Baked Alaskan

Spack (Spot & Pack) HL & TNT weights... cause I'm bored

Ok Homers, my credit card has been really busy lately. With all the Pack/RFX posts I was beginning to feel left behind so I had to get in on the arms race. I like the idea of a Spack (or 5-Pack as some are calling it) so I picked up a large PC grey front traingle. I've also have a hankerin' for a Spot TNT rear so I also decided to get one of those too. Since everything is torn apart right now and some of it will be heading out for a new finish, I thought I'd throw them on the scale because I'm bored and curious. Everything is in US weights - kilo's sound like a drug dealer.

First up the HL and TNT rears on the scale. Both read 1lb 13oz., I switched it over to grams, got 822 and 823, the TNT was the porky one of the pair. The third pic are the pivots side by side, the original one is from '03. Other than a grease smudge, the look mint.

One note, the main pivot bolts were a BEY-OCH to get loose, I was so worrried I was gonna strip them when they popped. This is the first time I've had the swingarm off, and it didn't need it. The grease on the pivot shaft grooves was nice and clean. Gotta love the zerks!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The red couch has moved from Alaska to Florida...

Baked Alaskan
    Next up are the front triangle weights. I made a bitt of a mistake last time I posted the RFX weight. Its not 3 lbs 10 oz, its a little over 3 lbs 12 oz. The Spot is 3 lbs 5 oz. So there's a 7 oz difference between the two.

Baked Alaskan
    I lined up the BB and the main pivots and took a few photos to illustrate the differences in the frames. I'm too lazy to do the uber-cool Tscheezy photoshop overlay diagram thing. I am at work after all.

Baked Alaskan
    And finally here's one for our favorite headtube badge admirer -- Dusty Butthump. Enjoy!!!!

p.s. I apologise in advance for the white balance being off.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AK Chris
    First up the HL and TNT rears on the scale. Both read 1lb 13oz., I switched it over to grams, got 822 and 823, the TNT was the porky one of the pair.
    For such a large and complex structure that level of precision sure seems remarkable.
    A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have.

Lay off the Levers
    Very interesting comparisons. The weight difference is less than I thought, but still almost half a pound. Seeing how Team Sanchez beat the crap out of their Packs this is some very intellegent use of that extra seven oz.
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

Baked Alaskan
    Another side note -- kudos to Turner and Olympic for doing a better job with the finish. On the Spot you could gouge it with your fingerrnail and the whole finish looked pretty worn after only a few rides. The grey on the RFX is a much harder finish, I think it will do a much better job of holding against the dirt.

As far as the weights go, I'm pretty sure the Spot was beefed up a hair after its introduction, mine seems to come in on the lighter end of the "scale" so to speak. I know built up my frame with the RP3 was a couple ounces lighter than what some others were posting. The current models might have less of a difference.

over researcher
    I find it interesting that the HL & TNT rear triangles are identical in weight. I would have figured the TNT would have been noticeably (on the scale anyway) heavier due to the dropouts not being completely machined through.

No, that's not phonetic
    So did you buy a complete 6-Pack or a Pack front triangle and a Spot TNT rear triangle? What rockers did you get?

I see lots of parts, but no plan.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

Baked Alaskan

UGI hits hard!!!!!! Long post warning!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    So did you buy a complete 6-Pack or a Pack front triangle and a Spot TNT rear triangle? What rockers did you get?

I see lots of parts, but no plan.
    Well the plan for now is to throw some color on the fronts. I thought about the rear, but the polish rear is a Turner signature that I like. Both will eventually be frankenTurners, a Spot/Flux (Splux) and a Spot/Pack (Spack).

As far as the builds - the Splux is going to be my Flux wannabe ride -- especially since the rears are identical. It will go full on XC, RP3, martas, light tires, carbon post, bar, eggs, Pike Air or the DUC and so on. Now the Flux lusting will end for good... hopefully.

I haven't been able to part with the Mav yet. Originally I was gonna sell the Mav to help fund the builds of both rides, but I'm having a hard time putting it up for sale. I'm rather fond of it. But I have a Pike Air to play with too.

The Spack will go a little more FR-ish than my current Spot build, one of the big SC forks -- 66sl looks nice, DHX-a, fatter tires, my weezie FR's, the eggbeaters with the platforms, and eventually a heavy duty set of wheels.

I'm making the switch to Sram this year too, going x9 for the rear deraileurs and I may try one of their fronts for one of the rides. I want the Sram triggers too. The XT front I have right now is fine so no need to trash it. It'll go on the Splux. Another switch I'm making this year is to 31.8 bars. The Spack will also get a set of LX II cranks and a King headset to match the ones I already have.

One thing I haven't decided is which rear will better serve each purpose. I guess some ride time on each will help sort that out. If anyone has any opinions, feel free to share. Don't know if the TNT will better serve me on the lightweight XC ride or the FR ride. That'll be the fun part.

The unfortunate victim in the most serious case of UGI I've ever had may be the Pugs. I'm also putting together a mobile HD shooting/editing video setup to shoot documentary type stuff and the cost of upgrading to an HDV cam, a laptop capable of editing HD video, a new microphone or two and some lighting upgrades mean I *may* have to sacrifice something else. Right now the odd toy out is the Pugs. But we'll see what I get when the pieces from my current video setup goes on the block.

mtbr member
    Next up are the front triangle weights. I made a bitt of a mistake last time I posted the RFX weight. Its not 3 lbs 10 oz, its a little over 3 lbs 12 oz. The Spot is 3 lbs 5 oz. So there's a 7 oz difference between the two.
    ...curious . I just received my Large Rfx triangle today (this is the one with the extra brake line guide & ST gusset), back from a double powdercoat @ Olympic...& it was 3.65 lbs on the nose (3#-10 oz), seems more reasonable since when I weighed the med pack tri & large spot tri HERE, there was barely an Oz between them.

Baked Alaskan

Strange stuff

Quote Originally Posted by jncarpenter
    ...curious . I just received my Large Rfx triangle today (this is the one with the extra brake line guide & ST gusset), back from a double powdercoat @ Olympic...& it was 3.65 lbs on the nose (3#-10 oz), seems more reasonable since when I weighed the med pack tri & large spot tri HERE, there was barely an Oz between them.
    Well, both of my weights from today are with the pivot bushings installed, that might explain the difference.

So from the looks of your measurements, my large Spot tri is a little lighter and my large RFX is a little heavier. Very odd. Damn, I didn't get the extra brake guide either...

mtbr member
    Well, both of my weights from today are with the pivot bushings installed, that might explain the difference.

So from the looks of your measurements, my large Spot tri is a little lighter and my large RFX is a little heavier. Very odd. Damn, I didn't get the extra brake guide either...
    ...yeah, both of mine were weighed sans bushing/ pivots. Either way should yield a relative comparison tho since the bushing/ pivots are the same for both frames. FYI, I got an 06 RFX *blem'd* ano frame to powdercoat. The triangles that don't pass the QC test for ano (purely aesthetic) are reserved for the custom colors. I was pleasantly surprised by the extra cable mount!

Lay off the Levers
    Extra Cable mount? Where?
    Hey did you post you just got your frame back from paint and then not post a picture? Tisk tisk.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikezilla
    Hey did you post you just got your frame back from paint and then not post a picture? Tisk tisk.
    .... ! Decals arrive tomorrow, pics will magically appear shortly thereafter. Now that the hi/ lo compression adjustment is available from Avy....more magic to follow

mtbr member
    May 2004
    thought I would pitch in. I just sold my 2002 RFX 16.5"/Small and I am getting a brand new white late 2005 HorstLink 6Pack Medium in a few days.

Weight in grams is WITH Chris King cups, and is shown in grams with Romic rear shock with 600x2.25 spring.
    ----------------------------------------
    Jorgen
    Trondheim, Norway
    Spec Stumpy Comp FSR 29er
    Turner DHR 2005, drilled

Gentleman Loser

Off topic question about Romic

Hey, isn't that Romic shock a twin tube design? Is it advisable to run it in that position with the damper base valve at the top?

Is it not probable that the damper will burp air through the base valve?

Just curious.

Lay off the Levers
    CZ, the Romic functions quite well in either orientation. I had mine both ways for some time. Some mfgrs actually shiped their frames with the damper body on top and the stickers flipped. Like in the Jorgen's.

not so super...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikezilla
    See RedRockers new Spot post. DT added a hyd line tie-down in the middle of the TT.
    Nothing to see here.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I have had the shock both ways. I have no idea if it makes the shock air up or not. It has worked very nicely for about a year now, after a warranty rebuild.
    I think I mounted it this way so I could play with the compression-adjuster.

Well, now it's gone, and a new medium 6Pack is on it's way :-) Horst link too!
    ----------------------------------------
    Jorgen
    Trondheim, Norway
    Spec Stumpy Comp FSR 29er
    Turner DHR 2005, drilled