Thread: To Spot or not?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

To Spot or not?

I'm this close to ordering a Spot. I ride in rocky, rooty, short steep Ct. Need a really good allrounder that can also climp the short steep technical stuff. Pretty much everything I've heard tells me the Spot can climb this stuff well. Not interested in drops, tires try to stay in contact with Mother Earth at all times. Really looking for the right ride for pretty fast, very tech,plenty of rocks singletrack with rocky climbs. Is the Spot the right bike? TIA

BSG
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

... and if we just ... Yes

Sure the 5-spot will work very well for that terrain. Is it more travel then you need. maybe. But if your riding tech trail at speed the spot will be the best bike you can purchase. The only reason not to get one might be if you race and need a super light Cross Country rig. Go for the burner then. I ride very steep terrain in Telluride and im sure the Spot wil climb like a charm. Ive only ridden mine is moab and fruita so far( 5 spot heaven). It climbed very smoothly. Nice and stiff suspention. And it raised my level of confidence on the Downhill on the very first ride.
    Go for it. You wont be disapointed
    BSG

Lay off the Levers
    Quote Originally Posted by arc1
    I'm this close to ordering a Spot. I ride in rocky, rooty, short steep Ct. Need a really good allrounder that can also climp the short steep technical stuff. Pretty much everything I've heard tells me the Spot can climb this stuff well. Not interested in drops, tires try to stay in contact with Mother Earth at all times. Really looking for the right ride for pretty fast, very tech,plenty of rocks singletrack with rocky climbs. Is the Spot the right bike? TIA
    I'm in NY on the CT boarder...so the trails we ride are very similar...if not the same. This bike handles the steep, rocky, rooty, technical terrain so well you'll think Turner designed it here. The first day I cleaned stuff that had thwarted me all season. As long as you're not racing you'll be happier than you might expect. Just be prepared to ride harder b/c the bike will push you for more and more and more and....

Has the bike made me a better rider?...I don't know, but I suck lot less.
    Faster is better, even when it's not.