Living the Dream

Southwest Airlines & Bike Case Travel

Normally I ship my bike via Fedex, however, I don't really have anyone to ship it to in Las Vegas, so I am considering flying with the bike. Southwest with a CrateWorks or similiar case. Southwest lists a price of only $50 per way and my trip from San Antonio to Las Vegas is direct. Any Suggestions?
    "And I shout that your all fakes and you should have seen the look on your face"

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpenglow
    Normally I ship my bike via Fedex, however, I don't really have anyone to ship it to in Las Vegas, so I am considering flying with the bike. Southwest with a CrateWorks or similiar case. Southwest lists a price of only $50 per way and my trip from San Antonio to Las Vegas is direct. Any Suggestions?
    If you don't have someone to ship it to, what other option do you have? $50 each way (direct or connecting flight doesn't matter) seems reasonable, especially since it'll arrive with you.

Do keep in mind that an airlines financial responsibility for damage or loss for checked bags can be _MUCH_ less than what a bike may be worth (I fly United, so dunno what SWA's policies are) and baggage handlers are not gentle when loading and unloading planes.
    http://www.southwest.com/travel_cent...equipment.html
    Southwest's policy says bicycles in cardboard or soft-sided cases will only be accepted as a "conditionally accepted item" which suggests they will accept no liability for damage.

mr. wonderful
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpenglow
    i've had really good luck with checking the bike with the SWA sky cabs. I have a pika packworks EEP (excercise equipment pack) which is a padded soft case. I have $10 clearly visible and I am usually never asked what's in the case. if asked, I answer "exercise equipment". just once I use then asked "like a bike?". "yes, like a bike".

i've never paid more than the $10 tip each way.

mtbr member
    Hey Alpenglow, you're more than welcome to ship your bike to me here in St. Geroge, tscheezy can vouch for me, or if you'd be more comfortable shipping it to a LBS check in with Kong at Desert Cycles, (435) 674-2929, he could even build it up and have it ready to roll with you pull into town. If you're trying to ride in Vegas before coming to St. George you could also try some of the shops down there. PM me if you want a shipping address.