Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by turnerbikes View Post
    there is no plan for a carbon Burner
    I hope that was a very careful choice of words.
    A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by miles e View Post
    I hope that was a very careful choice of words.
    He said no plans ;-)
    Well, plans always changes :-D
    When trails gets tougher, Just stand up and deliver.

mtbr member
    This year there are vastly more choices in 275!!!! Not sure I will ride the Burner again though, may try something new to keep learning and testing, I know, it's a tough job but someone has to do it.
    DT
    Would it to be a 275Flux?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I meant to say tire choices, but that is a great idea, will get right on that...

mtbr member
    but that is a great idea, will get right on that...
    Sounds promising to me
    Finally, something to replace my Ellstruth
    Would be a perfect tool for a 200km endurance race this July,
    But I know that's impossible

Committed
    New rear hoop at my door yesterday after work. May be back on the Burner real soon, the Spot has been treating me well but I look forward to riding the Burner again.
    Looking forward to dialing in the CCDBA, barely got any time in on it before wheel issues.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Stealth Burner-new-hoop.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I hope you got a spare when re-ordering..... For as cheap as they are buy 2!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I raced the Burner last year and loved it, I cannot think about any way to go faster (legally) up or down the mountain on the same bike. My Burner was under 27lbs with dropper post. My challenge in 2012 was a slew of flats like I can never remember having, except the time I was in Big Bend of Texas getting attacked by mesquite thorns. In Dville somedays I had a couple, and on both race days I flatted. Now, one would wonder why I just did not pump the tires to stupid levels and deal with a little sketch, and to this day I cannot give a good answer! 5-7psi higher would have probably done the trick and I would not have lost the time of flats but for some reason I was bumping pressure in pre-rides in 1-2 psi increments and the razor sharp rock of that mountain kicked holes in my tires every day. This year there are vastly more choices in 275!!!! Not sure I will ride the Burner again though, may try something new to keep learning and testing, I know, it's a tough job but someone has to do it.
    DT
    Someone will be taking pictures, right?

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Hey DT

Your burner is sick. I had my first ride today on the Amasa Back trails in Moab and this bike is the One for me. It ate the trails up. I have been riding a DW Sultan and DW Spot and you hit the nail on the head for me with this model. I had more fun on this bike than I've had in a long time. It feels like a quiver killer to me so far but to each his own. I will report back after more testing on xc style trails we are going to hit tomorrowThe Stealth Burner-img_1454.jpg. Thanks and happy trails. Nick
    Last edited by RiverSurfer; 03-16-2013 at 09:28 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    The Stealth Burner-img_1459.jpg
    Another pic

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Re: The Stealth Burner

How do you like the racing ralphs on your Burner? I had been leaning more towards the Nobby Nics.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I have a Nobby Nick 2.35 on the back and a Hans Dampf 2.35 on the front. I love the Hans Dampf....
    Last edited by RiverSurfer; 03-17-2013 at 10:32 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Re: The Stealth Burner

Oops, completely read that one wrong. That makes a lot more sense.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I had a pair of 2.35 HansDampf on in Moab and have never had a tire work so well or show so little wear. Amazing tire in everything out west for sure. like a cat on carpet from marbles on hard pack to solid rock and tracks nice in the Moab sand washes. For awhile we were going thru every 275 we could get and never found a trail condition in the southwest where the NN actually worked. I do know it works well in duffy leaf litter type stuff, but we don't have much of that around here, so those disappeared.... For light high volume the Maxxis Ardent is a favorite here as it is wicked fast and still good ride, but the side walls are pretty light.
    DT

MK_
    carpe maņana
    I'm curious, DT, if you've ever spent any time on any of the Black Chilli compound Continentals? Like Rubber Queen/Trail King or Baron? In my experience Schwalbe tires wear like cheap sneakers, but I've stopped running Schwalbes a few years back when the Rubber Queens came out as those tires lasted like 4 times what I was used to from Schwalbe and gripped better than anything I've run. They may have improved their compound, though, haven't had a reason to go back and check.

_MK
    "No man goes before his time -- unless the boss leaves early."
    -- Marx, Groucho

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I had a pair of 2.35 HansDampf on in Moab and have never had a tire work so well or show so little wear. Amazing tire in everything out west for sure. like a cat on carpet from marbles on hard pack to solid rock and tracks nice in the Moab sand washes. For awhile we were going thru every 275 we could get and never found a trail condition in the southwest where the NN actually worked. I do know it works well in duffy leaf litter type stuff, but we don't have much of that around here, so those disappeared.... For light high volume the Maxxis Ardent is a favorite here as it is wicked fast and still good ride, but the side walls are pretty light.
    DT
    DT -- Good to hear that about the NN. I was planning on using Hans on the front and NN w/Snakeskin on the rear, but I'm in SoCal and if you say that you had a hard time finding a trail condition out here, I'll look for a suitable replacement. I like Schwalbes, so do you have any alternative for a faster rolling rear that has decent sidewalls? Thanks.

Committed
    Quote Originally Posted by MK_ View Post
    I'm curious, DT, if you've ever spent any time on any of the Black Chilli compound Continentals? Like Rubber Queen/Trail King or Baron? In my experience Schwalbe tires wear like cheap sneakers, but I've stopped running Schwalbes a few years back when the Rubber Queens came out as those tires lasted like 4 times what I was used to from Schwalbe and gripped better than anything I've run. They may have improved their compound, though, haven't had a reason to go back and check.

_MK

Still the same case in my experience. My HDs side knobs are tearing already even though they show very little braking wear. I do love drifting the Burner through corners, but still....
    Conti has the best rubber in the industry in my opinion; the Black Chilli is super sticky and wears like a champ. Rolling resistance is surprisingly good for a sticky tire as well. The trail tires from Conti have a firmer Black Chilli compound than the dh treads, both seem just right on the trail. On my Spot I run 2.3 Baron up front and a 2.2 TrailKing out back.
    I do like the sidewalls on the Schwalbe HD, they set up tubeless nicely and the rubber (while it lasts) is good and grippy (trailstar compound).
    I am looking forward to more 275 tire choices in the future.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Conti does not make the Trail King in 275 yet, and it ain't like I have been quiet about it either. I am sure that we will get the Black Chili TK in 275 but it just is not soon enough. The TKs were great in the rocks and the duff in 26, so as long as we get them in 275 before I am too old to know the difference I will be very happy. As of right now though,,, a 2.25 Hans Dampf is a stellar all rounder and the 2.35 is SICK in the rocks if you want a 910+ gram tire that is 28" in diameter. Yep, not twenty fing seven, not 27.5" but a full 28" tall and yes the Burner has room for it with a finger to spare for sticky mud and bent rim.

DT

Committed
    My 2.35 HDs were just over 800 gms each, a reasonable weight considering size and build of the tire. They are working very well tubeless with rim tape and Revo sealant.

Spring is here and the Burner is on the trails again.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Stealth Burner-spring-burner.jpg  

Committed
    Ok, so after riding the Burner and the Spot regularly on the same trails I think I have the 26 vs 275 thing worked out a bit.

A thread will follow to talk about the differences and to answer questions.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Stealth Burner-26-vs-275.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1soulrider View Post
    Ok, so after riding the Burner and the Spot regularly on the same trails I think I have the 26 vs 275 thing worked out a bit.

Great! Looking forward to it

mtbr member

Man, in that picture, the 26" wheel looks really small...
    On MTBR, the reputation is infamous.

Kiwi that Flew

Come on 1SR - Spill those beans already!

mtbr member

Stealth spot

with a touch of kashi gold...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Stealth Burner-spot-1-2-.jpg  

The Stealth Burner-photo.jpg  

The Stealth Burner-photo-4-.jpg  

The Stealth Burner-photo-2-.jpg  

The Stealth Burner-photo-1-.jpg  

"too weird to live, too rare to die"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by deanopatoni View Post
    Come on 1SR - Spill those beans already!
    Did I miss a thread here? Been keeping my eyes on the forum hoping to catch 1SR's thoughts on the two bikes but haven't seen anything yet.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast