mtbr member
    Apr 2004

The Spot goes into the basement, The Reborn Burner goes for a ride

I've been riding my new Spot a lot lately. Let's say I've been frustrating the Spot lately. "Faster, more drops, big air...come on come on!" it keeps chanting at me. And if not the Spot my Superlight ("and now for something completely different"). The RB has been stewing in the basement. Finally last night it came upstairs and basically told me point blank we're going riding together soon.

I said, yeah, yeah, let me think about it. The next morning there it was, ready to go. What could I say? The Spot went into the basement.

The snow has finally completely melted off this one trail I haven't been on since last October, so off we went. You know, once you ride the Spot enough you just get used to what it is and how it handles. But I have to say the RB just is quicker. It just felt right. Maybe I'll only take out the Spot on really rough trails without a lot of climbing. Anyway...

The Reborn Burner glowing in the sunlight of a ride. We came up on a pesky section that I've made half way up but (again, as you know, pics don't do it justice) I've only seen two others make it all the way. It's very steep and lots of rocks to plow through while going straight up.
    Last edited by xcguy; 06-20-2012 at 05:10 AM.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Further on up the trail I glanced to my left and what did I see?

A bike bolt with a story. Someone found this on the trail and the tree stump next to it was just crying out for the part to join it. Just happened to be a hole there the right size. What did this bolt fall off from? What part fell off the rider's bike down the trail?

At the top of this one climb some pure white quartz erupts from the ground. It goes for about 30 yards then disappears. You know how I like cool rocks. That's the only place on the entire trail this happens. No lizards.

Great day for a ride. Supposed to snow Thursday!
    Last edited by xcguy; 06-20-2012 at 05:10 AM.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

Dishwasher Safe
    Nice to see you were able to get out and ride! That trail looks like a lot of fun. I'm a little worried about you though. How long have you been having conversations with your bikes???

Some of the coolest 'rock' I found was on the McKenzie River Trail in Oregon. There's a 5 mile section of lava flow that was pretty interesting stuff to ride on.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy
    The snow has finally completely melted off this one trail I haven't been on since last October, so off we went. You know, once you ride the Spot enough you just get used to what it is and how it handles. But I have to say the RB just is quicker. It just felt right. Maybe I'll only take out the Spot on really rough trails without a lot of climbing. Anyway...
    This is probably heritical on the Turner forum where more travel is always better, but I strongly preferred my XCE to my 5-spot. I never warmed to the 5-spot. Too much travel for how I ride. Of course my Sultan is my favorite bike ever (even more than my beloved XCE)

My cup runneth over
    Still love my Burner too. I even like it with a 130 mm travel up front - who needs a Spot???

Nice pics and story.

Alaska Turner Mafia
    Rode my Burner a ton this winter as well. I set it up with coil suspension components so I wouldn't have to worry about shrinking seals and losing air in cold weather. We had some pretty rough conditions at times with moose hoof divots on our hardpacked snowy and icy trails, and the Burner was just the ticket. I've owned this bike since the end of '03, and with annaul upgrades am just diggin' it more and more each year. Now with a new decal treatment from jnc it even looks sharp!

I'm wondering, like MightySchmoe, if my Sultan will wind up top dog.

The studded tires just came off. Come on summer! (Which means at least another month for us here in Alaska)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Deceleration Trauma is my middle name

Mt Wilson Motoboy

I still love my Burner

XR'ed and RP23'ed she rolls just fine thank you.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    [SIZE="2"][SIZE="2"][SIZE="2"]"My people are the people of the dessert!"
    said T.E. Lawrence picking up his fork...[/SIZE]
    [/SIZE][/SIZE]

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    good stuff guys. im with ya all, mostly. although i still dig the flux more, ive also been spentin more time on ike lately. sorry, no pics. it has been a blast to spend some time on the '96 this past winter after a long break. now its back to the rfx so ill be ready for the BHFTF the end of may.

thats a cool pic tedroy.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Mt Wilson Motoboy

When you comin' out west Cactus?

We got some stuff for ya in Pasadena. Killer climbs pay killer DH!
    [SIZE="2"][SIZE="2"][SIZE="2"]"My people are the people of the dessert!"
    said T.E. Lawrence picking up his fork...[/SIZE]
    [/SIZE][/SIZE]

ya might have to meet me 1/2 way pal. ill be in utah for the thc. they have a shuttle.

id dig commin out to cali and have a few standin offers, now i have yers too. thanx. ya never know. i havent ridden out there since my pk ripper days in the very early 80's.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

The Spot is currently at 28 lbs

I actually put a Revelation on it just to test out the theory of how "stiff" the Maxle makes the front wheel. I figured 130 vs 140 wasn't that big a factor for xc riding. The Burner is 27 lbs with the Reba U-Turn. The Pike goes back on today. The 719/WTB HeavyDuty 20mm hub that Larry built up for me actually weighs LESS than the 317/XTR wheel that's on it now. So with Pike the Spot is at about 28.7 lbs.

I thought if I rode the Spot enough I would get used to all the subtle differences between this 5 1/2" bike and the Burner. Of course, when you're riding a longer travel bike you want to access the added travel or what's the point? Maybe it's got something to do with the PUSHed RP23 accessing full travel most of the time that somehow saps my energy on all the steady climbing we have here on the Front Range.

My point is: when I was in Moab I really enjoyed the Spot on all the gnar I rode. Any extended climbs were always accompanied with lots of ledges and sharp edged hits and I came to think of the Spot as the bike I would take out on an all day adventure. It definitely seems more capable as an all-day bike when the trails are gonna be rough.

I tried riding the Spot as my #1 xc machine here but for now I'm going to reach for it on only the roughest trails. You know, if I didn't like the Burner so much this would be a different discussion. Anyone who has ridden a Burner set up like mine knows what I'm talking about, those who have only ridden a stock Burner have no idea.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

CC do you ride a medium?

Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    good stuff guys. im with ya all, mostly. although i still dig the flux more, ive also been spentin more time on ike lately. sorry, no pics. it has been a blast to spend some time on the '96 this past winter after a long break. now its back to the rfx so ill be ready for the BHFTF the end of may.

thats a cool pic tedroy.
    If you're ever visiting in the Denver area I'll introduce you to the Reborn Burner.

yes i do and yes i will. wanna take a spin on a rfx? we will be lookin for a overnight stop on the way to thc. if that ends up bein denver, ill let ya know. or we can convoy outta town if ya think ya can keep up droppin into rifle.
    No, I'm NOT back!

gravity curmudgeon
    Do more with less or do more with more ... pick your poison!

It seems to me the biggest driver is that for many the emphasis of MTB has gone to descending where up is just a necessary evil. In that case it's all about the bigger bike, regardless of the trail. For others, like myself, climbing is a substantial and fun part of MTB. I just want a bike that is big enough to "buy me some skills" while not taking away too much from my enjoyment of climbing. The 5spot is a great fit for me with having only one bike, although I do have days where I yearn for the zippy flux.

As some of us say with skiing, "it's all good."

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

I agree entirely

Quote Originally Posted by cowdog
    Do more with less or do more with more ... pick your poison!

It seems to me the biggest driver is that for many the emphasis of MTB has gone to descending where up is just a necessary evil. In that case it's all about the bigger bike, regardless of the trail. For others, like myself, climbing is a substantial and fun part of MTB. I just want a bike that is big enough to "buy me some skills" while not taking away too much from my enjoyment of climbing. The 5spot is a great fit for me with having only one bike, although I do have days where I yearn for the zippy flux.

As some of us say with skiing, "it's all good."
    In fact, I keep thinking of the trails around your area of Montana (never been). I just picture the singletrack you ride normally as being more "way out there, all day epic" kind of riding. In that case I could see only having the Spot because it climbs well enough and it certainly can handle anything a trail can throw at it.