Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 59
  1. #1
    Knomer
    Reputation: Dusty Bottoms's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,371

    South Mountain blows....

    Drivetrains.

    A bunch of us went to South Mountain in Phoenix last weekend and did about 16 shuttle runs. That place is amazing....great trails, friendly trail users, cute chicks on DH bikes, etc. It's also a great place to test suspension and drivetrains. Drivetrains usually lose. I smashed my derailleur up even WITH a hanger banger. We mostly took video, which explains why most of these stills were taken at that same spot...

    Macrider droppin in on the Kiwanis switch...


    Yours truly...


    Hot chick we picked up while she was climbing the road on her DH bike...


    2w4s6Gch7s.....


    Macrider at the bottom of 24th St....


    I was impressed with the suspension upgrades I bolted on last week. The Coil Totem felt great, and contrary to what the picture might indicate, the fork didn't bottom out all weekend. I'm running the stock blue spring with 4 preload spacers, RS says you can use up to 8. This setup gives me good sag, great trail performance, with no bottoming. I also got hold of the red "x-heavy" spring for the fork, but when I installed it I could barely compress the fork. This doesn't make much sense since I weigh 220 with gear. Another thing that doesn't jibe is the color coding on the RS website. Their chart says the x-heavy spring is black, when in reality it is red. RS needs to re-establish their spring rates and color coding. This fork dropped almost 2 inches of ride height, 2 pounds, and I had to complete re-learn how to hit switchbacks now that I can turn this bike. I was coming in too slow and stalling when turning my wheel further than ever before.

    The "non race" Push'd DHX also performed well. I'm now able to run 25psi less than before which gives the shock a smoother feel. A beefier bottom out bumper helped control bottoming and the traction was noticeably improved. After the last run on Saturday on Kiwanis(pictured), I noticed some "slurping" noises from the shock in the parking lot, most likely from the shock getting worked hard for 8 hours. On Sunday morning the noises were gone and the shock was ready for action.

    Good times, that place is damn fun.
    Global Director of Sales: Knolly Bikes

  2. #2
    Living the Dream
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,637

    It's hard too beat that place.

    Especially when Gals from ASU are running by in Jog Bras.
    "And I shout that your all fakes and you should have seen the look on your face"

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    173

    Nice pics but..

    this has what to do with Turners???

  4. #4
    Ich bin ein Knolliner
    Reputation: Skins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    225
    "The Coil Totem felt great, and contrary to what the picture might indicate, the fork didn't bottom out all weekend."

    uuummmmmm.....

    PS: sorry about the quality. frame grabs from a video.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  5. #5
    Just roll it......
    Reputation: ebxtreme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,552
    Quote Originally Posted by Skins
    uuummmmmm.....

    PS: sorry about the quality. frame grabs from a video.
    The question is......did he ride that one out or did it send him OTB? Nice huck, Dusty!

  6. #6
    Negative Rep Points!!!!
    Reputation: Aquaholic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,970
    DB:

    Looks like the chunk factor at SoMo is kick ass! Post up some more pics!

    Way to sack up on that huck...impressive!
    What the EFF is "All MOUNTAIN"???

  7. #7
    ~~~~~~~~
    Reputation: airwreck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    5,876
    that's funny man, I weigh almost 75lbs. less than you and I can bottom the stock spring with one spacer. Guess I'm overdue for a fluid check, especially since it feels quite harsh. In the meantime I'll assume pilot error is the issue...

  8. #8
    Pivoteer
    Reputation: tiSS'er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,435
    Good to see you like my playground

    Those are all good trails, hopefully you were able to catch Geronimo and Holbert as well.

    The Mormon to 24th street is one of my favorites. During the weekday, usually Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday, I park at the 24th Street lot and ride up Mormon (sometimes I will head up Geronimo), then head off to somewhere from there. That way I can end my ride with a trip down Mormon.

    Great point about the longevity of parts here. I am always replacing something. The most current was stanchions for my 66SL (OUCH!!!).. Drivetrains never live long here either.
    Employed by Pivot Cycles - www.pivotcycles.com

  9. #9
    Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    Reputation: cactuscorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    12,942
    kiwanis was always a fun drop and up for me. handy with it bein accross the road from telegraph pass too. extra nice that its rideable in both directions and wont quite kill ya either way. good shots.

    my vote is that huck ended with a dirty dusty.
    No, I'm NOT back!

  10. #10
    Outcast
    Reputation: Renegade's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    8,565
    Man that looks like fun. A bad day of shuttle riding is waaaaaaaay better than a good day at work, if there is such a thing.
    Thanks for sharing, Dusty.
    ****

  11. #11
    Knomer
    Reputation: Dusty Bottoms's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,371
    Quote Originally Posted by Skins
    "The Coil Totem felt great, and contrary to what the picture might indicate, the fork didn't bottom out all weekend."

    uuummmmmm.....

    PS: sorry about the quality. frame grabs from a video.
    Shouldn't you be editing some video right now?
    Global Director of Sales: Knolly Bikes

  12. #12
    Knomer
    Reputation: Dusty Bottoms's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,371
    Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    my vote is that huck ended with a dirty dusty.
    My Bottoms remained unsoiled on that attempt.
    Global Director of Sales: Knolly Bikes

  13. #13
    Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    Reputation: cactuscorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    12,942
    liar! aqua says yer bottom is very dirty! maybe i misunderstood.

    nice save man! i woulda figured you were desert fodder on that one.
    No, I'm NOT back!

  14. #14
    Knomer
    Reputation: Dusty Bottoms's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,371
    Quote Originally Posted by tiSS'er
    Good to see you like my playground

    Those are all good trails, hopefully you were able to catch Geronimo and Holbert as well.

    The Mormon to 24th street is one of my favorites. During the weekday, usually Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday, I park at the 24th Street lot and ride up Mormon (sometimes I will head up Geronimo), then head off to somewhere from there. That way I can end my ride with a trip down Mormon.

    Great point about the longevity of parts here. I am always replacing something. The most current was stanchions for my 66SL (OUCH!!!).. Drivetrains never live long here either.
    Yup, hit em all several times. In SoMo, The last trail you rode is always your favorite.
    Global Director of Sales: Knolly Bikes

  15. #15
    Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    Reputation: cactuscorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    12,942
    take me hooome.... country rooooooads.... to the plaaaaaaaace....... i used to riiiiiiiiide....... arizonaaaaaaaaaaaa........... burley mountaaaaaaaaaaain.................

    ok, ill stop now.
    No, I'm NOT back!

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,010
    Quote Originally Posted by boredwitless
    this has what to do with Turners???
    one of the riders was on a 5 Spot?

    Dusty owns a 5 Spot?

    I have 3 Turners right now?

    we spotted Turners on National trail?

    South Mountain is such great riding - hey Aqua, if you could even give up Noble/SJT for a weekend, you would lose your brain, so many rocks to go up & down, and off etc.....

  17. #17
    Knomer
    Reputation: Dusty Bottoms's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,371
    Quote Originally Posted by macrider
    hey Aqua, if you could even give up Noble/SJT for a weekend, you would lose your brain, so many rocks to go up & down, and off etc.....
    Don't waste your time, he's a lost cause. More trails for us!
    Global Director of Sales: Knolly Bikes

  18. #18
    Negative Rep Points!!!!
    Reputation: Aquaholic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,970
    Quote Originally Posted by macrider

    South Mountain is such great riding - hey Aqua, if you could even give up Noble/SJT for a weekend, you would lose your brain, so many rocks to go up & down, and off etc.....
    I have a question........Were any of those "Hot DH Chicks" asking about me?
    What the EFF is "All MOUNTAIN"???

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,010
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquaholic
    I have a question........Were any of those "Hot DH Chicks" asking about me?
    well, she did ask Dusty to put on some James Taylor for the shuttle back up....

    I'd take that as a yes if I were you....

  20. #20
    Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    Reputation: cactuscorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    12,942
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquaholic
    I have a question........Were any of those "Hot DH Chicks" asking about me?
    yep. she says shes still misses you after all these years. hehe
    No, I'm NOT back!

  21. #21
    Now with flavor!!
    Reputation: kidwoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    5,491
    Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    yep. she says shes still misses you after all these years. hehe
    Transgender jokes aside............WTF are you doing reading freerupublic?
    STRAVA: Enabling dorks everywhere to get trails shut down........ all for the sake of a race on the internet.

  22. #22
    Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    Reputation: cactuscorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    12,942
    thats what came up when i did a google search on "transgender cyclist" lookin for some aqua ammo. didnt pay much attention to more than a findin a story on her. with yer comment im thinkin maybe i shoulda payed closer attention to what i was openin up there? great, just great! now the man thinks im into that stuff. ill never get this "sex offender" sign off my lawn now!
    No, I'm NOT back!

  23. #23
    new and improved
    Reputation: El Santo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    398
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bottoms
    Macrider droppin in on the Kiwanis switch...
    That's a hot line for Mr. Brittleankles

    God I miss that place.

  24. #24
    Now with flavor!!
    Reputation: kidwoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    5,491
    Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    thats what came up when i did a google search on "transgender cyclist" lookin for some aqua ammo. didnt pay much attention to more than a findin a story on her. with yer comment im thinkin maybe i shoulda payed closer attention to what i was openin up there? great, just great! now the man thinks im into that stuff. ill never get this "sex offender" sign off my lawn now!
    Don't get me wrong, the site's definitely good for some comedy. But that's really the only reason any sane person should be looking at it. Read a bit and see what I mean.........either that or buy machine guns, start a militia and your own KKK chapter.
    STRAVA: Enabling dorks everywhere to get trails shut down........ all for the sake of a race on the internet.

  25. #25
    FM
    FM is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: FM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    9,285
    Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    yep. she says shes still misses you after all these years. hehe
    I ran into Michelle years ago- I was coming down Empress I think, one of the first times for me on that trail, on an XC bike in wet conditions. I was walking more than riding.

    Michelle was doing trailwork and was very cool, said hi and encouraged me to hit some option, but she was chuckling at my riding skills. "Shore Virgin?" were her words I think. Humbling, yet... kinda weird.

    Regardless of the controversy, you gotta respect freaky freaks that contribute to trail work & maintenance on the north shore.

  26. #26
    Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    Reputation: cactuscorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    12,942
    or we could respect folks as a rule unless its shown not to be deserved. just my thought on it.
    No, I'm NOT back!

  27. #27
    rr
    rr is offline
    I don't do PC
    Reputation: rr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    7,401
    Hey DB, as Aqua said, great job on nutting up on that drop!

  28. #28
    Displaying UGI Symptoms
    Reputation: murphie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    184
    Man - that trail looks fun. Also, nice huck Dusty!

    Thanks for posting your impressions of that "Non-Race" Pushed DHX-Coil. Was it easy to figure out the right riding adjustments for yourself? Did Push recommend the best settings for you, or did it possibly come all set up for your weight and riding style?
    24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence?
    - Stephen Wright

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation: CrashTheDOG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,448
    Good stuff Dusty. I'm stoked to hit SoMo for the first time next Friday. What tires were you running?

  30. #30
    Pivoteer
    Reputation: tiSS'er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,435
    Quote Originally Posted by CrashTheDOG
    Good stuff Dusty. I'm stoked to hit SoMo for the first time next Friday. What tires were you running?

    Looking forward to meeting ya Crash. You are gonna love it here.
    Employed by Pivot Cycles - www.pivotcycles.com

  31. #31
    Motion activated
    Reputation: Steve71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    3,133
    Nice action shots there DB! Looks like the Totem blew through it's travel a little easy there though....
    Happiness is a warm 2 stroke.

  32. #32
    Knomer
    Reputation: Dusty Bottoms's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,371
    Quote Originally Posted by CrashTheDOG
    Good stuff Dusty. I'm stoked to hit SoMo for the first time next Friday. What tires were you running?
    I've been running Specialized 2.4 2bliss on that bike for about a year and really like them. I would recommend something UST or dual ply for these trails.
    Global Director of Sales: Knolly Bikes

  33. #33
    Knomer
    Reputation: Dusty Bottoms's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,371
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve71
    Nice action shots there DB! Looks like the Totem blew through it's travel a little easy there though....
    Agreed. The loose ramped lead in is pretty steep, and by the time you hit the stairs at the bottom you're moving kinda fast. Like I said, the fork felt great on the trails, but I will likely try the yellow spring when it's available, and run fewer preload spacers. The red spring, which "should" be for my body weight, was impossible to compress.
    Global Director of Sales: Knolly Bikes

  34. #34
    Living the Dream
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,637

    How are the Stans Rims Holding up

    Quote Originally Posted by tiSS'er
    Looking forward to meeting ya Crash. You are gonna love it here.
    I'm curious to here your thoughts on them.
    "And I shout that your all fakes and you should have seen the look on your face"

  35. #35
    banned, again
    Reputation: The Chan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    128
    DB,

    If you could just double the size of that huck from the video stills, maybe you could ask the guys from Team Sanchez for a try-out. I hear that they don't accept any poseurs, and that you must be able to do at least 25 feet of drop.

    Git to work, bro.

  36. #36
    rr
    rr is offline
    I don't do PC
    Reputation: rr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    7,401
    nmnmnm
    Last edited by rr; 11-17-2006 at 03:46 PM.

  37. #37
    Ich bin ein Knolliner
    Reputation: Skins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    225
    Quote Originally Posted by The Chan
    DB,

    If you could just double the size of that huck from the video stills, maybe you could ask the guys from Team Sanchez for a try-out. I hear that they don't accept any poseurs, and that you must be able to do at least 25 feet of drop.

    Git to work, bro.

    Alternatively, I could leave the huck the same size and simply airbrush out the tranny.

  38. #38
    banned, again
    Reputation: The Chan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    128
    Quote Originally Posted by Skins
    Alternatively, I could leave the huck the same size and simply airbrush out the tranny.
    Nice!

    PinkBike strikes again!

  39. #39
    Rocky Mountain High
    Reputation: Saint John's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    234
    Quote Originally Posted by The Chan
    DB,

    If you could just double the size of that huck from the video stills, maybe you could ask the guys from Team Sanchez for a try-out. I hear that they don't accept any poseurs, and that you must be able to do at least 25 feet of drop.

    Git to work, bro.
    Me rike solid Engrish long time.

  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 2w4s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,110
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bottoms
    Agreed. The loose ramped lead in is pretty steep, and by the time you hit the stairs at the bottom you're moving kinda fast. Like I said, the fork felt great on the trails, but I will likely try the yellow spring when it's available, and run fewer preload spacers. The red spring, which "should" be for my body weight, was impossible to compress.
    Have you tried day-old jelly donuts for your body weight? I hear the compression ramp-up is sublime

  41. #41
    MK_
    MK_ is offline
    carpe mañana
    Reputation: MK_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    7,165
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bottoms
    Yours truly...
    How fast were you going there? That picture makes that fork look awful. Using up all that travel on that stepdown.

    _MK

    Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not just surrounded by a*holes

  42. #42
    dft
    dft is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,126
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bottoms
    Don't waste your time, he's a lost cause. More trails for us!
    yep. he rode iron mountian ONCE with me, loved it, , bought HAb shoes, but never returned. instead, more BLT, snooooooooze.

  43. #43
    Team Sanchez
    Reputation: El Chingon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    4,366
    Quote Originally Posted by The Chan

    If you could just double the size of that huck from the video stills, maybe you could ask the guys from Team Sanchez for a try-out. I hear that they don't accept any poseurs, and that you must be able to do at least 25 feet of drop.

    .
    C'mon Chanzo Don't exagerrate. 15 foot will get you into the club.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  44. #44
    Now with flavor!!
    Reputation: kidwoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    5,491
    Quote Originally Posted by MK_
    That picture makes that fork look awful. Using up all that travel on that stepdown.

    _MK

    Makes it look pretty plush to me.



    C'mon Chanzo Don't exagerrate. 15 foot will get you into the club.
    CC units don't count
    STRAVA: Enabling dorks everywhere to get trails shut down........ all for the sake of a race on the internet.

  45. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    291

    G-Force!

    Quote Originally Posted by MK_
    How fast were you going there? That picture makes that fork look awful. Using up all that travel on that stepdown.

    _MK
    That looks about right too me. If dusty was cooking through there the G-Force would be huge. Back when I used to ride lots of DH, I very rarely bottomed out doing large drops (not Kidwoo size, but definitely between 10 to 15footers). G-Force compression was the most common cause of bottom outs. Forks and shocks can pack down over a rough section, then one G-out will cause a bottom out. This looks like what's going on in Dusty's shots.

    Man all these pics make me want to put the DH bike back together. It's sitting in pieces in the basement.
    Thompson Elite Seat post 27.2 & 28.6
    E.13 SRS

    PM for details

  46. #46
    banned, again
    Reputation: The Chan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    128
    Quote Originally Posted by El Chingon
    C'mon Chanzo Don't exagerrate. 15 foot will get you into the club.
    Since you're my mentor, you're going to have to let me in the club with my past feat of 15 feet. You can ask J Bender if you need proof. It was one of the lower drops on the lower King Kong line extension to Flying Monkey. Of course I didn't pay people to make a photoshop picture of me doing it, so maybe that will exempt me from Team Speedo.

    bwaaaah hah hah hah. Team Speedo. I like that better than Team Hot Karl or Team Reacharound.

  47. #47
    banned, again
    Reputation: The Chan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    128
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    CC units don't count
    That is MILLILITER to you, Kid.

  48. #48
    MK_
    MK_ is offline
    carpe mañana
    Reputation: MK_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    7,165
    Quote Originally Posted by gregz12
    That looks about right too me. If dusty was cooking through there the G-Force would be huge. Back when I used to ride lots of DH, I very rarely bottomed out doing large drops (not Kidwoo size, but definitely between 10 to 15footers). G-Force compression was the most common cause of bottom outs. Forks and shocks can pack down over a rough section, then one G-out will cause a bottom out. This looks like what's going on in Dusty's shots.

    Man all these pics make me want to put the DH bike back together. It's sitting in pieces in the basement.
    All I can say is big props on doing step downs like this with a fork that dives so much. There are some sections on trails around here which have big rock stair sections and if my fork was to dive this much on those, I would be in trouble. I'm running a 66SL with low speed compression turned down almost all the way off, and I've never used up this much travel on any step down, and I've definitely have done some that are much bigger than this.

    _MK

    Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not just surrounded by a*holes

  49. #49
    banned, again
    Reputation: The Chan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    128
    Quote Originally Posted by MK_
    How fast were you going there? That picture makes that fork look awful. Using up all that travel on that stepdown.

    _MK
    MK,

    When I look at the picture I note the front brake is on pretty hard there. From the other picture showing the route from above, it looks like he's at the point where the line turns pretty hard, so it looks like a combo of drop, speed, brake, and line change. That would bottom out (or almost so) many forks in that trail situation, I think.

    But not my 36 Van RC2, though. yowza!

  50. #50
    Team Sanchez
    Reputation: El Chingon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    4,366
    Funny you mention Bender, again , in one of your posts, as proof that you possess any skills whatsoever. I run into him occiasionally out in the Springdale area, and each time, he never fails to comment on what a self inflated poseur you are. He told me you walked over 50% of "The Monkey" the one and only time he has ever ridden with you, and it took over 2 hours to get down the mountain. What's up with that? That's a shuttle ride that should take no longer than 20 minutes to get down. Come on out again when you get some free time, and let your mentor show you how it's done.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •