(Mtbr Site Manager) Administrator

The "State of the Turner Forum" Address - Please Read

Hello Everyone,

I have been alerted to some messy stuff goin' down in here, as of late. Overall, the majority of the threads in here are still good, positive, bike Passion.

But there have been a few hot threads recently, and the flames and insults have been flying fast and loose.

I am asking for everyone's help and co-operation in reeling things in a bit, and let's get back to what we love to talk about, Turner Bikes!

Now, I'm not saying that it's gotta be one big love fest in here, but enough is enough. Debate the issues, not the people or their personalities.

Threads that spin out of hand will be locked or deleted altogether.

Thanks in advance for your help.

-gregg kato, Site Manager
    gregg@mtbr.com

(BTW, I am accepting suggestions for co-moderators of this forum. This board is too big for just one moderator.)

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Yes!

Right on! Especially the part about focusing on issues, not personalities. The Turner forum is all about the stoke, the joke, fun, and even some information. And of course, some good natured razzin' (altogether now, think speedo). People who want to engage in hostility can find opportunities to do it all over the web, even mtbr . No need to bring it here. Of course, in theory it would work to just ignore hostile comments, but in practice it doesn't seem to work. A little moderating won't hurt at all when things start getting ugly. Thanks.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by gregg
    I have been alerted
    Thanks. That truly made me laugh out loud.

I wonder how they managed to type through the tears?

No, that's not phonetic
    So now that his presidential bid seems to have fallen through, how about Crazy Fred for moderator?
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    thanx for steppin in to say hi and give us a nudge gregg. its needed as can be seen. guess i can be as guilty as anyone else at times. as far as gettin some bodies to wear the perverbial armor in here, hit zilla over the head till he caves in and takes a spot on top beside airwreck. hes got the balance, best in the group. ssinga would rule with a iron, yet soft and light blue fist. renny would make em laugh till they just gave up. and i? well im a worthless moron but id help out between tacky comments and misinformation if the barrel got that low. im sure theres more able folks but im mentally ruined and cant think. need sleep. hear that? its my pillow screaming at me but most likely ill ignore it.
    No, I'm NOT back!

banned
    me.

Jerk_Chicken, Moderator

Yay! Bikes !
    Nick.

that sews it up. nick is obviously the most qualified for the job. sorry guys. maybe the huffy forum needs some help.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    BTW, I am accepting suggestions for co-moderators of this forum. This board is too big for just one moderator.
    Bikezilla
    Attached Images Attached Images

somehow he looks shorter in that pic. drag about the stomach tumors though. wonder how long he can remain in power before his dr tells him its all over. and furthermore, whats that shes got in her hand?
    No, I'm NOT back!

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Threads that spin out of hand will be locked or deleted altogether.

Thanks in advance for your help.

(BTW, I am accepting suggestions for co-moderators of this forum. This board is too big for just one moderator.)
    Gregg, thanks for stopping by.... and thanks to Airwreck for his moderating efforts!

Question for ya, do moderators have the ability to freely lock threads & block users, or must things really spiral way out of control before action can be taken? Personally I'm all for more "agressive" moderation and even stronger guidelines as to what constitutes an acceptable post. Maybe forum members could even "vote" to lock threads that they find particularly annoying.

I would hate to see the opions of a few become associated with the Turner brand- that would not be fair to DT.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by FM
    Maybe forum members could even "vote" to lock threads that they find particularly annoying.

Interesting.

If I find a particular thread to be annoying or uninteresting, I stop reading it. The mouse is a powerful thing!

That doesn't work for some forum members?

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by FM
    I would hate to see the opions of a few become associated with the Turner brand- that would not be fair to DT.
    The opinions of a few have become associated with the Turner brand. The opinions are those of long term and happy repeat customers here on the board.

As far as locking threads, it's funny to hear the concept of voting them into oblivion simply because you might not like it. How would you base the voting? The number of registered homers? The hundreds to thousands that visit the Turner forum daily? Based on what you don't like? Would you not want to hear about another great Turner CS story for the umpteenth time?

Sometimes debates get heated, but that's when you decide to be a man, make your choice to talk out and discuss, perhaps admit right or wrong, or simply not read and click over to the passion forum to read another "How do you feel about..." post.

It is funny that you make mention of the "few", implying they might be making negative posts. Not once have I seen outrage about Dusty's dumb posts not based in fact, but in trolling and the want to annoy Turner owners, while becoming one himself.

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    I think there is a line where Dusty (and a few others) like to poke at the perceived air of superiority that the Homer collective. I personally think it's a pretty amusing counterbalance to the groupthink that can take over here. I'm pretty sure that line gets crossed when the attacks become a little more personal and belligerent with the name calling and such. It does seem that the tone got a little ugly after CF's latest (and hopefully last) little tirade.

Oh well, my $.02. And yes, Zilla has acquitted himself well as the voice of reason lately. Thanks, Zilla.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Good to see some thoughtful discussion happening!

As for the rep / brand identity thing: I spent a week up in whistler this summer right after the TNT thing went down. I lost track of how many people I rode the lift with, who saw my RFX and commented on the ruckus on the MTBR turner board. General impression = not positive. That is why I would like to see more riding stoke and turner related posts and threads here, and less of the negative stuff.

But Pete, you are right, we can all just tune it out- and I often do. I am just not sure that is the best solution, even if it does work for me.

No, that's not phonetic
    Anybody read that "shape up or get shipped out" warning in a sticky on the DH/FR board a while back? That layed down the law pretty good.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

Obsessed
    Some thoughts from a quasi-outsider. The group here can seem pretty unwelcoming here at times. I know of one person who recently bought a Turner but actually wrote something along the lines of "the attitude a lot of turner owners (primarily over at mtbr) almost made me not order the frame"

Keep that statement in mind. DT has gone to great, great lengths to cultivate a stellar Customer Service reputation. People buy the Turner bikes not only because of the quality of the bikes and the ride, but because they feel like they will be taken care of. This Turner forum is the public face of Turner. People like to feel part of a larger thing. Not feeling welcome here goes counter to the support a Turner customer expects and gets from the company.
    [SIZE="5"]
    Confit de canard
    [/SIZE]

My cup runneth over
    I disagree. I don't think the Turner forum needs any more forceful moderation than it already has. Threads occasionally get locked up and deleted and that is OK. I feel that this is probably already self-policed pretty well and most of the flames die out of their own accord.

No need to change anything.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Heck, this was half the reason I bought a Turner. It's these Kool-Aid drinking, no skillz-having, smack-talking posers that convinced me by their personalities alone. I felt I was missing out on something. To my amazement, I discovered I was

Initially, I was one of those who thought that Homers were a rabid bunch and it made me curious to find out what made them that way. Once I hung out here and spent some quality time while others were working or taking care of their families or some such boring activity, I realized how giving and sensitive these chaps truly are

I hope we don't try to overly moderate this forum. This is my other escape.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rmac
    I disagree. I don't think the Turner forum needs any more forceful moderation than it already has. Threads occasionally get locked up and deleted and that is OK. I feel that this is probably already self-policed pretty well and most of the flames die out of their own accord.

No need to change anything.
    +1

Love how an event comes up, which boils down to a negligibly small amount of total time here and total posts and now all of a sudden it's like that's all there is here.

Then there's the blame placed on Crazy Fred. From what I saw, the Turner board members made him the big deal, constantly responding to him, then starting new thread after thread under the premise of "don't feed his ego", then people saying "I'm not responding, but..." Just leave it to die and things go away.

Oh yeah, I could be wrong, but I believe this is more of a Turner fan board than an truly official Turner web board.

(Mtbr Site Manager) Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete
    Thanks. That truly made me laugh out loud.

I wonder how they managed to type through the tears?

Nope no tears. Just a concerned Turner owner who saw his favorite forum spiraling out of control.

Why always with the smarmy attitude these days, Pete?

-g

(and to others: Of course, I never expect a community to respond to one of my truce-calling pleas, with a, "yes, please moderate us more." But it is my job to decide when things have gone too far, and from a few threads in here, I believe they HAVE gone too far, lately. Here on the Mtbr forums, we let a LOT of stuff slide, as it is already, but every forum has it's limits. And the old, "don't like it don't look" argument doesn't hold water.)