Knollician

Stan's FR rim review

I now have about 25-30 rides on my rims, so I think I can provide a review for those interested.

I ride South Mountain , so all but 1 ride has been there. SOMO is rough, constant rock gardens, square edged granite, high speed DH's and slow speed climbing. I do some small drops (maybe 3' to flat) and some maybe 4-5' to transition jumps. Nothing special. But as many people on this board can attest SOMO is very tough on components.

My setup includes an 06 RFX, 66SL, and Maxxis 2.7 DH 2 ply tires. I weight in at about 190 fully loaded.

The Stan's FR rims are built to a King ISO rear and 20mm front, built by Dave Thomas with 1.7/2.0 and 1.8/2.0 wheelsmith spokes and aluminum nipples. The weights came in at 928 grams for the front and 1022 for the rear. So 1950 for the set. That weight includes the required Stan's Schrader valved rim strips.

So far, the wheels are very true. They have required the standard 1/8 turn tension on a few spokes after the first few rides. I have jumped off of a few ledges and managed to land right on a square edge. I heard and felt the standard thump and thought for sure I damaged the rim. To my surprise, nothing was damaged, dented, or anything. Since the bead hook is so low, there is nothing to flat spot. The weight is on par with my previous 819 rims, except they are 32mm wide. They are nice and stiff.

Mounting my Maxxis DH tires tubeless is very simple as well. No problems at all. Everything seals very well and I only have to do minor pressure adjustments every couple of rides or so.

My overall impressions at this point is that they are a great rim. I'm sure the quality build also contributes to this. I'm not too sure about the price, at $95 (including strips) they are a bit pricey. But the weight and strength surely should be noted. The finish of the rims is top notch as well.
    "Three balls at once...who knew?" - Cotton McKnight

PSI
    I want that one

thanks for the review

im thinking about getting the xc version (olympic - 350gr?) for my flux. since the flux is my new favorite bike it gets to do rougher than standard xc stuff and im wondering if theyll holdup. from your review of their bigger bros seems like there's a chance

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PSI
    im thinking about getting the xc version (olympic - 350gr?) for my flux. since the flux is my new favorite bike it gets to do rougher than standard xc stuff and im wondering if theyll holdup. from your review of their bigger bros seems like there's a chance
    The FR rims weigh almost 1/2 a pound more each than the Olympics, so I wouldn't go too far extrapolating their durability with regards to the Olympics. I've had good success with the Olympic rims on my Flux over the last two seasons, but use them almost entirely for racing. I just don't see them holding up to everyday use on a bike like the Flux.

Stan will be offering two new rims that fall between the Olympics and FR rims, the lighter of the two is supposed to be 420 grams and would seem like a good choice for all around riding on the Flux.
    A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have.