mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Spot and 4 inch forks...

Evening all...

Right, for some reason, I think alcohol may have had something to do with it, I signed up to do a long distance charity ride in a few months, approx 100 miles in a day, all offroad with about 10,000ft of climbing involved, and rather than take my nice lightish hardtail I thought I would slim down my Spot a little for the occasion as I think the squish at the back might make things a little more comfy...

Anyway, amongst other things, so I thought of stripping off the '04 Z1 FR's and putting on the MX Comp ETA's that I have on my hardtail... but then with them only being 105mm, I was thinking they might not handle too well.

So thought about asking here to see what folks thoughts are on it. Would it be okay? Or would it just be silly?

Cheers,

Nick

Gravity Rides Everything
    it'll feel different. the front end (and resultant bar height) will be lower too. twitchier steering.

make sure you ride it a bit before the ride.

Neg reppers r my biatches
    Jan 2004
    i would take the hardtail....that is a decent amount of climbing but that is me.....

Not just famous; infamous

Marz Marathon 120

Don't know about a 100mm fork. The problem is that the Spot already has a steep seat tube. If you reduce the A/C height by 20-30mm, you're gonna end up with a 74.5? (or steeper ) seat angle. I doubt the bike will handle very well, since your weight's going to feel very far forward.

There was somebody a while ago riding a Spot with a 120mm Marathon on it and they seemed to like it. Since you seem partial to Zokes and since the A/C height is closer to what the Spot's intended for, the SL may be the way to go for you.

Of course, if you were going to buy a new fork, a TALAS would give you the option of riding whatever travel you wanted without being locked into one length.

But hey, if you want to try the MX, go for it. Variety's the spice of life.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Well, I did think about taking the hardtail, but 100 miles on that is gonna leave me feeling being very beaten up... but it is an option still...

Anyway, was trying to get away without buying any new forks, as I really can't afford it, and just looking for the best way to lose some weight on the Spot... which was why I thought about changing the forks as the Z1's are a bit of a beast...

Yeah, the head angle will increase, and make the handling twitchier, but then am used to that sort of thing with the hardtails I ride... but I hadn't thought about the seat angle... hmmmm... would moving the seat further back on the rails, or even getting a lay-back post sort that out though?

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Go for it

A couple years back I changed my forks, whilst waiting for the new forks to arrive, I put my old Z1 Bam forks on the spot to keep me riding. These are 100mm forks. I was really impressed with the ride to be honest, I found it quick, responsive and in no way 'twitchy'. I would put the Maz forks you have on the Spot take it for a burn and see what it feels like, an internet forum can do lots of things, but bit can't tell you how youwill like the ride!

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    got any ridgid forks layin around? gotta be worth 2 more lbs at least. hehe.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Hehehe... only 420mm rigids I'm afraid... although it could be fun trying them...

And didn't I see someone mention about an alu bar to replace the rear shock as well?

;o)

Neg reppers r my biatches
    Jan 2004
    good catch.....and some slicks would be nice to lower the rolling resistance

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Don't tell me... next you'll be wanting me to singlespeed it as well!!!!

Or how about fixed?

;o)

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

its all about the A2C

if your 105has a long A2C, which marz is famous for, you should be ok. 501mm = 69 degree. Anything less or more will change that and it will ride different than intended. For that long of a ride I would think that even a 68degree might be more comfy. My .002 only.