Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Spot: 36 TALAS RC2 & 32 TALAS RLC/15mm QR Review

I have been running the new 32 TALAS RLC with the 15 mm QR on my Spot for several weeks and I have been very happy with the performance of the fork. It is noticeably stiffer than the TALAS 32 with the traditional QR. I am 210 lbs with gear so I am always looking for increased lateral and torsonial stiffness. Given the recent threads on riders running TALAS 36 on their Spots I had to give it a try. I pulled my 36 TALAS from my RFX and replaced it with the 32 TALAS on my Spot.

The Spot with the 36 was stiffer than the 32 but is was not as dramatic as I thought. The 15 mm QR is very stiff, it stiffer than I thought it would be. I had the 36 at 130 mm travel setting. It had a nice balanced feel. However, when I hit the trail I was not that impressed. The Spot/36 did not climb as well as the Spot/32. The difference was quite dramatic. I had to work much harder on the climbs with the Spot/36 than I did on the Spot 32.The front did not hook up as well as the Spot/32. Overall handling of the Spot/36 was not as crisp as compared to the Spot/32. The Spot/36 did not have the nice balanced feel as compared to the Spot/32. Over rock gardens the 36 and RP23 did not compliment each other as well as the 32 and RP23. On the descents the Spot/36 felt nice but I was not overwhelmed by its performance. As mentioned, the 36 is stiffer - stating the obvious. But the additional stiffness does not outweigh the overall lack of performance of the 36 compared to the 32 on the Spot. The new TALAS 32 15 mm QR really matches up nicely with the Spot. Based on some of the feedback on the Spot/36 set up, I was hopeful it would be a great set up for the terrrain I ride. However, the 32/15 mm QR, seems to strike the perfect balance of performance and stiffness.

banned
    Now what would one think about Rock Shox Maxle/Maxle Lite offerings in their longer travel trail forks?

This is starting to sound like the Formula brake thing. Same thing has been around and done right for many years, but just do it a bit different and the biking public will declare it the greatest new invention of the decade.

T , V , & K Rider
    Nov 2004
    Curious......15mm TA hubs are available from who ( what make ) right now ? TIG.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TIGMAN
    Curious......15mm TA hubs are available from who right now ? TIG.
    Hope has the 15 mm adaptors for the Hope Pro 2 hubs. I called Hope directly to order them.

T , V , & K Rider
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by JTBAZ
    Hope has the 15 mm adaptors for the Hope Pro 2 hubs. I called Hope directly to order them.

Thanks........it will be interesting to see how long it takes CK , I9 , maybe even Hadley to offer 15mm TA hubs ! A while back I thought I heard Shimano was already planning on producing them.........good for Hope to come thru ! TIG.

%$#$*!
    Thanks for the review. What year is your 36? I've read that earlier 36 talas dampers were not as good as 08's.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by beefmagic
    Thanks for the review. What year is your 36? I've read that earlier 36 talas dampers were not as good as 08's.
    The TALAS 36 is an 08. It matches it real nice with my RFX with the RP23 shock. I had an 07 TALAS 36. For me, I have not noticed a significant difference in the ride quality between the 07 and 08.

banned
    "TALAS" is not a damper. As per what the acronym stands for, it's an air spring.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TIGMAN
    Thanks........it will be interesting to see how long it takes CK , I9 , maybe even Hadley to offer 15mm TA hubs ! A while back I thought I heard Shimano was already planning on producing them.........good for Hope to come thru ! TIG.
    Shimano teamed with Fox in designing the 15 mm TA. Supposedly the Shimano hubs are available but I have not seen them yet. CK and DT Swiss have designed hubs for the 15 mm TA, but I am not sure when they will be released.

mtbr member
    The Spot/36 did not climb as well as the Spot/32. The difference was quite dramatic. I had to work much harder on the climbs with the Spot/36 than I did on the Spot 32.The front did not hook up as well as the Spot/32. Overall handling of the Spot/36 was not as crisp as compared to the Spot/32. The Spot/36 did not have the nice balanced feel as compared to the Spot/32. Over rock gardens the 36 and RP23 did not compliment each other as well as the 32 and RP23. On the descents the Spot/36 felt nice but I was not overwhelmed by its performance.
    Just off the top of my head, I can think of a few obvious difference between the two forks: 1 lb weight advantage to 32; 10 mm less travel on the 36 @ 130 compared to 32 @ 140; and < 0.5 degree slacker head angle with the 36 (assuming 510 a-to-c for the 32 and 548-->518 of the 36 @ 130). The Fox website says the 32 damper is an open bath, while the 36 has the FIT cartridge, but I don't know what the difference is there.

Did the damping feel different between the two forks (assuming you had them set up similarly)? Did you ride the 36 @ 160 at all? And what year is your Spot frame?

Nice review.

%$#$*!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    "TALAS" is not a damper. As per what the acronym stands for, it's an air spring.
    yes, I know, 'travel adjust linear air spring' or something like that. I should have probably worded it a little clearer.

trail fairy
    I have been running the new 32 TALAS RLC with the 15 mm QR on my Spot for several weeks and I have been very happy with the performance of the fork. It is noticeably stiffer than the TALAS 32 with the traditional QR. I am 210 lbs with gear so I am always looking for increased lateral and torsonial stiffness. Given the recent threads on riders running TALAS 36 on their Spots I had to give it a try. I pulled my 36 TALAS from my RFX and replaced it with the 32 TALAS on my Spot.

The Spot with the 36 was stiffer than the 32 but is was not as dramatic as I thought. The 15 mm QR is very stiff, it stiffer than I thought it would be. I had the 36 at 130 mm travel setting. It had a nice balanced feel. However, when I hit the trail I was not that impressed. The Spot/36 did not climb as well as the Spot/32. The difference was quite dramatic. I had to work much harder on the climbs with the Spot/36 than I did on the Spot 32.The front did not hook up as well as the Spot/32. Overall handling of the Spot/36 was not as crisp as compared to the Spot/32. The Spot/36 did not have the nice balanced feel as compared to the Spot/32. Over rock gardens the 36 and RP23 did not compliment each other as well as the 32 and RP23. On the descents the Spot/36 felt nice but I was not overwhelmed by its performance. As mentioned, the 36 is stiffer - stating the obvious. But the additional stiffness does not outweigh the overall lack of performance of the 36 compared to the 32 on the Spot. The new TALAS 32 15 mm QR really matches up nicely with the Spot. Based on some of the feedback on the Spot/36 set up, I was hopeful it would be a great set up for the terrrain I ride. However, the 32/15 mm QR, seems to strike the perfect balance of performance and stiffness.
    Nice report, but Im lost at this point though, those running 36s on there Spots whether I agree or not are looking for a slacker harder core riding Spot maybe that slopestyle mini dh feel and using the slight weight and less travel for a snappier ride compared to the RFX as the benefits that I can see, not a XC/trail setup, the 36 is not a trail fork its AM/light FR, there's a weight penalty and A2C diffference as others have said, the F32 is a trail fork, QR or 15mm TA is still imo a XC standard!

Now try a 20mm RS Pike 454 and report back that would be very interesting if totally unbiased!

I still think the industry did not need another hub/fork standard and its another attempt to make inroads into an area Fox and Shimano have lost allot of ground in! Shimano don't stack up in the 20mm world, they still might rule in QR due to OEM and lack of consumer knowledge! Fox missed out big time in the 130 -140mm area as did most of the others!

Most ride what they buy, and trust the mechanic who services there bike, usually and Ive seen it lots swap the same part for like part! Due to cost budget, ignorance lack of knowledge, we are not the norm mtb world in here as much as we think we are LOL!

I'm just waiting for Fox to release it's 15mm ta 29er fork its got to be next

Just one other point for those with more than one bike, I had 4 bikes with 20mm front TA's [now only 3 and lucky to have those still] I could use any of the four front wheels on any bike, for any situation, out of the four wheelsets, I could can still use 3 for any rear combo, if you did say have 15mm ta for one bike and 20mm for another ya just reduced your options

Silly, stupid standard, stupid industry, marketing at is worst, it brings nothing to the table, OMO and apologies jbatz Im not trying to slam you but this sort of stuff gets up my nose as ya can tell

Sram maxle light is the intelligent option and they thought of the riders and consumers, well done Sram, another reason I continue to support there products 2 of my 3 forks are RS and Ive had no issues with either, might be time for some serivce time while Im off the bike though, esspecially the Pike its 2plus years on from new and no work done!

15ta jmo!
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Now try a 20mm RS Pike 454 and report back that would be very interesting if totally unbiased!

I actually had a 20 mm RS Pike 454 for the Spot. I did not feel a noticeable difference between the Pike and the TALAS 15 as far as stiffness. I prefered the way the TALAS performed compared to the Pike. It seemed to hook up better in the rough rocky terrain. The TALAS is also lighter. Accordingly, I sold the Pike.

Silly, stupid standard, stupid industry, marketing at is worst, it brings nothing to the table, OMO and apologies jbatz Im not trying to slam you but this sort of stuff gets up my nose as ya can tell

I hear you - I am not creating the standards, I am just a consumer reporting feedback on a new standard.

I am also frustrated with the different standards. What about brakes? It is frustrating setting up brakes when you have to consider rotors, adapters, post mount and international standards and making sure everything is compatible. I

trail fairy

I actually had a 20 mm RS Pike 454 for the Spot. I did not feel a noticeable difference between the Pike and the TALAS 15 as far as stiffness. I prefered the way the TALAS performed compared to the Pike. It seemed to hook up better in the rough rocky terrain. The TALAS is also lighter. Accordingly, I sold the Pike.
    Ya Im not suprised to hear that ya would need to dam good to feel that difference, I ma suprised ya like the Talas over the PIKE but again its a personal thing, where not all the same and thats good, Im glad the Talas is working for ya, I prefer the RS damping in Air forks, so again it probably depends on how ya want your ride, I think theyve made it even harder now for people though! be interesting to see how this plays out over time, I remember when everyone was touting 24mm, I wonder how many of those King sell

I hear you - I am not creating the standards, I am just a consumer reporting feedback on a new standard.

I am also frustrated with the different standards. What about brakes? It is frustrating setting up brakes when you have to consider rotors, adapters, post mount and international standards and making sure everything is compatible.
    yeah I totally agree with ya brakes are one of the worst, atleast now most forks seem to have settled on Post Mount and this has helped, but I too have **** loads of adaptors many I have no idea what theyre for anymore.
    Dam pain as some of my forks are IS some PM

I
    Still good to get feed back JT as I'm sure there are many interested in that setup, but they should seriously consider the future setups when going for it could be costly! ya got I9 fo example that can do multiple hub changes from QR to 20mm now in between we have 15mm!

I think it could go both ways many sales lost and some painful lessons, still some will be happy with it

RS dual air/uturn air
    2281g (5.0 lbs),2023g (4.5 lbs),2113g (4.7 lbs)

Fox 140mm 15mm hub 4.13lbs

Yup def a weight diff you weight weanie's LOL, know some of you its important, will be interesting to see RS 09 line, with the reba etc going 20mm, I'd sit on the fence a bit, for me I have no reasons to upgrade my Pike it works great, I would like to push it one day maybe, but will figure that out when the time comes, they don't do INT!..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by hardboiled
    Just off the top of my head, I can think of a few obvious difference between the two forks: 1 lb weight advantage to 32; 10 mm less travel on the 36 @ 130 compared to 32 @ 140; and < 0.5 degree slacker head angle with the 36 (assuming 510 a-to-c for the 32 and 548-->518 of the 36 @ 130). The Fox website says the 32 damper is an open bath, while the 36 has the FIT cartridge, but I don't know what the difference is there.

Did the damping feel different between the two forks (assuming you had them set up similarly)? Did you ride the 36 @ 160 at all? And what year is your Spot frame?

Nice review.
    I definitely noticed the weight. A pound did make a difference for me. I stuggled more with the 36 on climbs - the bike seemed very sluggish. I don't think the weight was the only reason but it was definitely a factor. I actually had the 32 back on the bike today and I did the same ride and the climbing was much easier. The damping was also different, but this could be partly attirbuted to set up. The 36 felt a little harsher in the rock gardens compared to the 32, it was even more dramatic on rocky climbs. But again this may be attributed to set up. I did try the 36 in the 160 mode on descents and it felt good on the descents - a little more stable than the 32 - not surprising.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006

Thanks

JTBAZ - Thank you very much for this review. I've been mulling this 36 vs 32 QR 15 for over a wk and even had typed up a PM that was asking you your opinion that I didn't send. I had a Talas 36 on my Spot before it got stolen and agree w/ you that the bike felt just a little heavy up front and for the riding I do (the same as you do - I'm also in Phx) that the 36 was stiff as hell but more than I needed. I ordered a 32 today but I am going to the 150. To me it is the best of both worlds especially at 150 mm. I can't wait for King to come out w/ the QR15 so I'm going w/ the Pro II that is supposed to be in nxt wk Monday.

Thanks Again

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LOJORISON
    JTBAZ - Thank you very much for this review. I've been mulling this 36 vs 32 QR 15 for over a wk and even had typed up a PM that was asking you your opinion that I didn't send. I had a Talas 36 on my Spot before it got stolen and agree w/ you that the bike felt just a little heavy up front and for the riding I do (the same as you do - I'm also in Phx) that the 36 was stiff as hell but more than I needed. I ordered a 32 today but I am going to the 150. To me it is the best of both worlds especially at 150 mm. I can't wait for King to come out w/ the QR15 so I'm going w/ the Pro II that is supposed to be in nxt wk Monday.

Thanks Again

LOJORISON, Are you going with the Spot again, any word on the one that was stolen? I am considering whether to go with the 36 or the 32 for my replacement bike since I have Hope hubs that I can easily convert.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    AZMTBR - Ya I loved the Spot. I considered going w/ a Sultan but I just don't have any problems w/ 26" and haven't riden a 29er yet. My deal is to buy a bike and ride it for 6 or so years and I didn't want to risk it... No word on the bike. I've just about given up on both. City of Phx has a website to check for pictures of unclaimed property btw - I'll PM you if I see another unclaimed Turner. On the 32/36 question I just felt the 150MM 32 w/ QR15 is a perfect fork combo on paper for me and this review helps me believe that will translate in reality. On the Turner Web Page they recommend fork travel as 130--150 too. 160MM was a blast on down hills but I'd wash out the front a little and it did feel like serious overkill for my normal riding - primarily xc.

Surfin' da mountain
    Quote Originally Posted by trailadvent
    Nice report, but Im lost at this point though, those running 36s on there Spots whether I agree or not are looking for a slacker harder core riding Spot.

I still think the industry did not need another hub/fork standard and its another attempt to make inroads into an area Fox and Shimano have lost allot of ground in! Shimano don't stack up in the 20mm world, they still might rule in QR due to OEM and lack of consumer knowledge! Fox missed out big time in the 130 -140mm area as did most of the others!
    JT & TA, I agree and disagree with you both. But an opinion is like a buttcrack - we've all got one and most stink.

So here's my flatulence: I'd like to see the industry all go to QR15 - front and rear. It may be strong enough to replace the front 20mm standard for DH & FR action, and touted to be nearly as light as the current QR setup including the skewer.

I didn't like the separation between QR-Skewer and 20MM. I just upgraded from a skewer to a 20mm and it was quite an investment! I wanted a fork with adjustable travel utilizing one setting at 130mm for my home trails and 160mm for steeper/faster trails where I could use the slacker HA on my SPOT. (140mm wasn't enough IMO) I feel I got what I expected - but don't ride hard enough to break a 32 - so agree the 36 is more fork than I need - but I wanted the slack head angle when things get steep and fast.

Well there it is in a nutshell - if 20mm is not used in the rear of the heaviest-dutiest of bikes, why do we absolutely need it in the front? Would 15mm be enough for DH/FR?
    (NOTE - the 15mm axle could be made from different materials to vary the balance of weight vs. strength depending on the application) Then we could go to one hub axle size for any application and those in between.

Baked Alaskan
    Some interesting opinions/observations. So far I've found my 09 Talas to be a very plush fork, but I run my sag around 33% to make it a little squishy. Still haven't bottomed it yet so I must be doing something right.

JTBAZ, do you feel you have the HS & LS compression dialed on the 36? That's something I'm still working on after a couple of weeks - since this is the first fork I've had with both adjustments I want to keep tweaking until I get it right. Its taking more time to get right than a standard RC fork, I had my old Vanilla dialed by the end of the first ride. The taller AC will make the ride a bit more sluggish, but I find the handling to be crisp at 130 and bomb-diggity at 160. I also like the extra travel and the slacker angles on the DH stuff - I put my 66 SL on my old Spot and set it to 150mm and it was fun when pointed down - one of the reasons I wanted a 160mm fork for the new Spot.

I was running my old Spot with a 140mm Pike, which had the geometry a little slacker than the new Spot at 130 and a little steeper compared to the 36 at 160. Don't know if this is unique to the 09's, but the travel adjustments are just a couple clicks from where you're starting from - and each setting is a 1/4 turn of the knob. For me its very XC feeling at 130 and pretty comfy at 160. I think 150 would be perfect in the long setting, both travel and geometry-wise, but you can't have everything.

Personally, I just don't get why Fox would go with this new 15mm thingy when tons of 20mm hubs are already in circulation. It may work, but much like Maverick, you can't just get a new fork to try out - you have to get a whole new damn wheel. If you're making the switch from a QR for the first time no biggie, but I've run 20mm hubs since the first Z1 with the QR20 so old skool QR's have been a thing of the past for awhile.

Besides Fox already has a QR-ish system for the 20mm axles, why not just use that? Maybe the 15mm is a tad lighter - but nobody can tell the difference between a 4.1# fork and a 4.3# fork unless its on a scale. When shopping for a new fork for my Spot I never even gave the 15mm stuff a look because of the new wheel needs - I'm through with proprietary stuff ... r.i.p. Maverick, Lefty and now Fox15.
    The red couch has moved from Alaska to Florida...

Surfin' da mountain
    Quote Originally Posted by AK Chris
    Personally, I just don't get why Fox would go with this new 15mm thingy when tons of 20mm hubs are already in circulation. It may work, but much like Maverick, you can't just get a new fork to try out - you have to get a whole new damn wheel. If you're making the switch from a QR for the first time no biggie, but I've run 20mm hubs since the first Z1 with the QR20 so old skool QR's have been a thing of the past for awhile.

Besides Fox already has a QR-ish system for the 20mm axles, why not just use that? Maybe the 15mm is a tad lighter - but nobody can tell the difference between a 4.1# fork and a 4.3# fork unless its on a scale. When shopping for a new fork for my Spot I never even gave the 15mm stuff a look because of the new wheel needs - I'm through with proprietary stuff ... r.i.p. Maverick, Lefty and now Fox15.
    You forgot the Specialized 25mm thru axle - The Enduro SL, hows that for proprietary!

I don't disagree with you on that Chris. But I don't see the XC guys adopting the 20mm even in Maxle or Fox's 36 format. Basically the industry needs a happy medium that both XC and heavy can adopt and allow the industry to start over again too.

Baked Alaskan
    Quote Originally Posted by Cucucachu
    You forgot the Specialized 25mm thru axle - The Enduro SL, hows that for proprietary!
    And lets not forget their own forks and rear shocks and so on - r.i.p. Specialized too!
    The red couch has moved from Alaska to Florida...

trail fairy
    Quote Originally Posted by AK Chris
    I'm through with proprietary stuff ... r.i.p. Maverick, Lefty and now Fox15.
    I'm with ya AK all the way

RIP Props

Yeah my only other observartion is I would definitley hold off buying any new fork in this catagory at the mo, with the reba going 20mm light the new 29er ta fork etc there's going to be some changes in the Revelation and PIKE Im betting

Course if ya like Fox damping then ya stuck, and another standard in ya stable

XC riders, well for me its just good information from the industry, if theyre that concerned with weight then they will stay QR, is there really any benefit to ta for them I dunno I raced Leftys withta's and I loved that fork on my HT but I would never go there again, course I don't do XC anymore either

But education, good wheel building, using smart choices will build you as good a wheel imo.

Fox and Shimano will market the crap outta this liek Shimano did withb STI on mtb where did that go R I P..

I say good luck and hope ya only got one bike, what a nightmare and lack of options if ya got more, also ya market has now shrunk to move on such fork and hub, when ya want to upgrade

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Not to say I love the "another standard" that 15mm provides, but at least they made a size that most hub manufacturers can make a reducer for so you can use your existing 20mm hubs.

trail fairy
    Quote Originally Posted by Whambat
    Not to say I love the "another standard" that 15mm provides, but at least they made a size that most hub manufacturers can make a reducer for so you can use your existing 20mm hubs.

Umm good point, does that mean more weight?

Ah on reflection if ya got 20mm why would ya want to go to 15mm, well maybe to use a wheel If you did add a 15mm fork to your line, um am thinking out loud to cover off all possibilites!

I'd personally spend $30-40 on a new maxle axle lite, if I was worried about it, probably cheaper than 15mm adaptors, good deabte though, Im still intrigued to see what RS is gonna release on us later this year!

My main problem I see with allot of this is there's becoming significant overlap in the market which is companies trying to use guerrila marketing techniques instead of refining and improving exisitng products, I look at Marzocchi, how many loyal customers have they lost or are lose because it focused on new products to differentiate themselves sell more which is the ideal business plan and end goal of any business ya got to be in to make a profit, but lost out on quality control, or tech issues with new technology and there core selling point of there fork line, reliability, buttery smooth feel and bad ass culture, now we got then Avengers mixed in with GW Bush & self exploding time bombs in some of the lair models anyway!

Thats why Im debating this does it lead to better products more options or more problems we end up wearing, standards are not lack of progress or advancement but lead to better and better end products for us, I hope anyway, still I do love to use the dremel now and again

Keep it rolling

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast