mtbr member
    Mar 2004

spring preload and shock setup

my 5 spot will be here in about 5 days. the dealer is giving me a 650# spring and I weigh about 265#s. I am affraid that my spring will be too soft! can I firm it up until I get the 700# (it will take 1 week) spring using preload? if so how? will I be bottoming out all the time on the trail and will I be bobbing like crazy?

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by tony0643
    my 5 spot will be here in about 5 days. the dealer is giving me a 650# spring and I weigh about 265#s. I am affraid that my spring will be too soft! can I firm it up until I get the 700# (it will take 1 week) spring using preload? if so how? will I be bottoming out all the time on the trail and will I be bobbing like crazy?
    650 is a bit soft, but with 2-3 turns (total) of preload, you should be able to get about 25% - 30% sag. It'll be fine.

You may bottom a bit if you ride very rough or jump, but 650 is usable. Bobbing won't be an issue.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tony0643
    ...can I firm it up until I get the 700#...
    If you can keep within Romic's suggested preload to achieve the desired sag I'd suggest sticking with the 650. The 700 requires loading the spring to allow the Spring Retainer to slip on/off. Getting it on isn't too big of an issue it's getting it off that's a b!tch. If any of you have any suggestions on how to load a spring while still allowing the removal of the Spring Retainer I'm all ears. Next time you ride with the 650 push the shock bumper down the shaft and monitor it throughout your ride to see if you're actually bottoming the shock out. If not you should be OK with the softer spring.

mtbr member

I weigh...

...close to 250# with gear and run a 750# spring on my "works" Romic on my RFX - 7.5" i2i, 2" stroke with 5" plates installed. Rides great with essentially zero preload - just enough to hold the spring in place.

Don't understand the comment re the 700# spring - unless you're trying to squeeze on a too-long aftermarket Ti piece you shouldn't have issues installing any of these springs with your bare paws.

Sean
    Professional Amateur. Disagree? Submit your grievances here.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Soupboy
    Don't understand the comment re the 700# spring - unless you're trying to squeeze on a too-long aftermarket Ti piece you shouldn't have issues installing any of these springs with your bare paws.
    Soupboy,
    The spring is a standard issue Romic. When installing/removing the spring I screw the Adjustable Spring Retainer down as far as I possibly can on the shock body and slip the spring on. The problem occurs because the top of the spring is just high enough to prevent the Top Spring Retainer from sliding on and recessing against the Top Eyelet. I think part of this might be due to the fact that Romic doesn't make a 700 x 2.0 spring they only make a 700 x 2.25 and whether the 2.25 creates a longer spring or not I couldn't tell you.
    Crash

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Would this work?

I don't know if the Romics are the same as others, or if I'm even interpreting your problem right, but I've done this a few times with a Fox shock. While the spring is compressed 1/2" or more, put a bunch of heavy duty zip ties around adjacent coils, thus attempting to keep it somewhat compressed, and buying you just enough room to get the retainer off. Again, HEAVY DUTY zip ties.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by alibi
    Again, HEAVY DUTY zip ties.
    alibi,

Thanks, that should do the trick. You've got to love zipties. I'll try it out later this week seeing as how I should receive the other shock from Romic any day now . I wish they had a smiley that rolled it's eyes and the corner of it's mouth was turned down rather than up. I'd call it the Roll Eyes (You gotta be kidding me!) smile rather than Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) smilie. Oh well, pretty soon I'll just start using the (mad) smilie.

Thanks,
    Crash
    Last edited by CrashTheDOG; 05-03-2004 at 01:39 PM.