Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Do It Yourself

Spot cable routing...

Sorry the search function isn't working for me today.

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 8388608 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 1024 bytes) in /data/data01/web/html/files/search.php on line 878

Anyway, I routed the shift cables on my Spot in a criss cross up front (rear shifter around the headtube and into the left cable stop...) and crossing back over under the taco. The front cable seems fine but rear cable is getting crunched by the taco. Any suggestions?

I really wish there was a center stop for the brake hose too. It just looks sloppy.
    Long Live Long Rides

Amphibious Technologies
    Quote Originally Posted by Homebrew
    The front cable seems fine but rear cable is getting crunched by the taco. Any suggestions?
    Pics would help. Have you looked at the routing suggestion/pics on the Turner website?
    "The best you've ridden is the best you know" - Paul Thede, Race Tech

Do It Yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by SCUBAPRO
    Pics would help. Have you looked at the routing suggestion/pics on the Turner website?
    I hadn't noticed that on Turner's site before but that's exactly how I did it. Maybe the cable is just be a bit too long or something. I know a pic would be helpful so try to post one up this weekend. Thanks.
    Long Live Long Rides

Bite Me.
    Use the minimum amount of cable on the rear deraileur to get from cable stop to cable stop. It should be a fairly straight run with a minimum bow. That way when the suspension compresses you don't have a lot of excess cable flopping about. As for your top tube cable issues, I like these Jagwire cable guides. They stick right on and look good.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

Roy
    mtbr member
    I hadn't noticed that on Turner's site before but that's exactly how I did it. Maybe the cable is just be a bit too long or something.
    I have that same routing on my Spot and Pack. I wouldn't say the cable is getting "crunched", but I do hear it ticking as the suspension gets cycled and the cable contacts the taco.

Just Grin and HUCK it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Roy
    ...but I do hear it ticking as the suspension gets cycled and the cable contacts the taco.
    I can't stand ticking, clicking and squeaking when I'm riding so I put a piece of velcro (the softer loop side) on the front of the taco to stop the noise and to preserve the cables. It ain't real perty, but it works.
    MCM# 2007.1

3 "fiddy" for short
    I just noticed that my rear d cable is getting a cut in it from hitting the taco. So I did what any owner of a black 5 Spot would do...... I put black electrical tape on the cable.

And here I thought duct tape was the ultimate fix!?!

Do It Yourself

With pics...

Upon futher investigation, I didn't quite have the front derailleur like Turner's recommendation. So I've moved it but that still doesn't seem to fix the problem.

Thanks for the tip cutthroat. I actually had one of those in the toolbox and it worked like a champ to clean up the brake housing.

But back to the main issue here. I might be able to trim a bit more off the housing but after looking at the housing at full travel (second two pics) I don't think that will be enough. Any other ideas or is this just the way it is?
    Long Live Long Rides

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Maybe a short piece of small diameter tubing slit down the middle, and placed along the taco edge? Not sure how to make it stay in place.

I'm building an RFX as we speak, and I'm going to try 1/4" black irrigation tubing. I'll let you know if it stays in place for the first ride.
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

Turner Homer
    I would also consider routing the cable on the outside of the taco, becasue that is how I have mine on my burner.
    Dave

\|/Home of the Braves\|/
    So far so good this way. Of course I've only had it a week. But what a week it's been

Big hoopy.
    Turner Sultan / On One Inbred

\|/Home of the Braves\|/
    Congrats on reaching 1,000 posts cutthroat (shameless attempt to pad my own).
    Big hoopy.

PSI
    I want that one

me like zip ties

I think i picked this up from someone else on this forum, plus i guess i have a pretty bad zip-tie fetish. it works though.
    p.s. the psylo is temporary
    p.s.s what language on the heineken?

Roy
    mtbr member
    But back to the main issue here. I might be able to trim a bit more off the housing but after looking at the housing at full travel (second two pics) I don't think that will be enough. Any other ideas or is this just the way it is?
    I just deflated my RP3 and checked the housing at full compression - looks just like yours. My housing is holding up better but it must just be a harder plastic casing. I would just put electrical tape around your wear spot.

\|/Home of the Braves\|/
    Looks like Hebrew to me.
    Big hoopy.

Do It Yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by PSI
    I think i picked this up from someone else on this forum, plus i guess i have a pretty bad zip-tie fetish. it works though.

That's what I did for today's ride. As you can see in the second set of pics, I switched the front derailleur over to the drive side. Today, I zipped the rear derailleur housing to the front derailleur housing. Seems to working okay but it really puts a bad bend in the housing and it may be my imagination but I think I'm getting some ghost shifting at deeper travel. It's not that big of a deal but it is an annoyance.
    Long Live Long Rides

\|/Home of the Braves\|/
    ...but I think I'm getting some ghost shifting at deeper travel...
    Heck, coming off a 4" Burner I'm really impressed at what the Spot can do pedaling in its travel. There's a place on the trail I rode today where there's a sequence of :
    A left turn down a quick downhill
    About 15-20 feet of "trail armor" - what amounts to about a long flat-ish rock garden
    A 1 foot rise with a big root right at the crest

The key is to keep enough momentum to clear the root. On the Burner I focused on the garden and tried to build a little speed right at the end. It can be a chain snapper! On the Spot I can pedal across the whole thing and glide right over the root with plenty of speed. I'm in luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuv!
    Big hoopy.

... I guess you won't be
    Yes, we do indeed rock...http://www.myspace.com/spokedrunkies

\|/Home of the Braves\|/
    Schmaltz = Chicken fat

THAT is some funny shat!
    Big hoopy.

trail fairy
    I got my the boys to set my cables up though I don't like how they crissed crossed them at the front its not nessecary at the front!
    But the back end is sweet very nice
    I also used some clear plastic protection sheets I bought at a motorcycle shop Moto x stuff really good..
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

PSI
    I want that one
    Quote Originally Posted by jokermtb
    thats cool. i guess if you have hasidic reggae in brooklyn (http://www.ttgapers.com/module-ttSto...0007XT7TU.html) you might as well have hasidic beer.
    in israel the only microbrewery is here: http://www.taybehbeer.com/ not jewish but close enough.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    The short pieces of plastic tubing, slit down the middle, then "clipped" onto the taco worked well, and stayed through 4 hours of riding with no adhesive.

The black irrigation tubing didn't really work, so I tried clear tygon tubing. Perfect. It's got a little natural stickiness that seems to hold it in place.

For paint protection I decided to drop the BIG DIME on a roll of helicopter tape. Expensive, but one roll should last long enough to protect the wear spots on my walker when I'm 80!
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

Flyin Canine
    That's what I did for today's ride. As you can see in the second set of pics, I switched the front derailleur over to the drive side. Today, I zipped the rear derailleur housing to the front derailleur housing. Seems to working okay but it really puts a bad bend in the housing and it may be my imagination but I think I'm getting some ghost shifting at deeper travel. It's not that big of a deal but it is an annoyance.

Hey Homebrew, are you running a shimano rear derailluer? I switched to sram and haven't had ghost shifting since then.

Lay off the Levers
    Hey Homebrew I just noticed something... it looks like at full compression your cable ferrule is outside of the cable stop. Unless it's a really long ferrule it's shifting out of the house and that would mean it's pulling more cable thus causing ghost shifting. I have my cable in the same location, and about the same length (too short) and I don't get ghost shifting. I also used a plastic edge cover on the bottom of the taco and clear 3M protector tape on the seat tube to help keep the cable rub in check.

Faster is better, even when it's not.

Do It Yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by shanedawg
    Hey Homebrew, are you running a shimano rear derailluer? I switched to sram and haven't had ghost shifting since then.
    Yes but I'm still using 8 speed.

Quote Originally Posted by Bikezilla
    Hey Homebrew I just noticed something... it looks like at full compression your cable ferrule is outside of the cable stop. Unless it's a really long ferrule it's shifting out of the house and that would mean it's pulling more cable thus causing ghost shifting. I have my cable in the same location, and about the same length (too short) and I don't get ghost shifting. I also used a plastic edge cover on the bottom of the taco and clear 3M protector tape on the seat tube to help keep the cable rub in check.
    It's not out of the cable stop. These are the Jagwire/Avid machined ferrules for 5+mm housing. The ferrule has a wider portion that the housing goes into (as seen in the pic) and another smaller portion that goes into the stop.
    Long Live Long Rides

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast