mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Spot tough enough for me? Need a pack?

Hey Homers,

I recently built up a spot to be the 'one' bike and am loving it! Coming from a hardtail its sooo smooth as butter and always a pleasure to ride. I do a lot of trail riding but have also been getting in to more and more freeriding as well.

Since I have never had such a capable ride before, I am love being able to push my limits on drops and jumps and have found myself hucking 7 foot drops and wanting to go bigger which I never thought I would be doin. So far the spot has fealt fine but I dont want to cause her damage.

Another reason I'm lookin at a pack is that I am runnig a talas 36 which i run at 5 for the trails and 6 for dh and fr stuff. It feels great and I like the slack head angle but some stuff I have been readin on the forum has got me worried about damaging the frame. Saying that, I only weigh 145lbs.

I am 5'7 and my med spot with 50mm stem feels just right, so would it be a small pack for me?

Is the rear end of the pack as plush and active as the spot's (been running a romic)?

Will my spot hold up to my ridin?

Any advice is much appreciated.

Lay off the Levers
    IMO you should give strong consideration to getting a Pack.
    The spot wasn't made for repeated drops over 4' ... 7' hucks is way beyond it's design. The 36 Talas fork was designated by DT as a bad choice on the Spot for just this reason...it encourages the rider to take the frame beyond it's designed use.

The good news is you can option the heck out of the Pack if you want. You can get it in 5 or 6" travel, you can shorten the wheelbase with a 5 Spot Rear or even go crazy custom and use a longer shock with a shorter seatstay to increase the travel to ~7" as in Tscheezy's experiments. (Do a search for that)

But the stock configuration of the Pack/RFX is sweet, very nicely balanced and works extremely well with big forks like the 36 and 66SL. (and even bigger)

As for plush... wooo it's got plenty of plush. Get it with the DHX-C and never look back! Since you're light you can even consider a DHX-A and perhaps get the RP3 low volume sleeve for a more progressive ride as an option.
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

mtbr member
    Is the rear end of the pack as plush and active as the spot's (been running a romic)?

[/QUOTE]
    YES

Ditto what Zilla said......I think you would be stoked on the Pack. It is amazing how much one extra inch makes. If you think the 5 spot is plush and active, you will be pleasantly surprised by 6pack.

The only other thing I could suggest is to keep the spot and get a bigger bike. The 6pack is going to be a bit heavier and not as trail friendly. If you have the $$$, it would be nice to have the 5spot and the Highline. I have the 6pack as my one bike.......with two sets of wheels and an adjustable fork (66sl).

mtbr member
    Im 5'7" tall and ride a small Pack/RFX (Packs can only be purchased used now) with a 60mm-70mm stem and a 50mm for the major FR stuff but the 70mm feels good most of the time. I sure wouldnt want a bigger frame for any stunt-FR-DH riding.
    Pearl & Paiste, weapons of mass percussion

not so super...
    You need a small RFX/Pack. 70-90mm stem
    Nothing to see here.

mtbr member
    you're 57 and are doing 7' drops! Respect

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Thanks for all the wise words, I'm def leaning towards a pack/rfx and since I've started ridin a turner I am dont think I will look elsewhere for a bigger bike. I cant afford 2 nice bikes, so I think I'll sell my spot for a second hand pack. I think that would be the better option than keeping the spot and gettin a real cheap big bike.

Just spotted a small pack with dhx coil in the classifieds! Purple though? Not really my colour. A new black coat would be in order.

57? not quite that old, but hopefully by then I'll be doin more than 7' drops!

Outcast
    How about this small pack. It's grey: http://classifieds.mtbr.com/cgi-bin/...uery=retrieval

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Just buy a small pack front triangle for $600 or so direct from turner and make a 5 pack? That'll be fine with the 36.

Outcast
    Or you could buy Airwreck's clssic RFX frame for cheap,it's not cosmetically pretty, but it has both 5 and 6 inch rockers; http://classifieds.mtbr.com/cgi-bin/...uery=retrieval

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Hmm, got some options to consider. Thanks for the heads up on the 2 frames. I think the grey one is sold as its listed in red. Airwreck's rfx looks like a bargain.

Is the 2002 rfx geometry and performance same as later packs? Anyone know what the vanilla rc rides like?

An extra inch travel would def be welcome so dunno about a 5 pack.

7" rockers would be a sweet option, tscheezy's engineering experiment looks impressive. I saw someone selling a 2002 rfx with some homemade 7 rockers on ebay a little while ago, but e2e was still 7.5. Did that guy get it wrong?

Lay off the Levers
    The red is a ad visibility upgrade. It does not mean it's sold.
    Tscheezy's ~7" option was achieved with 6" rockers. He used a longer stroke shock and shorter seat stays to make it work. The custom 7" rockers (see the rocker thread link in the faq at the top of the forum list) uses the same 7.5x2" shock at a higher leverage ratio. Those longer rockers are one-offs made by the posters, there aren't any up for sale AFAIK.
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    Quote Originally Posted by tompg7
    Is the 2002 rfx geometry and performance same as later packs? Anyone know what the vanilla rc rides like?
    here ya go. 1st, the new '06 geo. 2nd, the '02 geo. i got a '02 rfx just like airwrecks and run it in 5 and 6" modes. mostly i keep it in 5" and trail ride the shite out of it, including some nasty clinbs. unbelievably fun bike and as dt told me as he was talkin me into gettin it, "its as close to superman as a guy yer age should get." in other words, its about indestructable. huck away my friend!

A=Top Tube Length - B=Seat Tube Angle - C=Seat Tube Length - D=Chainstay Length - E=Bottom Bracket Height

S M L XL
    A 22.5" 23.4" 24.3" 25.2"
    B 72 72 72 72
    C 16.0" 18.5" 20.0" 22.5"
    D 17.1" 17.1" 17.1" 17.1"
    E 14.25" 14.25" 14.25" 14.25"
    F 31.4" 31.5" 32.0" 33.0"
    G 43.4" 44.3" 45.7" 46.2"
    H 68 68 68 68
    I 4.0" 4.0" 5.0" 5.0"
    Frame Weight
    8.5 Lbs. w/Coil
    7.7 Lbs. w/Air

F=Standover Height - G=Wheelbase - H=Head Tube Angle - I=Head Tube Length
    Attached Images Attached Images
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Good work on finding the 02 geo! How much does swapping the 5 and 6' rockers change the ride?

Yea, the grey pack has been sold, I emailed the guy selling it.

The seller of the purple pack (megan brady) has offered to trade it for my spot, which I am considering.

Sell my spot and buy airwreck's rfx, or trade it for the purple pack, which do you guys think would be the better deal?

not so super...
    Good work on finding the 02 geo! How much does swapping the 5 and 6' rockers change the ride?

Yea, the grey pack has been sold, I emailed the guy selling it.

The seller of the purple pack (megan brady) has offered to trade it for my spot, which I am considering.

Sell my spot and buy airwreck's rfx, or trade it for the purple pack, which do you guys think would be the better deal?
    An even frame trade for the Purple Pack would be my choice. That said the plus with the 02 RFX is the 5" rockers.
    Last edited by SSINGA; 05-23-2006 at 07:34 AM.
    Nothing to see here.

Outcast
    Trading for the purple pack makes a lot of sense. You get a "fresher frame" the dhx-coil. Selling your spot to buy airwrecks frame would net you some dollars that you would perhaps use up for a fresh paint job, and then you could buy a dhx shock or get the vanilla pushed. Pretty much a trade off, except for the time. You'll be waiting for your spot to sell, etc.
    The purple frame looks like it's in good shape.

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    Good work on finding the 02 geo! How much does swapping the 5 and 6' rockers change the ride ?
    does the word "huge" mean anything? in 5", its a classic yet kinda heavy trail bike but capable of doin dumb ass stuff without fear of breakage if the parts spec is reasonable. in 6", its a pure beast that will do about anything ya wish it to. huckin, trail, d/h, pickin up chicks, whatever. it becomes ultra plush and very laid back geo wise. somewhere i posted the numbers on both of my builds so search yerself crazy if yer interested. try "SPaaNB". that should get ya there.

my vote is for the old rfx. the rc should be pretty sweet and like mentioned before, youll have plenty of cash left over for not only a custon pc/sticker job, but perhaps a fresh dhxc as well. also it looks to me like ya get a king h/set and some "a" rockers in the deal and those are very good things. take the plunge!
    No, I'm NOT back!