mtbr member

split deraileur hanger

I had my first crash on my 5 Spot today and, as very bad luck would have it, the deraileur hanger split, from the rear to about halfway through. I've got no digital photo to accurately show the damage unfortunately.

Of course I'm going to check out the Turner site and contact them directly, but some advice form other 5 Spot owners will probably speed up my repairs and be very much appreciated.

Does anyone know if the 5 Spot has a particular hard-to-get-hold-off hanger, or are they pretty run of the mill? I'm in Korea, and while Seoul has good shops, good mechanics and a decent range of stuff, I'm worried I may have to get something sent over from the States. There's a local Turner importer in Korea though, so they may be able to help.

Anyway, any advice would be great. In over a a year and a half of riding and crashing and riding and crashing on Korea's bike eating trails I never had this problem with my RM Blizzard. I guess I just have to put it down to annoyingly bad luck.

Cheers, Duncan

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    They're pretty run of the mill in design, but unfortunately there is no replaceable rear derailleur standard. My Kona uses a chainring bolt to keep everything in place. So I think you've no choice but to get it direct from turner. I think they're $18USD.

Negative Rep Points!!!!
    Order a six pack of them. No seriously, Turner Der hangars are machined from a hunk of butter. If you leave your bike sitting on it's side in the sun it will bend. I keep a spare in my Camelbak.
    What the EFF is "All MOUNTAIN"???

Lay off the Levers

One day, Shimano will save us all...

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan
    I had my first crash on my 5 Spot today and, as very bad luck would have it, the deraileur hanger split, ... In over a a year and a half of riding and crashing and riding and crashing on Korea's bike eating trails I never had this problem with my RM Blizzard. I guess I just have to put it down to annoyingly bad luck.

Talk about Murphy's law! It's like dropping a bolt and just knowing it's going to roll to the hardest place to get at. Hope you get the hangar replaced quickly.

One day, Shimano will lead the tortured souls into a shining new era, where deraileurs are bolted to the axel instead of a breakaway mount...where bottom bracket bearings are mounted outside the BB shell...
    (okay I can go for that)
    One day Shimano will teach the stupid that shifting should be done with brake levers... That deraileurs are supposed to pull the other way... One day Shimano will teach the world we actually need splined hubs to keep our disk rotors from flying away...

Yeeeeeaaahhhh Riiiiiigggghhttt.

And even if we don't agree...they'll use the Bill Gates method to limit the alternatives.

Cheers! Taking the good with the bad and loving it cause it's still about riding!

=
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

No, that's not phonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquaholic
    Order a six pack of them. No seriously, Turner Der hangars are machined from a hunk of butter. If you leave your bike sitting on it's side in the sun it will bend. I keep a spare in my Camelbak.
    Yeah, what Aquaholic said. They are made out of silly putty. The good part is you can bend them back into shape endlessly. The bad is that they do get tweaked awfully easily. I personally have 5 spares now. The funny part is not that I have so many extras, I have stopped bending them. Can't win.

Oh, and they are special to Turner as far as I know. If you are a handy guy, you can probably rig something to work in the mean time, but do get a few spares from Turner or a Turner dealer, and always take one along. I'm surprised someone does not offer a stiffer aftermarket model (or maybe someone does... my memory fails).

Good luck,
    tscheezy
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member
    Thanks for your advice guys.

That's surprising to hear that Turner's put such crappy hangers on the 5 Spot.

As you may have noted from my previous posts, I'm not the most mechanically minded rider. I'm going to go to a couple of local shop owners and the Turner importer today and see if they can help. I'd prefer to avoid having a bunch of new hangers sent over by Turner, especially if they are as prone ot failure as the current one.

The good news is Korea has a lot of very good engineers and machine shops, I'll probably be able to have an exact copy fabricated out of stainless steel over the weekend.

Cheers, Duncan

Will work 4 fuel...
    Thanks for your advice guys.

That's surprising to hear that Turner's put such crappy hangers on the 5 Spot...

Cheers, Duncan
    Replaceable der. hangers were introduced so that at impact, the more expensive parts: frame (or rear triangle) and rear der. (to some degree) would be spared most of damage. Sure it's inconvenient, but think of the $$$ that little piece of alum. saved you.

mtbr member

Before you use stainless steel...

..I'll probably be able to have an exact copy fabricated out of stainless steel over the weekend...
    My 5 Spot is the first bike I've owned with a replaceable derailleur hanger and I've yet to bend or brake it. I can't chime in to whether I think Turner's is too soft or how to remedy the problem, so you may want to take the following with a grain of salt...

In the event of a crash or mishap that is associated with the rear derailleur and in turn the portion of the frame that it's mounted to aren't hangers supposed to bend so the frame won't? If you fabricated a hanger out of stainless steel (ss) aren't you running the risk of having the aluminum frame bend before the ss hanger does? Plus hangers from Turner are fairly cheap and if you ask nicely they might even toss in a free water bottle and stickers ... I know, I know I have no shame when it comes to freebies.
    Last edited by CrashTheDOG; 03-11-2004 at 07:56 PM.

mtbr member
    Cheers, I know the whole idea of replacable, relatively weak hangers is for them to break rather than the rear triangle, so I'm glad it's only a small part I have to replace. My biggest gripe is that it's a big hassle when you're living way out in South Korea and you have to have something sent from Turner in the US. These hangers are like the achilles heels of bikes.

And I won't go for stainless steel now. One of the local Korean shop owners warned me against that this morning, and it makes sense even to my mechanically dyslexic brain.

It sounds like I may be able to have 4 or 5 hangers made for about $US40.

Cheers,

Duncan

... I guess you won't be
    whahhh! talk abooot a crybaby!

these thing are supposed to break, bend, destroy and self destruct! Buy three, murphy's law says that if you buy more than you ever need you will never, ever bust one again! Good insurance. I am appalled by your overseas whining!

mtbr member
    Thanks, just the kind of constructive advice I was looking for.

I'm well aware, as I've already mentioned, that replacable hangers are designed exactly for that purpose - to break easily, be quickly replaced and save riders from expensive repairs or replacing frames or rear triangles. Try reading the posts again.

I am also planning, believe or not, to acquire 4 or 5 of these hangers to avoid this hassle. Try reading the post again.

All I really wanted to know is does Turner have a generic hanger that can easily be replaced in Korea or do I have to import one or have one made especially.

Riding in Korea is great, the tracks are cool, the shops arnd mechanics are much better than you'd imagine and the riders here, like most riders in North America are usually full of good, constructive advice.

And I only cry when I scratch my paint. It's truly appalling

mtbr member

That's surprising to hear that Turner's put such crappy hangers on the 5 Spot.

As you may have noted from my previous posts, I'm not the most mechanically minded rider.

I'd prefer to avoid having a bunch of new hangers sent over by Turner, especially if they are as prone ot failure as the current one.

Cheers, Duncan
    On second thoughts I do sound like a bit of a lame-arse, 'oh boo hoo my hanger is broken' total beginner in a couple of my earlier posts (see above), so please forgive my anal defensive reply.

The thing is, I have known for years that hangers are designed to break, but does it seem to you guys that Turner could do with being a just a wee bit tougher? (still allowing for frame-saving breakage though).

mtbr member

gotta love Korean bike shops

Well, despite all the drama I found a replacement hanger very easily. The newly appointed Turner dealer (who has not even officially begun dealing with Turners yet) grabbed a hanger, sent it to my local shop and I popped around there yesterday morning to put it on. Even managed to join a big group ride for most of yesterday afternoon. I'll arrange to get a stash of spares soon.

Foreign riders in Korea get very friendly treatment here. All this cost was me a was a bar of chocolate.

Another friend once broke the rocker arm on his Specialized. The dealer had no spares in stock so he went out to the front of the shop and, not having some special tool with him at the time, hacked the required part out of another bike and gave it too my friend.

And Korean hikers usually stand on the side of the track, cheer and wave and shout out friendly words of support as riders race down past them.

mtbr member

help...busted mine yesterday

I read through this whole thread but could not find anyone say WHERE they got a replacement from????

Flyin Canine
    Quote Originally Posted by Lambone
    I read through this whole thread but could not find anyone say WHERE they got a replacement from????
    That depends on where you are located. If you have an LBS around that carrys Turners they may have one in stock. If not then order direct from Turner.

Lay off the Levers
    Quote Originally Posted by Lambone
    If you are talking about the standard hanger, you can get them from:
    a)Your Turner dealer
    b) Turner direct (call them)
    c) Larry "Ventarama" at Mountain High Cyclery who frequents many of these forums.

If you're talking about a tougher hanger... I don't know either.

Cheers gears and beers!
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

Flyin Canine

zilla strength hanger

I think that the RFX has the same hanger as the 5spot. A stronger hanger is available from Monty at Helens cycles in So Cal. Make sure you ask for Monty. The hanger he can get for you is black in color. There's a thread on this board about it:
    It's been hinted at... but seriously can I buy a