mtbr member

Spot fork choices - Pike 426 versus 454

This has been the longest decision making process I've ever been through , but I've finally got something pretty clear in mind.

I've gone off the idea of getting the TALAS as I think I'll need something a bit 'sturdier'. Basically the choice is now between the Rockshox Pike Air 454 and the non-air 426. Non-air is about $150 cheaper in Korea and comes in black. The air version is about 200grams lighter but only comes in a dark gray that does not appeal as much.

For reference, I currently have a 2004 Vanilla 125R. Pretty good but very limited adjustability and lots of brake dive and general up-and-downiness. Some people have suggested having it Push'd but I'd rather just get something new.

Anyway, any opinions on the 454 versus 426? The guy at my LBS has suggested the Hugi hub to go with it.

Cheers, Duncan

MK_
    carpe maņana
    I think that this is a great choice for the fork. But your info about PIKEs isn't correct. The difference between 454 and 426 is not coil vs air. The difference is that 454 has a hollow crown and aluminum steerer. 426 has an external floodgate (as does 454) which 409 does not. As far as springs go, you can get them all in all the flavors. U-Turn, Dual Air, Air U-Turn, etc.

As of colors, 454 has these options: Dead Moss Grey, Diffusion Black, Silver, the same as 426 and 409. What color is your Spot again?

As of coil vs air, PIKE coil, unlike Marzocchi forks, and aruguably Foxes (to a lesser extent) does not have any progressivity control at the bottom of the stroke. The air spring alleviates that problem as reported at these boards, including Tscheesy.

(All the PIKE infro in the first two paragraphs I pulled straight from RS website).

_MK
    "No man goes before his time -- unless the boss leaves early."
    -- Marx, Groucho

No, that's not phonetic
    The main diff is the 454 gets an alu steerer and hollow crown while the 426 has a cro-mo steerer and solid crown. That's why the 454 is lighter. The other aspects of the fork are basically the same. You can get coil u-turn, air u-turn, or dual air in each model. The coil is the heaviest, the air u-turn next, and the dual air the lightest.

You will want a u-turn version no matter what. The air will be the most tunable and lighter. Get that in whatever flavor (454, 426, 409) you want depending on weight or color.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    The main diff is the 454 gets an alu steerer and hollow crown while the 426 has a cro-mo steerer and solid crown. That's why the 454 is lighter. The other aspects of the fork are basically the same. You can get coil u-turn, air u-turn, or dual air in each model. The coil is the heaviest, the air u-turn next, and the dual air the lightest.

You will want a u-turn version no matter what. The air will be the most tunable and lighter. Get that in whatever flavor (454, 426, 409) you want depending on weight or color.
    Tscheezy - Do you know if the Pike Air U-turn has just one air chamber (a la Fox) or do you have to do the balancing trick between +ve and -ve air chambers?

I think I've settled on the Air U-turn instead of a Z1SL as long as it's just one air chamber. I cant be bothered with messing about.

Cheers.
    I don't care if I'm the last to the top and the last to the bottom. Just as long as I look damn good doing it!

MK_
    carpe maņana
    Quote Originally Posted by MagnumPI
    Tscheezy - Do you know if the Pike Air U-turn has just one air chamber (a la Fox) or do you have to do the balancing trick between +ve and -ve air chambers?

I think I've settled on the Air U-turn instead of a Z1SL as long as it's just one air chamber. I cant be bothered with messing about.

Cheers.
    PIKE Air U-Turn works like the REBA Air U-Turn, I believe. On Rebas there are two chambers, and the pressures are roughtly the same for +ve and -ve, as per manual. Tuning isn't too diffucult, it should be easier than the Z1 SL, if it is anything like the previous models.

_MK
    "No man goes before his time -- unless the boss leaves early."
    -- Marx, Groucho

PSI
    I want that one

Look at the Revalation family as well

If you're not super agressive and dont need the extra 10mm of travel and extra weight than the Revalation family seems a more natural fit to the 5 Spot: 130 mm travel, QR, under 4 pounds.

No, that's not phonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by MagnumPI
    I think I've settled on the Air U-turn... as long as it's just one air chamber. I cant be bothered with messing about.
    I would not like the Pike air nearly as much if it was a single chamber. The negative chamber is what makes the fork tuneable.

Do you only adjust the air pressure in one of your two tires?
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the advice and corrections everyone. I'll check out the Revelation too, but I'm really starting to think the 454 appeals the most, even though we may not have the full range of color choices over here in Korea (on Korean shop websites the 454 only comes in grey).

anyway, if I can't get exactly what I want in the local shops then I'll just defer the purchase and get a fork for my poor little suffering Kona rigid bike instead.

jeez, I don't know how you guys can manage stables of like 5 or 6 bikes. I have enough dilemmas sharing the love between just two

By the way, I have a Push'd RP3 on the Spot now and, apart from still not feeling any difference between the settings, it's much nicer than the Romic.

Cheers,

Duncan