Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

SPAM, New multipostion adjustable seatpost

Sorry to SPAM you guys, but I figured the type of riders on this forum would appreciate this post.
    A friend and I have designed a new adjustable height seatpost. This is one of the prototypes that we have been running for the past 6 months. We wanted to thoroughly test the design for ease of use, reliability, and durability before letting the cat out of the bag. We are highly satisfied with its performance and thought that it was time to share it with others. We anticipate the production models will role out in late spring/early summer. Here are some specs:
    • 1” and 3” drops standard on all post
    • Custom drops will be available upon request
    • Remotely actuated via handlebar mounted lever for “on the fly” use
    • Available sizes will be 27.2 and 30.9, with shims for other sizes
    Attached Images Attached Images

Outcast
    Blurry, might I suggest that you give us a little more detail about your seatpost? Many of us here use gravity droppers; how is your seatpost different, how is it similar? Please feel free to go into detail. Thank you.
    Do you have a pic or two of the remote switch?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I'm not an adj SP user, and not to rain on Blurry's parade, but a buddy told me yesterday that he saw a new Maverick adj SP that worked like a garage stool. Lever between the legs/under the seat that actuates a gas strut. Sounded cool. TFWIW.

What the heck do you rest your chest on during steep drops if you lower your seat, anyway?!
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

Outcast
    The maverick post, which is called the speedball, is a nicely finished product. The two things I don't like about it are:

No indexed positions. You can't count on being in the same position other than fully up, or fully down.

No remote [yet]. You reach between your legs [Ooooooooooo] to activate the post.

What do I rest my chest on during steep descents? Nothing. I heve to suspend my bulbous body with my knobby knees.

Just Grin and HUCK it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade
    The maverick post, which is called the speedball, is a nicely finished product. The two things I don't like about it are:

No indexed positions. You can't count on being in the same position other than fully up, or fully down.

No remote [yet]. You reach between your legs [Ooooooooooo] to activate the post.
    How about a third thing wrong with the speedball - it won't fit a turner... 30.9 and 31.6 sizes only (at least per their website).

Blurry - how about some more details? Weight? Est cost? Etc, Etc. Pics of the remote would help too...
    Last edited by SilverSpot; 03-21-2006 at 07:43 AM.
    MCM# 2007.1

mtbr member
    Blurry, might I suggest that you give us a little more detail about your seatpost? Many of us here use gravity droppers; how is your seatpost different, how is it similar? Please feel free to go into detail. Thank you.
    Do you have a pic or two of the remote switch?
    Renegade,

It is similar to GravityDropper in that it offers multiposition “on the fly” adjustment of the seatpost height, however the mechanism that allows this ability is very different. I do not feel comfortable in describing the exact mechanism at this point because we have not yet reached the market. I can tell you that there are no pins used to hold the post in position as GD uses, and hence there are no holes through the post. We feel this will give this post superior strength versus the GD. Like GD it is mechanical, no seals or oil. Lowering and raising the seatpost takes less than a second as well.
    As for the switch we are currently using an old lockout levers for prototyping. The lever that will come with the post will be CNC’d alloy, offering lever adjustability (similar to the pull lever on the XO triggers).

Blurry

Outcast
    Blurry, you're such a tease! Showing us pics, yet hiding some of the goodies under the neoprene stocking, not divulging your secrets! I might speculate that your detent mechanism is actually underneath the upper, moveable seatpost, in the lower portion of the seatpost, hence, no detent holes in said seatpost.
    C'mon Blurry, if you want to lure some of us away from our gravity droppers, you need to show and tell us a wee bit more! Tempt the kiddies with some candy!

mtbr member
    Blurry - how about some more details? Weight? Est cost? Etc, Etc. Pics of the remote would help too...[/QUOTE]

SilverSpot,

I can tell you the weight of this prototype 30.9 post was 400 grams. The 27.2 will be considerably lighter than that. As far as the cost, we don't have a solid number yet, but it will not be more the the GD. When we get the lever finished I will post pics of it.

Blurry

mtbr member
    Blurry, you're such a tease! Showing us pics, yet hiding some of the goodies under the neoprene stocking, not divulging your secrets! I might speculate that your detent mechanism is actually underneath the upper, moveable seatpost, in the lower portion of the seatpost, hence, no detent holes in said seatpost.
    C'mon Blurry, if you want to lure some of us away from our gravity droppers, you need to show and tell us a wee bit more! Tempt the kiddies with some candy!
    Renegade,

Your right, the neoprene does do a good job of hiding the goodies, it also works well at protecting the goodies from mud.

Blurry

mtbr member
    Any plan for a setback version of the post? I know the gravity dropper doesn't have that option. I'm tall with long femurs, so I really need a setback to get my pedal position right (I tried a straight post and it just didn't work out for me). That's one reason why I haven't purchased a GD and that could be a nice differentiater for your product.

Team Sanchez
    Hey Blurry if you wan't to really set yourself apart from your competition, make a 5 inch version for us Huckers. Also, if you expect to succeed with this product, your customer service will have to be on par with Gravity Dropper, and they set the bar pretty high.

No, that's not phonetic
    No offense, but this thread seems pretty premature. You can hardly give us any details at all (and we are kinda geeky when it comes to the techy stuff), few pics, etc. Not sure how it could even be called spam since there is nothing to buy. "New product release... eventally" may be a good hook.

The things which bust on the GD posts is the head clamping mechanism. I think it would be a big evolutionary step for someone to put a head like a Thomson on one of these posts. Even though I don't like setback posts at all, some people do. That may be an option which would increase interest (offer a straight and a setback).

I'm all for more products of this sort. I like the idea of the neo sleeve. The accordion boot on the GD is really dorky (but works well). An issue I have with the Speedball is that when I carry my bike (through snow, whatever) I lower the GD and then rest the nose of the saddle on my shoulder. This would not work with the Mav post.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Feedback is great

HI guys,

We are not trying to tease as much as let you know that there is soon to be something to give you an alternative to GD. I think the GD is a great post, but the seat post world has room for another. One thing we are striving to do is make a very reliable and strong post. That is why we are making a 30.9. Some guys might like to run a post sized for their bike and not want to run a shim. We feel our locking system is very slick and opens the door for many position possibilities. You want 1,2,3,4" drops, no problem and no weight limit (Within reason.) We have tested many and find the 1"-3" drop to be perfect for tight technical single track and knarly downhills.

We would really like to hear some feed back on some of the things that you (real riders) would like or dislike in your dream post. Like Blurry said, we are looking at a lever that will allow infinite adjustment of lever position and be left or right sided. We feel this is a great idea...what do you guys think. We are also looking at a set back version because I have long legs!

I would also like to mention that before the full product roll out we want to have a few test riders from here test them out and give us the honest feedback we need. We don't want our engineering bias getting in the way if things need fix'n.

Thanks guys

rr
    I don't do PC
    Cool, I don't ride a GD post but was thinking about getting one. I would be happy to test ride one for ya Can't give you any direct comparison to the GD but I could give you feedback. We have some good terrain here in C. Springs and I will be out in Moab/Fruita several times this spring I'm sure.

Rick

mtbr member
    Doubleoh9 is the friend I mention in the original post.

No, that's not phonetic
    You really need to do a 4" or more version. 3" is not enough for a gnarly donhill imo (and the opinion of others). Send a prototype to Team Sanchez in St George (El Chingon et al). It'll get plenty of rough love.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

Negative Rep Points!!!!
    Yay, another new crutch for our bicycles.

Holy crap...that seat clamp interface setup looks scary.
    What the EFF is "All MOUNTAIN"???

rr
    I don't do PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquaholic
    Yay, another new crutch for our bicycles.

Holy crap...that seat clamp interface setup looks scary.
    Looks the same as the GD, hasn't that broken on a few of you guy's post?

Aqua- you really need one, especially since you stay seated while airborne Gotta watch after those family jewels ya know.

edit: the new blinky smiley is gay

I've got a Stiffee
    Very interesting, and after riding SoMo in Phoenix this past weekend a Gravity Dropper has been on my brain ever since then. Thanks for posting this as now I may hold off for awhile on the GD until we find out more details about your post.

Outcast
    I'll echo what a few folks here have said. I've had a gravity dropper since summer of '04. The weakest part of the mechanism is the saddle rail clamping pieces. They [yours!] should be beefier. And if you want to torture test your post in a short period of time, send one to El Chingon. He's the only guy I know who's actually broken a gravity dropper.

Lay off the Levers
    Thompson has a very good seat clamp. I do miss that going to the GD. Nothing wrong with it AFAIK but I liked the Thompson more.

If you're going to send it out for user testing, try to avoid "Left Coasting" it. Sometimes it seems like some mfgrs design and test with only the wide open spaces and hour-long inclines of the West coast deserts in mind. Many people ride trails where you don't see a change of incline until you're right up on it so instant and easy is the only thing that will work ...That said, Team Sanchez will find the product's limits, keep them in mind when speaking of strength and no weight limits.

After using the GD with the remote I can say I have no interest in using a post w/o.

If you really want to design in a feature of distinction, make it easy for the user to set the drop stop positions. Many people like the -1" + -4" GD. Some would like to experiment with different positions. If you could make one where we can set the stops we want...and get to them w/o blowing by them, you would have something unique.

Price is another concern. If it's going to be more expensive than the competition you might chase away some interest. The high-end extras have gone up a lot in the last year. Popular Hubs, headsets , Front and Rear dampers have all spiked way over what many of us would have imagined. Just how many more superpriced componenets will we go for is anyone's guess.
    Last edited by Bikezilla; 03-21-2006 at 09:40 AM.
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

Team Sanchez
    I PM'd 009 to let him know that we are game to test ride his new product. Hopfully my 230 lbs will not scare them off, as I know several other riders on this board approaching that weight.

It is true that I snapped the clamping head of the GD, but Wayne from GD told me that the new ones have been beefed up a bit.

Outcast
    Quote Originally Posted by El Chingon
    I PM'd 009 to let him know that we are game to test ride his new product. Hopfully my 230 lbs will not scare them off, as I know several other riders on this board approaching that weight.

It is true that I snapped the clamping head of the GD, but Wayne from GD told me that the new ones have been beefed up a bit.
    El C, perhaps they will name a model of their seatpost after you. The "Team Sanchez" model will offer 5 inches of drop, and it will double as a pry bar for moving those pesky rocks out of the landing zones.

Team Sanchez
    I like that idea. I talked to the guys at GD, and they told me that the market for the 5 inch would be relatively small, as you would need to show 8 inches of post to make it work, and there just aren't that many of us out there with 8 inches showing, so to speak.

My cup runneth over
    I'll echo what a few folks here have said. I've had a gravity dropper since summer of '04. The weakest part of the mechanism is the saddle rail clamping pieces. They [yours!] should be beefier. And if you want to torture test your post in a short period of time, send one to El Chingon. He's the only guy I know who's actually broken a gravity dropper.
    I beg to differ... I was the 7th person ever to break one (I got mine in '04 - like you!) - El C is way off the back. Steve has the dubious distinction of breaking two...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast