SRAM drivetrain setup questions

Specs:

'08 X9 long cage rear derailleur
    '08 X9 triggers
    XT M770 11-34 cassette
    XTR CN-7701 chain w/ SRAM Power Link
    XTR M961 front derailleur
    RF Turbine LP 5-arm square taper 22-32-44

When setting up the chain, I normally go big big and add two links. However, I was a half link off due to adding the Power Link and had to add 2 1/2 links. It seems a little loose. With a Shimano rear derailleur, I would normally go tighter, but this is the first time with SRAM. Will the shifting suffer at all with the chain a little tighter?

Regarding the shifter cable at the rear derailleur. I believe I might be a little tight. The cable touches at the seatstay pivot. When pulling the housing away, it appears to overly tighten the cable and move the derailleur. Should the housing not touch the seatstay?

That's all I have for now. I hope to do the fine tuning tomorrow after work, so I may have more questions at that time. Thanks.

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    ill get arguments but id say 2 over is too big. at a staic position w/ the chain out of the f der cage (the rear too if yer experienced in this technique and ya use 2 finges to replicate the r der cage), wrap around the big/big faulting on the side of long and there ya go. in 15 years ive never snapped a chain on any of my or my custys bikes no matter the travel.

housing should never bind. think smooth arcs and no kinks. 90 deg or less if ya can. lose the plastic ferrules and get alloy units. always use high qual ss cables and lined housing but avoid the fancy shmancy crap. its a waste of good beer money.

this might help:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    No, I'm NOT back!

trail fairy
    Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    ill get arguments but id say 2 over is too big. at a staic position w/ the chain out of the f der cage (the rear too if yer experienced in this technique and ya use 2 finges to replicate the r der cage), wrap around the big/big faulting on the side of long and there ya go. in 15 years ive never snapped a chain on any of my or my custys bikes no matter the travel.

housing should never bind. think smooth arcs and no kinks. 90 deg or less if ya can. lose the plastic ferrules and get alloy units. always use high qual ss cables and lined housing but avoid the fancy shmancy crap. its a waste of good beer money.

this might help:
    You running triple on yer RfX blashemy

dual ring setup!

even on triples I tend to run tigher chains than say an LBS would aply usually one link less, I do m own so I can only blame myself, never had a let down yet, sram is more tolerable than Shimano imo!

Many ways to check, just don't do too many links at a time be good to see a picc of ya setup now! CC is onto it I think
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

TLL
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by royta
    Regarding the shifter cable at the rear derailleur. I believe I might be a little tight. The cable touches at the seatstay pivot. When pulling the housing away, it appears to overly tighten the cable and move the derailleur. Should the housing not touch the seatstay?
    That bit of housing from the seatstay to the der needs to be fairly short, or else you may get some ghosting on shifts. Mine touches a little on the stay but does not interfere with shifting. With the SRAM stuff the positioning of that cable stop is less than ideal. But no worries, it works just fine.

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    the rfx hasnt seen a triple for a long time. old pic.
    No, I'm NOT back!

trail fairy
    Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    the rfx hasnt seen a triple for a long time. old pic.
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs