respect the wildlife

Squeaky bushing - avoid riding?

First time Turner owner. I have been riding my new RFX for a month or so. Yesterday one of the pivots started squeaking a bit. So no more procrastinating, I'm ordering the Manitou Perp M grease and gun/head thing. I called around some of the Ft Collins bike shops and no one has it in stock.

My question is, do I need to stay off the bike in the mean time? Will I damage the bushing by letting it squeak for a couple of days?

Many thanks in advance for any help... for due diligence, I took a couch shot of the frame before I built it up, isn't that obligatory around here?
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    If your grease gun is just a couple days away I say ride on! BTW, good looking frame!

banned
    Just get the one Turner sells because it includes that needle that would cost over $10 on its own.

Buy some swag and derailleur hangers to spread out the high costs of shipping.

Lay off the Levers
    Nice couch. Get a cup the Koolaid is in the corner.

I had thought my pivot was squeaking once it turned out to be the spring on the shock. Check to make sure the top and bottom aren't shifting and also check the spring isn't rubbing against the large blue knob on the piggyback That's where my squeek came from.

I'm pretty sure the bushings would have to be amazingly dry to sqeek if they do at all. I'd think it'd take a year or more of riding w/o grease to get that bad. I doubt even a few months could do this.
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

respect the wildlife
    Zilla - been gulping it man... this thing is sweet. I've been climbing, downhillling and even checking out the new dirtjumps and pump track at Lory. The bike has been fantastic in all regards.

Thanks for the tips. I'll check the shock, for sure the squeak was coming from that region of the bike. My mid-ride, cursory, from-the-saddle judgement was that the noise was coming from the center rocker-arm pivot, so it could well be the spring. It was a wet, muddy ride, whatever that means.

Any specific techniques for testing if the spring is moving around? Could it squeak on a damp day, and yet still be ok? My previous bike made so much damn noise, I never even tried to sort it out.

Lay off the Levers
    Hmmm,
    see if the spring can shift front to back or side to side by hand. If you don't have a lot of preload it can move. Don't up the preload to keep it in place though. That would obviously compromise your ride. I cut two flat thin plastic rings from a disposable cuttingboard and put them between the spring and the retainers. If it's rubbing the shock piggyback you'll see marks on the spring and the backside of the large blue bottom out adjuster knob.

The rocker pivot is suprisingly low wear compared to the bb pivot...I would think it would be very unlikely it could get dry enough to squeek w/o some very unusual circumstances. (but hey, I'm wrong as much as I'm wright...uh rite, uh, correct)

Sounds like you're hittin' up that baby the way it was intended... Good on you!
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    ill bet a beer its the reducers. a dab of grease will make everyone happy again. follow chicken boys advice though. all of it.
    No, I'm NOT back!

No, that's not phonetic
    Do NOT put grease on the shock reducer bushings. That's bad.

Drop a couple drops of chain lube on each of the o-rings. I have had those squeak once or twice in the past. You can run the pivots totally dry according to Turner. DT seems to think it does not make much of a diff. Dunno, but you certainly won't hurt it riding for a bit until you can give them all a gentle zap of grease.

Lots of stuff can sqeak. It's usually my Time pedal cleats on the XSs.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

ahhh.... this is where he and i differ in opinion. a tiny dab of grease on the outside of each reducer between it and the frames pick up point will keep any squeeks from developin. this is dt approved by the way. grease between the ruducer and the shock bushing is indeed bad. very bad.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    Do NOT put grease on the shock reducer bushings. That's bad. .
    Thank You! I was just about to say the same thing, except I am relatively new here and it seems I do not have the same kind of clout..

Grease = grit Grit = wear

Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    You can run the pivots totally dry according to Turner. DT seems to think it does not make much of a diff. Dunno, but you certainly won't hurt it riding for a bit until you can give them all a gentle zap of grease.
    The pivots are after all the same technology as a shock bushing. The only real difference is that the pivots are protected/sealed with x-rings so you can grease without the ingress of abrasive bits.

J_B
    3056-BigGameHunter
    On the topic of grease...............I'm using the Manipoo Prep M grease and grease gun. I was just checking out the Rock n Roll Lube website, as I use their chainlube, and saw that they have a bearing grease that comes in a tube.

Can that be used instead of the Prep M? Just curious just in case I can't get ahold of some Prep M when I run out.
    PipeHittersUnion

e.thirteen,EVOMO,IntenseCycles,Maxxis,ODI,SDG,661

No, that's not phonetic
    The benefit to Pre M is that is is very low viscosity stuff and if anything will actually get pumped through the reeeaaaaallllly snug Turner pivots, it's gonna be Prep M. Thicker stuff- good luck.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

hey cheese. so ya dont think the r-n-r will push through the zerks and such all? too bad. i was gonna have squish order me some up and give it a whirl. its been years since ive used their grease so ive forgotten how thick it might be.
    No, I'm NOT back!