all gravy? Keep us posted!

PS Build looks soooo sick, congrats :thumbsup:
  • 01-09-2013
    Acadian
    Hey J - you have that fork set to 160mm? With that fork what's the BB height?

Nice bike - can't wait to hear your thoughts.
  • 01-09-2013
    airwreck
    Looking good. We might have to paint our raw too.
    Is that a medium or large?
    Bars feel high on mine with 150 fork and external lower cup, I'm used to low/aggresive positioning.
    I wish there was minions too, I really like consistency with my tires on my bikes.
  • 01-09-2013
    6thElement
    Love the look of that flat black, almost makes me jealous against my raw...almost ;)
  • 01-09-2013
    1soulrider
    J-Ha, Yep, love the stiffness of I9 wheelsets and with the 27.5 wheel size I wanted to keep flex out of the picture.
    How is your Burner treating you?

jjkitt, I would go with ano given the choice. The ano on my Spot has been very durable, easy to clean and always looks sharp. I love how the pc came out on this bike but it will not stay fresh looking for as long and does not shed dirt like the ano.
    Another plus for ano is that you can always paint it in a couple years if the finish starts showing more wear than you like.

2Turners, Good eye! Yes those are the much discussed "cheap Chinese carbon rims", we will see how they hold up. They are not Enves for sure but much easier on the wallet. Also I like that I can build these to I9's aluminum spokes which is not possible with Enves.

MK, We will see. My wife has a set on her Spot and they have treated her well. I know some have had great luck with them, and others not so much. I will keep everyone updated on how well they survive. Hope I don't need a spare wheelset anytime soon...
  • 01-09-2013
    1soulrider
    Quote:

Originally Posted by HubbaMan View Post
    ^^^^^ this.

I'm ready to move on from my '01 RFX and am on the fence between a Spot & a Burner. From everything I've read, the differences come down to "flickability", "nimbleness" and other terms that make it difficult to grasp. One will roll over tech terrain better than the other but does the Burner have any shortcomings to the Spot or is it all gravy? Keep us posted!

Glad to hear interest in this. I will do my best to help explain my finding, good and bad, to the community at large. It seems that there is a lot of riders like myself who are willing to give the 27.5 a chance, but have some reservations for one reason or another.
    By doing this comparison I hope to help provide some solid information and insight into the differences between the two wheel sizes.
    My hope is that the results of the test will help riders find the bike that will be the most fun for them.
  • 01-09-2013
    1soulrider
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Acadian View Post
    Hey J - you have that fork set to 160mm? With that fork what's the BB height?

Nice bike - can't wait to hear your thoughts.

Wow, good to hear from you Luke!
    The fork is at 150mm right now, I will pull the spacer when I get some time. I was just eager to ride the bike and figured it would be good to know what it felt like with the fork at 150.
    BB is at 13.25 as it sits.
    Keep an eye on the forum I will be updating regularly.

Airwrek, The frame is a large. One thing I like right off about the Burner is that my hands are lower than my Large Spot. Even when I bump the fork up the bar will be a little lower than on the Spot.
    Hear ya about the tires; the Schwalbes are very vanilla imo. Minions would be sweet. One thing I have noticed though, you get better cornering adhesion from a 27.5" tire than the same tire in 26".

6th, Raw is nice, but I'm loving this flat black
  • 01-09-2013
    wheatgerm
    Great lookin' bike. Look forward to your feedback on the ride.

Was this one of the pre-production frames with the low BB? I thought I read that those frames' BB was ~12.75" with Nevegals or something.
  • 01-09-2013
    Acadian
    Quote:

Originally Posted by 1soulrider View Post
    Wow, good to hear from you Luke!
    The fork is at 150mm right now, I will pull the spacer when I get some time. I was just eager to ride the bike and figured it would be good to know what it felt like with the fork at 150.
    BB is at 13.25 as it sits.
    Keep an eye on the forum I will be updating regularly.

I still lurk every now and again ;)

I was asking because the bike looked fairly slack, which is good. I'd have to guess that with the fork at 150mm the bike is more balanced.

Thanks for the info and enjoy the ride!
  • 01-09-2013
    Jaybo
    Man, you had better hope you like the Burner better after dumping all that cash into that gorgeous bike...
  • 01-09-2013
    1soulrider
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Acadian View Post
    I still lurk every now and again ;)

I was asking because the bike looked fairly slack, which is good. I'd have to guess that with the fork at 150mm the bike is more balanced.

Thanks for the info and enjoy the ride!

The headangle sits at 66.5 as it is now, pretty much right where I like it. I have a 160mm Lyric on my Spot that I had planned on reducing down to 150. I ended up liking it so much at 160 that I left it there.
    Based on this experience I am looking forward to trying the 34 at 160.
  • 01-09-2013
    1soulrider
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wheatgerm View Post

Was this one of the pre-production frames with the low BB? I thought I read that those frames' BB was ~12.75" with Nevegals or something.

I am pretty sure it is preproduction, but may need to check with Turner to be sure. I had expected a sub 13" bb and was a little disappointed that I didn't end up there.
  • 01-09-2013
    stumblemumble
    Quote:

^^^^^ this.

BB heights are very different between the Spot and Burner. Check your terrain.
  • 01-10-2013
    CragRat
    Definatley want to hear the spot v burner comparison good and bad, i have a flux and was thinking of getting a spot , then the Burner came along..

I ride more long days out xc but not xc race if you know what i mean supose its trail riding, lots of climbing some ruff some draggy..

what sort of riding is your main type ..

Cheers looking forward to it...very tempted by the 27.5 thing dont know why...

Big issues with me on the burner are such a slack head angle compared to the flux...not sure the hieght of the BB on my 05 flux

Ta CR
  • 01-10-2013
    Acadian
    Quote:

I am pretty sure it is preproduction, but may need to check with Turner to be sure. I had expected a sub 13" bb and was a little disappointed that I didn't end up there.

word....as the wheels get bigger, that BB needs to keep dropping.
  • 01-10-2013
    Vespasianus
    Quote:

I hope to god the Burner is no different than the Spot. I have a 2011 and a wife that I like. Another bike might mean another wife... :D
  • 01-10-2013
    bobo_krkk_NIN
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaybo View Post
    Man, you had better hope you like the Burner better after dumping all that cash into that gorgeous bike...

Depends how much bling is on the spot...
  • 01-10-2013
    freebiker
    road tripper
    Beautiful build. I just want to say that i see the burner as the ultimate road trip weapon. You don't have the spot vs sultan dilemma! Not exactly a problem but certainly still an issue that comes up b4 any road trip.
  • 01-10-2013
    rmac
    Subscribing...

Looks really good.
  • 01-10-2013
    steadite
    Quote:

They are not Enves for sure but much easier on the wallet. Also I like that I can build these to I9's aluminum spokes which is not possible with Enves

It'll be interesting to see if you get corrosion of the Al spokes where they contact the drilled holes in the CF rim. Carbon and aluminum are almost the extreme ends of the galvanic series, so if they're in contact, and get wet, it'll drive corrosion. Also, I think I9 use 7075 for the spokes which is the most corrosion prone alloy (but strongest).

Mint bike BTW.
  • 01-10-2013
    deanopatoni
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rmac View Post
    Subscribing...

Looks really good.

Me too!
  • 01-10-2013
    Jratt
    Hi all.

So should we start doing a stealth look? Black ano with black decals? This frame looked amazing when we sent it and looks even better built.

Jarett
  • 01-10-2013
    swan lee
    Quote:

hi all.

So should we start doing a stealth look? Black ano with black decals? This frame looked amazing when we sent it and looks even better built.

Jarett
    YES! :thumbsup:
  • 01-10-2013
    deanopatoni
    LJ @ turnerbikes has got himself a stealth Burner too. Looks sweeet!

Lj's Murdered Burner | Turner Blog

• 01-10-2013
    AlienRFX
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Jratt View Post
    Hi all.

Jarett

Here is a better Idea, Polish the raw frames where the decals would sit, then apply decals prior to beadblasting, beadblast and then remove the decals and anodize.

Now you have the stealth look without having decals on the finished product, as the logo is polished anodized aluminum surrounded by matte black anodizing.
  • 01-10-2013
    moldau94
    Absolutely! :thumbup::thumbup:

The white decal on black ano is a little too much contrast. Darker logo (black or dark gray) looks awesome
  • 01-11-2013
    1soulrider
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AlienRFX View Post
    Here is a better Idea, Polish the raw frames where the decals would sit, then apply decals prior to beadblasting, beadblast and then remove the decals and anodize.

Now you have the stealth look without having decals on the finished product, as the logo is polished anodized aluminum surrounded by matte black anodizing.

This looks amazing when done right, I'd love to see Turner offer this in the future.
  • 01-11-2013
    1soulrider
    Quote:

Originally Posted by steadite View Post
    It'll be interesting to see if you get corrosion of the Al spokes where they contact the drilled holes in the CF rim. Carbon and aluminum are almost the extreme ends of the galvanic series, so if they're in contact, and get wet, it'll drive corrosion. Also, I think I9 use 7075 for the spokes which is the most corrosion prone alloy (but strongest).

Mint bike BTW.

Very interesting. I'll keep a close eye on the spoke rim interface and look for signs of corrosion. And yes, they will be wet & muddy for months to come...
    I would think the ano finish on the spokes would offer some protection?
  • 01-11-2013
    steadite
    Yeah, the anodize layer should "help" because it's not electrically conductive, but remember Type II anodizing is just a few microns thick. Also, the anodize likely gets scraped as the spoke is torqued against the rim.

I'm definitely not trying to rain on your parade, it's an unbelievably sweet bike!!!...just something to watch for.
  • 01-11-2013
    HubbaMan
    Quote:

Originally Posted by stumblemumble View Post
    BB heights are very different between the Spot and Burner. Check your terrain.

I've definitely noted the difference. I ride in a wide variety of terrain from rolling XC single track to North East rocks/roots with trips to various Western destinations. Clearly DT felt the need to raise the BB for the production version but I would like to think the differences between the two bikes are not solely linked to the type of terrain due to pedal strikes.

To be honest the main areas I'm interested in are:

Slow tech trails, when you have to finesse the bike through (over?) tricky spots - any difference between the two? does to bigger wheel cause that much of an issue in tight areas? What about the bb?

Air play - how does the bike handle air time, either drops or jumps as compared to the Spot - is it as easy to tweak in the air or does it start to feel sluggish?

I have no doubt that three wheels sizes can thrive in the industry, but I like to buy my bikes for the long haul, as you can see I'm 11 years on the RFX. I'm definitely slowing down in my older years but still have (I hope) plenty of years left. The Spot is so refined it's an easy way for me to go BUT, if I can get all the features of the Spot AND less rolling resistance then it's a no brainer to pick up a Burner.

Turner's website has very little to say with regards to the differences between the two bikes (other than wheel size) so real world comparisons, from folks who actually own both bikes, is a golden opportunity to start defining the Burner's strengths/weaknesses rather then just saying it's a 650b version of the Spot.
  • 01-11-2013
    1soulrider
    Quote:

Originally Posted by steadite View Post
    Yeah, the anodize layer should "help" because it's not electrically conductive, but remember Type II anodizing is just a few microns thick. Also, the anodize likely gets scraped as the spoke is torqued against the rim.

I'm definitely not trying to rain on your parade, it's an unbelievably sweet bike!!!...just something to watch for.

No worries, I appreciate the insight as this is something I had not considered.
  • 01-11-2013
    1soulrider
    Quote:

I've definitely noted the difference. I ride in a wide variety of terrain from rolling XC single track to North East rocks/roots with trips to various Western destinations. Clearly DT felt the need to raise the BB for the production version but I would like to think the differences between the two bikes are not solely linked to the type of terrain due to pedal strikes.

To be honest the main areas I'm interested in are:

Slow tech trails, when you have to finesse the bike through (over?) tricky spots - any difference between the two? does to bigger wheel cause that much of an issue in tight areas? What about the bb?

Air play - how does the bike handle air time, either drops or jumps as compared to the Spot - is it as easy to tweak in the air or does it start to feel sluggish?

I have no doubt that three wheels sizes can thrive in the industry, but I like to buy my bikes for the long haul, as you can see I'm 11 years on the RFX. I'm definitely slowing down in my older years but still have (I hope) plenty of years left. The Spot is so refined it's an easy way for me to go BUT, if I can get all the features of the Spot AND less rolling resistance then it's a no brainer to pick up a Burner.

Turner's website has very little to say with regards to the differences between the two bikes (other than wheel size) so real world comparisons, from folks who actually own both bikes, is a golden opportunity to start defining the Burner's strengths/weaknesses rather then just saying it's a 650b version of the Spot.

This is exactly the sort of info I will be providing: real world differences between the two bikes with an honest assessment of the pros and cons of each.
    I need to get a bit more of a feel for the Burner's personality before I start writing up my findings.

Right now I am quite infatuated with it.
  • 01-12-2013
    1soulrider
    3 Attachment(s)
    As I get more ride time on the Burner I like it more and more. This thing is a great trail bike, Iím having a hard time finding weakness with the Burner. I'll keep looking though ;)
  • 01-13-2013
    zarniwoop42
    Wow! That looks very nice.
  • 01-18-2013
    1soulrider
    6 Attachment(s)
    The Burner is continuing to impress. The geo is dialed on this bike, and despite the lower bb than my Spot I have yet to have any trouble with pedal strike.
    I love the feeling of the weight being low between the wheels, makes it shine in the corners.

Been out on the Spot a few times now as well, getting close to starting the Burner vs Spot thread.

Some photos from yesterdayís ride:
  • 01-18-2013
    6thElement
    Sweet looking trails, hoping to finally get out on mine tomorrow. It's going to be cooooold.
  • 01-18-2013
    1soulrider
    It will be worth the trouble! Looking forward to hearing your impressions of the Burner.
  • 01-18-2013
    RiverSurfer
    Quote:

Very interesting. I'll keep a close eye on the spoke rim interface and look for signs of corrosion. And yes, they will be wet & muddy for months to come...
    I would think the ano finish on the spokes would offer some protection?

Burner turner ano
  • 01-18-2013
    RiverSurfer
    Quote:

It will be worth the trouble! Looking forward to hearing your impressions of the Burner.

Soulrider,

Are you running a Fox Talas or the Float? Is the fork set at 150mm or 160mm? I just picked up a Burner frame.

Thanks
  • 01-18-2013
    1soulrider
    I'm on the Float set (right now) at 150. I have heard less than stellar reports about the 34 talas, and don't find the travel adjust necessary.

So you had issues with corrosion on a enve wheelset? Could you elaborate on what happened?

Oh congrats on the new frame btw, I'm sure you will enjoy it,.
  • 01-20-2013
    edbraunbeck
    Quote:

Originally Posted by swan lee View Post
    YES! :thumbsup:

Yes. Love the stealth look.
  • 01-23-2013
    bubba13
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Jratt View Post
    Hi all.

Jarett

YES! Please add black hardware and head badge to make it "forest park" ;) ready.
  • 01-23-2013
    CyclepathNW
    The ano stealth look is so badass! WANT!! :thumbsup:
  • 01-27-2013
    JTBAZ
    I am not sure if this has been asked before; but what is the wheel base of your Burner?
  • 01-28-2013
    1soulrider
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JTBAZ View Post
    I am not sure if this has been asked before; but what is the wheel base of your Burner?

46.25" for my large Burner
  • 01-28-2013
    nhodge
    Quote:

46.25" for my large Burner

ohh, you're in some serious shite now , Mister! Dave doesn't hold back that useless info for nothing!:nono:
  • 01-28-2013
    TwoHeadsBrewing
    Nice Burner! Is that Bullards Bar?
  • 01-29-2013
    1soulrider
    2 Attachment(s)
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TwoHeadsBrewing View Post
    Nice Burner! Is that Bullards Bar?

Yep, some of the photos are from Bullards Bar trail. I like to ride out there in the winter, the trails handle rain well and you almost never see anyone.

New shock for the Burner waiting at my doorstep yeasterday. I can't wait to get it on the bike and out on the trails!
  • 01-29-2013
    AlienRFX
    Quote:

Yep, some of the photos are from Bullards Bar trail. I like to ride out there in the winter, the trails handle rain well and you almost never see anyone.

New shock for the Burner waiting at my doorstep yeasterday. I can't wait to get it on the bike and out on the trails!

I want to see pics when you get that mounted, I'm really tempted to get one for my spot.
  • 02-01-2013
    1soulrider
    2 Attachment(s)
    Quote:

I want to see pics when you get that mounted, I'm really tempted to get one for my spot.

Attachment 767338Attachment 767339

Here you go
  • 02-01-2013
    KenDobson
    oh man please say it rides like crap, please. wait no tell me the truth! Its just money :-( I can rob a bank.
  • 02-02-2013
    AlienRFX
    Awesome! what frame size, and did you have to grind any of the gusset weld for it to fit?
  • 02-03-2013
    1soulrider
    Quote:

Awesome! what frame size, and did you have to grind any of the gusset weld for it to fit?

No frame mod needed, fits my large just fine. What size frame do you have?
  • 02-03-2013
    1soulrider
    2 Attachment(s)
    So as I get more time on the Burner I am becoming a believer. The ability of this bike to absolutely destroy the trail is impressive. The handling is plenty playful, the bigger wheels and longer wheelbase do not seem to detract from the nimble feeling ride. I have yet to experience the awkward feeling handling that has characterized every 29er I have spent time on.
    The climbing and cornering traction are noticeably improved over my Spot. The increase in roll over in the rough and chunky is a bit more subtle but noticeable. As I have gotten used to the Burner and learned to trust it I find Iím carrying more speed with more confidence through the toughest sections of trail.
    This leads to wanting to go faster and harder and have more fun. Yesterday as I was romping down a particularly fun bit of trail littered with small drops, jumps and rock gardens I heard a bad noise. As I landed off a hip jump there was a loud crack from the rear of the bike.

Looks like Iím off the Burner for a while. The one thing I donít like about the 27.5 wheels is that I donít have any spares. Or enough tires to choose from.
  • 02-03-2013
    6thElement
    Ouch, at least you didn't go down. Something I've noticed on mine is because I can be so agressive current trail conditions mean the Ardent isn't giving me enough grip out back. But I think I'd find another HD too slow when I'm riding to and from the trails on the road.
  • 02-03-2013
    edbraunbeck
    Learning a lot following this thread as I'm contemplating buying a Burner.

Thanks,
  • 02-03-2013
    rr
    Quote:

Originally Posted by nhodge View Post
    ......Dave doesn't hold back that useless info for nothing!:nono:

Oxymoron? :)

Didn't believe it so I checked the website. Looks like he's using longer TT's on the Burner compared to the Sultan per size, what's the thinking there??

That's a pretty long wheelbase for a L size "tweener" bike, my XL Covert 29 has the same-46.25". The compact geo has opened my eyes compared to my old V1 Sultan, I used to think the looong TT's were nice but not any longer.
  • 02-03-2013
    whoda*huck
    Hmm, I'm very interested in the concept but being a bit of a hack I'm now wondering if there's a fragility issue with the 650 vs. the 26" wheel. Was the hip landing unusually side loaded?
  • 02-03-2013
    wilks
    Prolly more indicative of the Chinese carbon rims than wheel size.
  • 02-03-2013
    AlienRFX
    Quote:

No frame mod needed, fits my large just fine. What size frame do you have?

Large 2012 5spot
  • 02-03-2013
    whoda*huck
    Oh yeah...forgot about that bit until I rechecked the setup post.
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wilks View Post
    Prolly more indicative of the Chinese carbon rims than wheel size.

• 02-03-2013
    1soulrider
    Yep, this is a problem with the hoop not the wheel size. You get what you pay for...

AlienRFX - you should have no issue fitting the DBA to your Spot.
  • 02-03-2013
    LncNuvue
    1SR, how are you liking the fit of the large Burner compared to your Spot? Are you running the same stem length? I had a chance to ride a large Burner around on the street. It was noticeably longer and the front wheel looked like it was way out in front -- this means not much without getting trail time though.
  • 02-03-2013
    TraxFactory
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rroeder View Post
    Oxymoron? :)

Didn't believe it so I checked the website. Looks like he's using longer TT's on the Burner compared to the Sultan per size, what's the thinking there??

That's a pretty long wheelbase for a L size "tweener" bike, my XL Covert 29 has the same-46.25". The compact geo has opened my eyes compared to my old V1 Sultan, I used to think the looong TT's were nice but not any longer.

I think its because the trend of wider bars / shorter stems = longer TT.

@1soulrider - hows that Cane Creek can working out?
  • 02-04-2013
    1soulrider
    Quote:

1SR, how are you liking the fit of the large Burner compared to your Spot? Are you running the same stem length? I had a chance to ride a large Burner around on the street. It was noticeably longer and the front wheel looked like it was way out in front -- this means not much without getting trail time though.

I have an angelset on my Spot that slacks out the ha to almost the same 66.5 that the Burner sits at. Slack bikes make me happy. The Burner has a 5mm shorter stem and 750mm bars vs the 730mm bars on the Spot.
    Switching between the two bikes is comfortable, the fit is similar enough that there is no feeling adjustment time.
    The Burner's geo & build rewards weight forward aggressive riding, and this is just how I prefer to ride.
  • 02-04-2013
    1soulrider
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RipRoar View Post
    I think its because the trend of wider bars / shorter stems = longer TT.

@1soulrider - hows that Cane Creek can working out?

Exactly right on the wider bars shorter stem deal.

The BDA is pleasing me so for, I love the amount of control built into this shock. As one who likes to fine tune his suspension I don't think it gets any better than the Cane Creek Double Barrel. At this point I only have two rides in on the shock and am early in the tuning stage. With all the available tune options this shock is capable of it will take some time to get it just right.
    I will share my setting as I get them and update everyone on how the shock performs on the Burner.
  • 02-04-2013
    rmac
    1 Attachment(s)
    Quote:

So as I get more time on the Burner I am becoming a believer. The ability of this bike to absolutely destroy the trail is impressive. The handling is plenty playful, the bigger wheels and longer wheelbase do not seem to detract from the nimble feeling ride. I have yet to experience the awkward feeling handling that has characterized every 29er I have spent time on.
    The climbing and cornering traction are noticeably improved over my Spot. The increase in roll over in the rough and chunky is a bit more subtle but noticeable. As I have gotten used to the Burner and learned to trust it I find Iím carrying more speed with more confidence through the toughest sections of trail.
    This leads to wanting to go faster and harder and have more fun. Yesterday as I was romping down a particularly fun bit of trail littered with small drops, jumps and rock gardens I heard a bad noise. As I landed off a hip jump there was a loud crack from the rear of the bike.

Looks like Iím off the Burner for a while. The one thing I donít like about the 27.5 wheels is that I donít have any spares. Or enough tires to choose from.

Ugh - sorry to see the wheel carnage there. I don't remember if you had the trail or XC wheels but it does seem to add to the risk of this option (disappointing as I was close to going down this route).

Edit: does it look anything like this on the inside (Heavily ridden on my Spot)?
  • 02-04-2013
    LncNuvue
    The Stealth Burner
    Quote:

I have an angelset on my Spot that slacks out the ha to almost the same 66.5 that the Burner sits at. Slack bikes make me happy. The Burner has a 5mm shorter stem and 750mm bars vs the 730mm bars on the Spot.
    Switching between the two bikes is comfortable, the fit is similar enough that there is no feeling adjustment time.
    The Burner's geo & build rewards weight forward aggressive riding, and this is just how I prefer to ride.

Thanks for the feedback. My spot is 66.5 as well and rewards an aggressive position just as you describe. From what you're saying it sounds like the burner lends itself to that style even more so - very good to hear. The proto burner I hopped on didn't seem quite as slack as my spot and the shock felt a little firmer or poppier launching around, bunny hopping and manualing which could actually be a good thing IMO. What's your opinion on the suspension so far? I'm looking forward to getting some trail time on a production model.

Keep the feedback and burner stoke flowing 1sr.
  • 02-04-2013
    KRob
    Thanks for the updates 1sr. Any hunches yet on which is faster (5 spot or Burner).... say like for Super D or Enduro?

Oh, and how do they compare in weight?
  • 02-04-2013
    AlienRFX
    The current spot does come with a volume reducer installed that makes the spring rate more progressive, whether the burner does or not, I'm not sure, but there are options for tuning the factory shock yourself.
  • 02-04-2013
    LncNuvue
    Quote:

The current spot does come with a volume reducer installed that makes the spring rate more progressive, whether the burner does or not, I'm not sure, but there are options for tuning the factory shock yourself.

Thanks. I've tweaked on my RP23's from PUSH tunes to shims, etc. I always tend to come back and prefer the more linear feel of the large can with low compression and a mediumish rebound for aggressive trail riding. I lose some of the playfulness but the rear end tracks so darn well at speed. I'm thinking/hoping the Burner might provide that great tracking while adding some more playfulness and pop. Either way, I'm stoked on the Spot as it is.
  • 02-05-2013
    1soulrider
    Quote:

Thanks for the feedback. My spot is 66.5 as well and rewards an aggressive position just as you describe. From what you're saying it sounds like the burner lends itself to that style even more so - very good to hear. The proto burner I hopped on didn't seem quite as slack as my spot and the shock felt a little firmer or poppier launching around, bunny hopping and manualing which could actually be a good thing IMO. What's your opinion on the suspension so far? I'm looking forward to getting some trail time on a production model.

Keep the feedback and burner stoke flowing 1sr.

The demo I rode didn't feel nearly as sorted as my Burner does. I know they had an issue with improper shock tune on the demos. By contrast the stock Fox cdt that came on my Burner felt better than any Fox air shock I have ridden to date. The suspension characteristics on the Burner are superb; this is the most dialed feeling DW link bike I have yet ridden.
    The Spot has always been stellar, but this feels like the next generation.
  • 02-05-2013
    1soulrider
    Quote:

Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    Thanks for the updates 1sr. Any hunches yet on which is faster (5 spot or Burner).... say like for Super D or Enduro?

Oh, and how do they compare in weight?

The two frames weigh almost exactly the same amount, bigger wheels/tires could push the Burner past the Spot in terms of build weight.
    It is a little early to make strong statements about which bike is faster, but I am very impressed with the Burner at this point.
  • 02-05-2013
    RiverSurfer
    Quote:

I'm on the Float set (right now) at 150. I have heard less than stellar reports about the 34 talas, and don't find the travel adjust necessary.

So you had issues with corrosion on a enve wheelset? Could you elaborate on what happened?

Oh congrats on the new frame btw, I'm sure you will enjoy it,.

Thanks

Just getting the Burner built up now. I went with the float and am considering the CCDB air or just using the CCDB Coil that I have. Sounds like you are enjoying your CCDB Air with the burner.

Nice Burner!! The Northrop Grumman edition is sick.
  • 02-14-2013
    edbraunbeck
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wheatgerm View Post

I'm might have a Burner for our NC ride.
  • 02-14-2013
    wheatgerm
    Quote:

Originally Posted by edbraunbeck View Post
    I'm might have a Burner for our NC ride.

Sweet! Hope you get it by then!
  • 02-28-2013
    Chasintrane
    Quote:

The two frames weigh almost exactly the same amount, bigger wheels/tires could push the Burner past the Spot in terms of build weight.
    It is a little early to make strong statements about which bike is faster, but I am very impressed with the Burner at this point.

1SR, since your rim busted, have you been back on your Spot? I was just curious about what it was like to go back to the Spot for a while. Are there some things you actually like better about the Spot? Does the Burner do it better for you in every category? Thanks for your input. I've got a Burner coming from the next batch, but I'm still on the fence about going Burner or Spot.
  • 03-01-2013
    1soulrider
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Chasintrane View Post
    1SR, since your rim busted, have you been back on your Spot? I was just curious about what it was like to go back to the Spot for a while. Are there some things you actually like better about the Spot? Does the Burner do it better for you in every category? Thanks for your input. I've got a Burner coming from the next batch, but I'm still on the fence about going Burner or Spot.

My Spot has been seeing regular use with the Burner down for the moment. The Spot is a great bike and I have been enjoying it immensely, but I do miss my Burner. I think you made a great choice in ordering a Burner and don't think you will regret going in that direction. two-seven-five is more fun than I expected it to be.
  • 03-04-2013
    1soulrider
    Here is a quick video I tossed together of Burner riding. I had expected to have a lot more footage to edit from but then the wheel failure happened. Still it isn't too bad, it may be almost watchable even.

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/61052510" width="500" height="281" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe> <p><a href="http://vimeo.com/61052510">Burner Ridin</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/user12197206">1soulrider</a> on <a href="http://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>
  • 03-04-2013
    turnerbikes
    MTBR would be bleeping all my adjectives away if I wrote what I felt about riding the 'inland empire' of SoCal after seeing the lovely trails up there. The Sierra foothills RULE, I can hardly wait for Downieville again. Nice socks too!

DT
  • 03-04-2013
    6thElement
    I know I'd prefer the Niner Jet9RDO I had for the climb to the top at D'Ville on my visit last year, but I'd definitely enjoy giving my Burner a run to the bottom.
  • 03-05-2013
    turnerbikes
    I raced the Burner last year and loved it, I cannot think about any way to go faster (legally) up or down the mountain on the same bike. My Burner was under 27lbs with dropper post. My challenge in 2012 was a slew of flats like I can never remember having, except the time I was in Big Bend of Texas getting attacked by mesquite thorns. In Dville somedays I had a couple, and on both race days I flatted. Now, one would wonder why I just did not pump the tires to stupid levels and deal with a little sketch, and to this day I cannot give a good answer! 5-7psi higher would have probably done the trick and I would not have lost the time of flats but for some reason I was bumping pressure in pre-rides in 1-2 psi increments and the razor sharp rock of that mountain kicked holes in my tires every day. This year there are vastly more choices in 275!!!! Not sure I will ride the Burner again though, may try something new to keep learning and testing, I know, it's a tough job but someone has to do it.
    DT
  • 03-05-2013
    airwreck
    That's some good looking dirt.

Thanks for all the good info in this thread, especially for the rear shock, I want to work on getting my Burner dialed for jumping and shredding and since this is my first dw I need to be pointed in the right direction.
  • 03-05-2013
    Mrwhlr
    Too much anti-squat is what broke your wheels.
  • 03-05-2013
    ctopher63
    1 Attachment(s)
    Quote:

Originally Posted by turnerbikes View Post
    My challenge in 2012 was a slew of flats like I can never remember having, except the time I was in Big Bend of Texas getting attacked by mesquite thorns.

Attachment 778029
  • 03-05-2013
    fitnessgeek
    is that something new made of carbon?

Quote:

I raced the Burner last year and loved it, I cannot think about any way to go faster (legally) up or down the mountain on the same bike. My Burner was under 27lbs with dropper post. My challenge in 2012 was a slew of flats like I can never remember having, except the time I was in Big Bend of Texas getting attacked by mesquite thorns. In Dville somedays I had a couple, and on both race days I flatted. Now, one would wonder why I just did not pump the tires to stupid levels and deal with a little sketch, and to this day I cannot give a good answer! 5-7psi higher would have probably done the trick and I would not have lost the time of flats but for some reason I was bumping pressure in pre-rides in 1-2 psi increments and the razor sharp rock of that mountain kicked holes in my tires every day. This year there are vastly more choices in 275!!!! Not sure I will ride the Burner again though, may try something new to keep learning and testing, I know, it's a tough job but someone has to do it.
    DT

• 03-06-2013
    turnerbikes
    there is no plan for a carbon Burner. Look at the weight of my bike, carbon would not help me, only training will! At my age and training plan I am a contender for nothing so I might as well play with different toys at the race.

DT
  • 03-06-2013
    stumblemumble
    WTF is carbon?
  • 03-06-2013
    MK_
    Were your rims within the ERD spec or was ERD smaller than expected? I'm wondering if the thickness was out of spec. I'm still debating getting a set of these and I'm trying to compile a list of things to watch out for.
    One thing you should also be aware of is the rapid corrosion of aluminum when in contact with carbon fiber; you can find a lot of info and discussion about the topic (it's come up initially with Enve rims). The I9 spokes won't last more than a season or two inside of a carbon rim (it certainly doesn't look like this has been a factor in this failure).

_MK
  • 03-06-2013
    fitnessgeek
    I didn't think a carbon Burner especially since you said you won't ride the Burner again. However, I was thinking a carbon 29er race bike or something of that sort. I thought that was the rumor so thought I would dig a bit :)

Quote:

there is no plan for a carbon Burner. Look at the weight of my bike, carbon would not help me, only training will! At my age and training plan I am a contender for nothing so I might as well play with different toys at the race.

DT

• 03-06-2013
    Mrwhlr
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fitnessgeek View Post
    I didn't think a carbon Burner

That would be a mojo hd.
  • 03-07-2013
    1soulrider
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MK_ View Post
    Were your rims within the ERD spec or was ERD smaller than expected? I'm wondering if the thickness was out of spec. I'm still debating getting a set of these and I'm trying to compile a list of things to watch out for.
    One thing you should also be aware of is the rapid corrosion of aluminum when in contact with carbon fiber; you can find a lot of info and discussion about the topic (it's come up initially with Enve rims). The I9 spokes won't last more than a season or two inside of a carbon rim (it certainly doesn't look like this has been a factor in this failure).

_MK

The ERD was in spec, they have modified the layup on these hoops now to include extra material in the spoke bed. I am not the only one who has had this problem.
    The corrosion issue was brought to my attention earlier in this thread, when I built the wheels I was not aware of it though. Thatís ok, I don't expect the hoops to hold up that long.
    Hope I'm joking...