Thread: Spot bar advise

\|/Home of the Braves\|/

Spot bar advise

I took my new Spot out today and had a great time. I am still waffling some on the bar though. I am on an XL (6" HT) and I did have some spacers but I think it still feels a little high in the front plus a little too far in front - even if I take some spacers out. The dilema is this:
    I was mis-shipped a Thompson Elite 110x5x25.4 rather than an X4 110x0x31.8. The bar is an FSA aluminum 660mm wide with 40mm rise. I can swap the stem and drop it some plus order it in 100 rather than 110 to bring it back some. I thought the 660 was a little wide but obviously I can cut it. Sooooo...
    Should I get the stem and bar oversized and is carbon with the extra cash? Honestly I still have some distrust of carbon bars vs. aluminum. I also have a future concern that it'll be tough to buy wider bars in 25.4 size.

Thanks for the input,
    RR
    Big hoopy.
    Turner Sultan / On One Inbred

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    let me start from the end. carbon these days is pretty damn reliable. even i, the carbon bar hater, use a easton cnt on my 5" rfxc and i dig it. yeah, id say its worth it. shaves some grams up top for better handeling and soaks up some of the vibration for more comfort on nastyer stuff.

as far as bar choice, id say go visit yer local shop, ask him to bust out the qbp consumer catolog or somethin like it and start comparing rise, sweep and length to find what suits you best. if the fsa isnt cuttin it, im sure theres somethin out there that will. it just a matter of findin it.

if ya dont already have some odi lock on grips, consider them. one cool bonus is their ability to move in and out on the bar to find the correct width. the other bonus is they kick ass in every other catagory except weight. lots of surfaces, diamiters and densities to chose from. hope this helped some.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Just another FOC'er
    I'm 5'11" on a large Spot. I run a 50 mm stem and an Easton EC70 carbon DH bar that has approx a 28" width and I wouldn't change a thing. For handling I like the wider bars and shorter stems, and I've found that once I got used to this setup I climb better than ever with less back pain. I was also initially worried about the whole carbon thing, but I've never had a problem with it.

No carbon for my DH bike though!

\|/Home of the Braves\|/
    Thanks guys.
    I wouldn't say the bar itself isn't cutting it. Wider bars may take some getting used to on my part as well. I've been riding some bars that I'd cut down to 24" (from the NRS a couple years ago). At this point I can't see going to wider DH bars, I am actually thinking of dropping to 630 or 645 width. And the stem is definitely coming in some Danno, but probably not that much.

CC, I did pick up some Rogue lockons. They are pretty nice. Certainly getting them on and off is cake and they feel pretty good too. Weight isn't a big deal, I am still shocked that the Burner was only abt .6 pounds lighter than the Spot. The parts are the same except the bars, stem (still a Thompson though), bashguard instead of big ring, and the DHX-a vs a Swinger.
    Big hoopy.

\|/Home of the Braves\|/
    Oops, forgot.
    Oversized stem/bars - the way of the future or just hype?
    Big hoopy.

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    os is cool, a tad stiffer, sometimes heavyer, usually more expensive, can make mounting extras a pain and only on one of my bikes so i guess im not totally sold yet. most major players are goin this route so we may not have a choice for long. therefore it may be both.
    No, I'm NOT back!

\|/Home of the Braves\|/
    That's pretty much in line with what I was thinking. I'll probably get on the bandwagon just because I don't want to shell out the cash for a nice stem and not be able to put the bar I want on in the future. Or I may just keep the 25.4 because I'd doubt they'll go away since there's so many out there. Or I may...

I'll agree again on the ODI's. I was finally talked into them by some friends and have since had them on and off a couple times due to my frame situation. That alone has made it worthwhile. Did I mention that I could never get my old Yeti grips to stop moving around?
    Big hoopy.