Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    mtbr member

road tripper

Beautiful build. I just want to say that i see the burner as the ultimate road trip weapon. You don't have the spot vs sultan dilemma! Not exactly a problem but certainly still an issue that comes up b4 any road trip.

My cup runneth over
    Subscribing...

Looks really good.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by 1soulrider View Post
    They are not Enves for sure but much easier on the wallet. Also I like that I can build these to I9's aluminum spokes which is not possible with Enves
    It'll be interesting to see if you get corrosion of the Al spokes where they contact the drilled holes in the CF rim. Carbon and aluminum are almost the extreme ends of the galvanic series, so if they're in contact, and get wet, it'll drive corrosion. Also, I think I9 use 7075 for the spokes which is the most corrosion prone alloy (but strongest).

Mint bike BTW.
    Last edited by steadite; 01-10-2013 at 09:54 AM.
    whatever...

Kiwi that Flew
    Quote Originally Posted by rmac View Post
    Subscribing...

Looks really good.
    Me too!

mtbr member
    Hi all.

So should we start doing a stealth look? Black ano with black decals? This frame looked amazing when we sent it and looks even better built.

Jarett

Wicketed
    hi all.

So should we start doing a stealth look? Black ano with black decals? This frame looked amazing when we sent it and looks even better built.

Jarett
    YES!
    'I've got a bike, you can ride it if you like. It's got a basket, a bell that rings, and things to make it look good' - Syd B

Kiwi that Flew
    LJ @ turnerbikes has got himself a stealth Burner too. Looks sweeet!

Lj's Murdered Burner | Turner Blog

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Jratt View Post
    Hi all.

Jarett
    Here is a better Idea, Polish the raw frames where the decals would sit, then apply decals prior to beadblasting, beadblast and then remove the decals and anodize.

Now you have the stealth look without having decals on the finished product, as the logo is polished anodized aluminum surrounded by matte black anodizing.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Absolutely! :thumbup::thumbup:

The white decal on black ano is a little too much contrast. Darker logo (black or dark gray) looks awesome

Committed
    Quote Originally Posted by AlienRFX View Post
    Here is a better Idea, Polish the raw frames where the decals would sit, then apply decals prior to beadblasting, beadblast and then remove the decals and anodize.

Now you have the stealth look without having decals on the finished product, as the logo is polished anodized aluminum surrounded by matte black anodizing.
    This looks amazing when done right, I'd love to see Turner offer this in the future.

Committed
    Quote Originally Posted by steadite View Post
    It'll be interesting to see if you get corrosion of the Al spokes where they contact the drilled holes in the CF rim. Carbon and aluminum are almost the extreme ends of the galvanic series, so if they're in contact, and get wet, it'll drive corrosion. Also, I think I9 use 7075 for the spokes which is the most corrosion prone alloy (but strongest).

Mint bike BTW.
    Very interesting. I'll keep a close eye on the spoke rim interface and look for signs of corrosion. And yes, they will be wet & muddy for months to come...
    I would think the ano finish on the spokes would offer some protection?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Yeah, the anodize layer should "help" because it's not electrically conductive, but remember Type II anodizing is just a few microns thick. Also, the anodize likely gets scraped as the spoke is torqued against the rim.

I'm definitely not trying to rain on your parade, it's an unbelievably sweet bike!!!...just something to watch for.
    whatever...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stumblemumble View Post
    BB heights are very different between the Spot and Burner. Check your terrain.
    I've definitely noted the difference. I ride in a wide variety of terrain from rolling XC single track to North East rocks/roots with trips to various Western destinations. Clearly DT felt the need to raise the BB for the production version but I would like to think the differences between the two bikes are not solely linked to the type of terrain due to pedal strikes.

To be honest the main areas I'm interested in are:

Slow tech trails, when you have to finesse the bike through (over?) tricky spots - any difference between the two? does to bigger wheel cause that much of an issue in tight areas? What about the bb?

Air play - how does the bike handle air time, either drops or jumps as compared to the Spot - is it as easy to tweak in the air or does it start to feel sluggish?

I have no doubt that three wheels sizes can thrive in the industry, but I like to buy my bikes for the long haul, as you can see I'm 11 years on the RFX. I'm definitely slowing down in my older years but still have (I hope) plenty of years left. The Spot is so refined it's an easy way for me to go BUT, if I can get all the features of the Spot AND less rolling resistance then it's a no brainer to pick up a Burner.

Turner's website has very little to say with regards to the differences between the two bikes (other than wheel size) so real world comparisons, from folks who actually own both bikes, is a golden opportunity to start defining the Burner's strengths/weaknesses rather then just saying it's a 650b version of the Spot.

Committed
    Quote Originally Posted by steadite View Post
    Yeah, the anodize layer should "help" because it's not electrically conductive, but remember Type II anodizing is just a few microns thick. Also, the anodize likely gets scraped as the spoke is torqued against the rim.

I'm definitely not trying to rain on your parade, it's an unbelievably sweet bike!!!...just something to watch for.
    No worries, I appreciate the insight as this is something I had not considered.

Committed
    Quote Originally Posted by HubbaMan View Post
    I've definitely noted the difference. I ride in a wide variety of terrain from rolling XC single track to North East rocks/roots with trips to various Western destinations. Clearly DT felt the need to raise the BB for the production version but I would like to think the differences between the two bikes are not solely linked to the type of terrain due to pedal strikes.

To be honest the main areas I'm interested in are:

Slow tech trails, when you have to finesse the bike through (over?) tricky spots - any difference between the two? does to bigger wheel cause that much of an issue in tight areas? What about the bb?

Air play - how does the bike handle air time, either drops or jumps as compared to the Spot - is it as easy to tweak in the air or does it start to feel sluggish?

I have no doubt that three wheels sizes can thrive in the industry, but I like to buy my bikes for the long haul, as you can see I'm 11 years on the RFX. I'm definitely slowing down in my older years but still have (I hope) plenty of years left. The Spot is so refined it's an easy way for me to go BUT, if I can get all the features of the Spot AND less rolling resistance then it's a no brainer to pick up a Burner.

Turner's website has very little to say with regards to the differences between the two bikes (other than wheel size) so real world comparisons, from folks who actually own both bikes, is a golden opportunity to start defining the Burner's strengths/weaknesses rather then just saying it's a 650b version of the Spot.
    This is exactly the sort of info I will be providing: real world differences between the two bikes with an honest assessment of the pros and cons of each.
    I need to get a bit more of a feel for the Burner's personality before I start writing up my findings.

Right now I am quite infatuated with it.

Committed
    As I get more ride time on the Burner I like it more and more. This thing is a great trail bike, I’m having a hard time finding weakness with the Burner. I'll keep looking though
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Stealth Burner-tb-1.jpg  

The Stealth Burner-tb-5.jpg  

The Stealth Burner-trail-veiw.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Wow! That looks very nice.

Committed
    The Burner is continuing to impress. The geo is dialed on this bike, and despite the lower bb than my Spot I have yet to have any trouble with pedal strike.
    I love the feeling of the weight being low between the wheels, makes it shine in the corners.

Been out on the Spot a few times now as well, getting close to starting the Burner vs Spot thread.

Some photos from yesterday’s ride:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Stealth Burner-tby-2.jpg  

The Stealth Burner-icy-yuba-3.jpg  

The Stealth Burner-icy-yuba-6.jpg  

The Stealth Burner-sy-trail.jpg  

The Stealth Burner-tby-5.jpg  

The Stealth Burner-tby-3.jpg  

It's carbon dontcha know.
    Sweet looking trails, hoping to finally get out on mine tomorrow. It's going to be cooooold.
    Last edited by 6thElement; 01-18-2013 at 12:16 PM.
    Rolling on 29", 650b, 8.3" and 23mm

Committed
    It will be worth the trouble! Looking forward to hearing your impressions of the Burner.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Very interesting. I'll keep a close eye on the spoke rim interface and look for signs of corrosion. And yes, they will be wet & muddy for months to come...
    I would think the ano finish on the spokes would offer some protection?
    Burner turner ano
    Last edited by RiverSurfer; 02-07-2013 at 01:26 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    It will be worth the trouble! Looking forward to hearing your impressions of the Burner.
    Soulrider,

Are you running a Fox Talas or the Float? Is the fork set at 150mm or 160mm? I just picked up a Burner frame.

Thanks

Committed
    I'm on the Float set (right now) at 150. I have heard less than stellar reports about the 34 talas, and don't find the travel adjust necessary.

So you had issues with corrosion on a enve wheelset? Could you elaborate on what happened?

Oh congrats on the new frame btw, I'm sure you will enjoy it,.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by swan lee View Post
    YES!
    Yes. Love the stealth look.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jratt View Post
    Hi all.

Jarett
    YES! Please add black hardware and head badge to make it "forest park" ready.
    Portland Off Road Navagators

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast