mtbr member
    Feb 2010

Spoke length question

Getting ready to build up a new rear wheel using a 135 hadley rear hub and a stans flow rim. Using the dt spoke calculator the precise sizes are 258.9 and 257.5. The calculator rounded the 258.9 up to 259 which makes sense to me. My question is that the calculator rounded the 257.5 down to 257 but wouldn't it make more sense and be easier to dish if I used a 258? It seems to me if I used what the calculator rounded to I have a .60mm discrepancy where as if I used a 258 I have a .40mm discepancy or am I high?

www.derbyrims.com
    The DT Swiss spoke calculator has always been very accurate for me. I've found to save money buying spokes by the box that plus or minus about 1.5mm from the calculator has worked fine biasing towards the longer length.

If you haven't done a build before, count turns. After all spokes are laced near 4 turns, counting turns evenly tighten the flatter dish side and to round true first, the flatter more tensioned side is difficult to tighten later for final side and dish true.

Have fun!