mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Spot rear shock question....

Hi all

I have an 06 spot (with 5.5 rockers) and a DHX air 5.0 rear shock. After swapping bikes with my pops (he's got a Flux with a RP3) I was surprised to find that I liked the way his bike seemed to respond to rear end bumps. The DHX seems to blow through its travel and bottom out, or else I air it up and it hits hard on small stuff. Seems to rebound and top out harshly on small bumps. Rebound seems to do little.

I did some research on here, and it looks like most people have dumped their DHX's to go for RP3, RP2 or RP23?

Is the size of the shock 7x2? Does this still apply for a bike with the 5.5 rocker arms? Any recommendations? I understand what 7" means, but what about the 2"?

TIA!

BTW, both bikes handled really, really well. Up and down.

Team Blindspot
    Quote Originally Posted by mattsteve
    Hi all

I have an 06 spot (with 5.5 rockers) and a DHX air 5.0 rear shock. After swapping bikes with my pops (he's got a Flux with a RP3) I was surprised to find that I liked the way his bike seemed to respond to rear end bumps. The DHX seems to blow through its travel and bottom out, or else I air it up and it hits hard on small stuff. Seems to rebound and top out harshly on small bumps. Rebound seems to do little.

I did some research on here, and it looks like most people have dumped their DHX's to go for RP3, RP2 or RP23?

Is the size of the shock 7x2? Does this still apply for a bike with the 5.5 rocker arms? Any recommendations? I understand what 7" means, but what about the 2"?

TIA!

BTW, both bikes handled really, really well. Up and down.

Your shock size is 7.5 X 2.0. Dump the DHX and pick up an RP3 or RP23 and have it Pushed.

If you want a coil, you can go with a Vanilla RC or Van R. Both those shocks Pushed are very nice on a spot.

Good Luck!
    Astigmatic Visionary

No, that's not phonetic
    The 2" refers to the stroke (the distance the shock can compress).

Get a "low volume" air sleeve for your shock. The DHX Air ships with the high volume sleeve and it blows for bigger riders. The LV sleeve will allow you to run 20psi lower pressures, more sag, better small bump absorption, and it resists bottoming magnificently. It also only costs about $40 from Fox or a Fox dealer. It is easy to install. Take a look at the Air Sleeve Maintenance video on the Fox Tech site.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Thanks for the info.....Ill keep an eye open for that shock....

Seems like they are hard to find...nothing in the classifieds here or on fleabay...

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I weigh 170, do you think that the larger sleeve will still help?

$40 sounds a bit easier than $250....

Thanks

No, that's not phonetic
    Not larger. Smaller air sleeve. Yes, it is a cheap experiment that may solve all your issues.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Ok, Thanks for the info!

trail fairy
    Good info Tscheezy might give that a go myself something else to play with on the bike
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Can anyone elaborate on the differences between RP2, RP3 and RP23?

The reviews were a bit vague......

I found a deal on a RP2, but ?