mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Spot build for a girl...

Hi all,
    I'm about to go ahead with my much dreamed about spot purchase.

Without wanting to harp on or repeat other threads....

I am a 1.78m (5'10" and a wee bit) chick, currently on a med specy epic. I love the bike, but want something a little more forgiving as my riding style has changed since I bought the epic. I am not super aggressive or anything, but like the idea of some more travel that comes with the spot. I test rode a medium with a ~90m stem and it felt good, but on reading other posts I do question it a little. But I figure as a chick my legs are longer, torso shorter, and a large may be a little long?
    I also see lots of you building up your spots with 150 or 160mm forks. I was planning on putting on a 140mm Float RLC or a marzocchi 44 as thought that was all I would need, and am keen on a reasonably light build (love climbing too)...

Any ideas/suggestions? Esp from other female spot riders out there?

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by ewaz; 04-01-2010 at 02:59 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    You're solidly in the "in between" category and I think you could be happy on either size depending on your personal preference and usage. Your Epic has essentially the same toptube dimension as the Med Spot, so it will be similar although the geo is totally different. If you can live with a lot of seatpost exposed and 15-20mm of stem spacers a Med will work. If you'd like to try a shorter stem a large is the way to go.

I'm your same height (male) with a 33" inseam (measured, not my pants size) & ride a Med with a 90mm stem. It fits me fine & is very comfortable, but I'm sure I'd be just as happy on a large with a shorter stem. There seems to be about a 70/30 split of riders between Med/large. Send a note to Turner directly and get their advice too (they might chime in). You may also find this sizing guide helpful, but the results will be "in between". http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za...LCULATOR_INTRO

BTW- go with a 150 fork.
    Last edited by pdlhrd; 04-01-2010 at 05:52 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ewaz
    Hi all,
    I'm about to go ahead with my much dreamed about spot purchase.

Without wanting to harp on or repeat other threads....

I am a 1.78m (5'10" and a wee bit) chick, currently on a med specy epic. I love the bike, but want something a little more forgiving as my riding style has changed since I bought the epic. I am not super aggressive or anything, but like the idea of some more travel that comes with the spot. I test rode a medium with a ~90m stem and it felt good, but on reading other posts I do question it a little. But I figure as a chick my legs are longer, torso shorter, and a large may be a little long?
    I also see lots of you building up your spots with 150 or 160mm forks. I was planning on putting on a 140mm Float RLC or a marzocchi 44 as thought that was all I would need, and am keen on a reasonably light build (love climbing too)...

Any ideas/suggestions? Esp from other female spot riders out there?

Thanks in advance!
    My wife is your height & on a medium. She runs a Revelation 150 Team Air U-turn, PUSH'ed RP23 rear shock. Loves her bike. Her riding style is leaned towards DH, as she raced DH for many years, yet she loves to climb as well. Why not go with a longer fork with a u-turn? That way you have the option. The Rev is right around 4 lbs, so it's a lightweight.

Good luck!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I think you will fit best on a medium. I'm 6" and rode larges in Flux/Spot and now a large Sultan. My buddy who is 5'10 rides a medium Spot and found my large Spot a bit too big/long.

trail fairy
    Well having tested a large and being a little bit taller and maybe different dimensions! I'd suggest try both if poss!

This can also be a bit subjective however and imo people are well out of date on bike geo especially when going from XC rigs to more trail rigs and up!

What you're used to isn't necessarily right and can be misleading, especially when comparing a rig like the Epic or more XC geo type rigs, its not apples for apples comparison to a more trail orientated bike like the Spot and it's capabilities.

Forgetting the travel and the suspension differences travel range, more importantly is the geo changes!

When you go up in travel, measurements of less travel XC setups are only a guide at best. remember the seat angles and headtube angles vs TT and Front & Center etc are quite different.

It would be good if the new std for measurments was also compared online bike sites to help people from the old std to new too.

If you look at the modern geo, a longer TT and shorter stem especially in Trail/AM bikes is the now and the future, look at the Spot data base and you will see many who are on mediums and smaller with overly too long stems, high seat posts and spacers for extra stack height.

Heatubes on the DWL Spots are also longer than normal due to DT seeing many in the past running a number of spacers under there stems to match seat heights etc, again cab be misleading info if people are riding to small a frame to begin with, also common criticism by many tests that dwl Turners have too long a headtube and becomes even more amplified if running a long travel fork over 140mm, beocmes less of an issue the larger the frame though matches wheelbase better, so lots to mess up by looking at picc's alone, though it'd be nice to be able to run a inset style of headset in future! So you could adj head angle either way, for a slacker ride or steeper ride depending on ride you want or fork you add.

For a trail bike like this its limiting your's and the bikes potential if you run a similar setup to your Epic , youre not going to run the same fork to start with, so why for ex would you run the same lenght stem for example!

The whole reason you're interested in a Spot is to advance and enjoy with more comfort the ride and ability the dwl Spot will offer and it will , forget efficiency as the dwl Spot is very efficient and you can get the weight and build well within your requirements to benefit over the Epic or any other trail bike for that matter.

Saying a large is better over a medium from me is too simplistic and misleading however, you need to really check this out and be prepared to advance you're setup, if you really want the Spot to be what you really want it to be, otherwise ya just riding a longer version of you're current setup and will be disappointed in the minimal difference's.
    Also with flatter wider bars evn for yourself this has also altered the geo game alot.

A longer TT shorter stem combo will also provide a longer wheelbase ideally no stack adding via spacers, better handling to match the angles of the seatube head tube and then the travel, the tire sizes etc that all match the Spots ability.

There is no issue running the fork you suggest and for a chick I think that's smart, maybe ya could look at an air Revelation 120-150mm adj ver as well it will be as light and stiffer with more options as you grow into the bike possibly, 160mm would be just OTT at this point.

Look at 70mm stem max imo if ya going over that on this bike ya really missing out and should be looking more at a Flux, jmo, but no reason why you can;t have a ripping 5Spot well within the weight range of ya Epic with more versatility and almost as good in the efficiency department all round especially.

Lastly Ive had a medium 5Spot and RFX and the large dwl Spot was probably the best fitting Turner Ive ridden to date, and that had a little longer stem than I like, that said I'm long in the arms and wide in the shoulders and long in the torso, legs are medium doh lol. hence why I say if ya can fit or demo both and change stems around to get a feel if ya do you will immediately see what I mean by riding a shorter stem and slightly longer TT, it will be much better on a trail bike and you lose nothing in climbing, but gain on flats and downs esp.

Good luck, hope ya can try out ya options its really worth it on this rig imo.

Even in Dh now many who used to go much smaller due to supposedly BMX style's now run a longer TT.s now
    Last edited by trailadvent; 04-01-2010 at 06:42 PM.
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Thanks for all the replies guys. It's always good to hear some other opinions. It doesn't necessarily make decisions any easier, but I think I probably can't go too wrong however I go. I realise that it's a completely different kettle of fish to my epic, and that can make sizing difficult. I just felt like I fitted into a slightly different group to a lot of the spots I saw on here, wanting something a bit lighter as I'm definitly not a burly downhilling dude.
    Now it's just colour choice...... another tricky one!!

trail fairy
    ewaz sounds like ya got some cool choices to decide on

Color is very important

I def think you're able to get what you want re weight with the Spot it always comes down to budget re weight regardless of frame choice.

But Wheels you can save most of the weight, fork can depend on benefits for and against what the fork offers you, weight at the front is not as negligible as weight at the rear or higher up,, e.g weight at the rim has more affect than at the hub, fork won't make much if a diff between 150mm and 140mm.

My experience and theory on sizing and stem seat relationship is if you take into account the anti squat nature of dwl, which your epic sort of does a similar thing, measure your front and centers of the new frame vs your old, forgetting about stems for a moment.

Measure from BB to vertical to the imaginary horizontal line that intersects with this horizontal line measuring from the center of the Headtube to the seatube, these too insections should be at righ angles and give you and Front to center TT measurement and a TT to BB [bottom bracket measurement]

Then take into account the differing angles of seat tube and head angle [HA] compared to the Epic, note your HA will be affected somewhat by which your fork ya choose, if 150mm over the 140mm it will slacken slightly and raise bb slightly not much but enough, so shorter stem to match. maybe shorten by 10mm take into account.

If you do fit the longer TT based on a shorter stem and front and center measurements, you will lose nothing in climbing be more centered on/in the bike and have less if at all pitching in up and downs, better cornering etc due to no stack adj which is best and proper seat post extension!

Anyways when shes done show some picc's and tell us the new Spots name, chicks always name things so no doubt ya will have one

Something like DT4.2s or Stans Olympics would be more than strong enough rim for you if not jumping a hand built wheel will be stronger, some great wheel builders via this place.

Good luck, enjoy..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

gnuH
    I would talk to Fo for advice on building up girls bikes.

ps. I'm 5'10" and a large fits me great.
    A green bird with a red body. We could look it up in a book. Or we could look up

trail fairy
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwirider
    I would talk to Fo for advice on building up girls bikes.

ps. I'm 5'10" and a large fits me great.
    Ohh harsh of FO

geometry ::. { Listed geometry based on a 525mm axle to crown fork with a 26"x2.3" tire, acceptable fork travel range: 130-160mm }
    xssmmdlgxl2xlall
    a: virtual tt21.522.523.023.624.225.1g: head angle68.6
    b: seat tube131517192123h: seat angle72.6
    c: head tube3.53.94.55.35.96.6i: chainstay16.9
    d: stack22.122.523.123.824.425.1j: bb height13.7
    e: reach14.415.315.616.016.417.1bb shell73mm
    f: standover28.428.930.231.032.033.0seat post30.9mm
    frame weight6.56.76.87.07.17.3head tube1.125
    rec'd rider size4'11-5'25'3-5'65'7-5'105'11-6'16'2-6'46'5 +

The diff between the reach is .4"

Note for every 1" its 25.4mm so .6" = 15.23mm

So you have quite alot of leway with stem length when going to a large for instance!

I was 180cm but now I have been shrunk using the TA method I'm more proably like 178cm alas.

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

BBW
    mtbr member
    ewas, I'm 178cm and ride a medium. I bought a large first and the handling was bad for my style; sold it and got a medium... I have a 70mm stem but ride with 28' bars.
    In order to discuss any further about color choice, fork and wheel we need to see a picture of you; front, side and back

You will enjoy that bike; it climbs SOOOO good

mtbr member
    Medium. I'm an inch taller than you, purchased a large Sultan on Turner's advice (against my better judgement). I didn't get along well with the large at all, and I now have a medium. I'm SUPER happy on the medium.

mtbr member

More options?

While not a 5 Spot, I am on a large Fux with a 90mm stem. Was just as comfortably on a med with a 110 stem but felt the large left more options as far as fit. I to am just a smidgen over 5'-10". Could not be any happier with the large as I felt the quicker steering was a plus.

trail fairy
    See what I mean ya get wacked out comparisons, not even relevant or apples for apples.

Puddle Duck the Sultan has nothing in common with the 5Spot Geo, I just don''t get where you guys are coming from, ya sizes maybe right for you.But the amount of 5spot threads I been seeing lately where its clear that many are on too small a size frame is obvious and extreme!

As said there's some significant benefits that people are "not" taking advantage of with the dwl Turner frame versions.

I just hope ewaz has a decent LBS and one who is prepared and knows what the hell they are doing with regards to setup to give her a feel for the right frame and adj correctly v frame size and stem length hand seat bar relationship.Caused based on the wack suggestions here its a lottery geometry ::.

Sultan compare above no way is that a comparison even if ya do end up on medium for medium its based on same criteria but will be different in setup I'm not saying a med or Large is right , too simplistic, but to work off reach and stack and factor in adj based on that for stem length frame size not based on Eff TT and the stem length ya run on a totally, for start most men and women have totally different reach and leg lengths, height alone means squat!

Different GEO of another frame, that can only be a giude at best and usually a bad one urghh..LOL,,

Ruddy heck whats up with IE 8 I'm having no end of issues lately and FF,is not much better and I'm not the only one slow loading and script fudging is driving me crazy urghh darn it!
    Last edited by trailadvent; 04-03-2010 at 12:41 AM.

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Wiked guys, loving the responses. I think I'm tempted to stick with a medium because it was the one I rode and it felt good, I like a smaller feeling bike, and I also think that although my height is 178, my torso for sure is shorter than a dude my height. However it's a tricky one and I'll have to try get hold of a large to double check etc... it's just too hard to see these things on a forum

I'm planning on putting on my wheels from my epic, I have some 717s built up with hope pro 2s that I really love, lightweight and fine for me (to be honest it's still pretty exciting when my wheels leave the ground...)

Fork wise though, I'm still leaning towards the 140mm that I originally planned. I am familiar with the Float RLC 15QR but not so much with the Marzocchi 44s. Which one is the best for 140mm travel with a 15QR? And does anyone have experience with a 2010 one? I've heard mixed things...?
    Last edited by ewaz; 04-03-2010 at 03:38 AM.

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by PuddleDuck
    Medium. I'm an inch taller than you, purchased a large Sultan on Turner's advice (against my better judgement). I didn't get along well with the large at all, and I now have a medium. I'm SUPER happy on the medium.
    Really? I'm 5'10" and on all of the mediums I've owned (5), I've had to run 400mm posts extended to about their limit and long (> 105mm) stems to even come close to fitting. I can run with less post showing and an 80mm stem on the large.

trail fairy
    2Turners has pointed out exactly what I was trying to say!

ewaz ya may b right

But here's a guide, if you find while demo-ing or when being fitted if they suggest 80mm or more stem!
    80mm stem max for trail, unless racing!

Anything over a small spacer between stem and headset!

Extended seatpost which is pretty easy to get on the DWL Spot due to its very low seatmast/stand over.

On the large the seat mast is quite high above the taco it makes it look like not much post is extended but the height position to bars is more relevant!

If these are all factors when fitting on a med then take a look at the large! Set it up with a shorter stem to match ya reach on the Epic, not the medium Spot.

As said it's point 4" [inches] diff in reach! between med and large.
    Large has the longer headtube, wheelbase for stability another key over looked when you end up on a too small a frame, especially relevant when ya seat post is too high, setback and back on the rails with a long stem, you will get a very pitchy ride at best on a 5" plus rig! Which you may not get on a 4" or less rig!

But large will work better with a shorter stem no stack and correct post to bar height relationship, long stem on a short Spot is not a good setup especially since ya coming off an epic even if ya run a long stem on than bike currently it maybe a medium but the Epic does have a longer TT and the HA and SA is steeper so much longer than a medium Spot.

It sounds like I'm pushing a large I'm not its about getting the correct frame size when going up in travel and I see this too much, youre more likely to make the wrong decision by being safe on what you know, not what is correct.

140mm 15QR Fox is probably best for all round support and mods etc as much as I hate to say it or a Rev 140mm I think Sram has better damping but f ya unsure go Fox, and wheels sound sweet..15mm QR will be nice upgrade too.

Anyways Ive hammered it enough, just hate seeing people spend good money on the wrong size's. This is a science, enjoy the process, I vote baby blue aqua or pink with a black rear triangle on color by the way

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

mtbr member
    This is a very timely point 2TNE. The 07 TNT Sultan has a 24.5TT, adn to make it fit I was using a 60-70mm stem. THe combo of all factors (sort stem, long WB, long TT, 06 Reba offset gave me a phenonomally stable bike, but one that had bad wheel flop, and poor front end grip.

Going to a Med TNT with a 08 Reba was a much better experience. TTo be fair I should try the new Reba on the Large to see what difference it makes.

Can someone explain to me why the short stem & wide bar combo works, and how it provides enough weight on the front end to give good cornering traction on flat terrain without having to overly weight the front end

The TT lenght is very timely becuase few of the current 29er options have 23.5 or 23.75 TT's - they all have 24 or in th case of Turner 24.25.

Sory for the thread jack!!

FYI, on my Med I'm running a 410 post and a 110 stem (with the Reba at 120mm)

Quote Originally Posted by 2TurnersNotEnough
    Really? I'm 5'10" and on all of the mediums I've owned (5), I've had to run 400mm posts extended to about their limit and long (> 105mm) stems to even come close to fitting. I can run with less post showing and an 80mm stem on the large.

EDIT: Have just read TA's response. I see a reason for the shorter stem and longer WB on longer travel bikes - pitching. I demo'd a DW spot a few months ago, and whilst the overall capability and to an extent 'feel' seemed the same as my 100mm Sultan, the DW was much more squishy, and it did pitch quite a bit. It was a large, thought he suspension wasn't fully dialled in for me. Thanks for the insights TA - keep 'em coming!
    Last edited by PuddleDuck; 04-03-2010 at 05:03 PM.

trail fairy
    Ahh yes PD good to see the short stem thing imo works best on the trail bike up, not ness a XC rig, like ewaz epic it can be done but won;t suit most people.

For the 5" Trail bike above and modern suspension platforms like DWL etc it works well imo and the wide bar is also best if ya also got the god given tools like wide shoulders too wide for a narrow person and it wil most likely not work but still wider than XC atleat 700mm but 750 will be too much unless ya like me with broad shoulders, still got to work within ya attributes!

But I still think the DWL Spot is also a little unique within the newer sizing in large, it also is to do with the angles HA and SA which people seem to forget about when they go up in travel and this will accentuate the good or bad if you duplicate ya XC rig stems and seatpost heights on the trail AM bike Which si why the Sultan is not a good comparions less travel lower A2C angles etc etc ya have to set them up differently to get a simialr ride not he other way around lol.

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs