Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Knomer

South Mountain blows....

Drivetrains.

A bunch of us went to South Mountain in Phoenix last weekend and did about 16 shuttle runs. That place is amazing....great trails, friendly trail users, cute chicks on DH bikes, etc. It's also a great place to test suspension and drivetrains. Drivetrains usually lose. I smashed my derailleur up even WITH a hanger banger. We mostly took video, which explains why most of these stills were taken at that same spot...

Macrider droppin in on the Kiwanis switch...

Yours truly...

Hot chick we picked up while she was climbing the road on her DH bike...

2w4s6Gch7s.....

Macrider at the bottom of 24th St....

I was impressed with the suspension upgrades I bolted on last week. The Coil Totem felt great, and contrary to what the picture might indicate, the fork didn't bottom out all weekend. I'm running the stock blue spring with 4 preload spacers, RS says you can use up to 8. This setup gives me good sag, great trail performance, with no bottoming. I also got hold of the red "x-heavy" spring for the fork, but when I installed it I could barely compress the fork. This doesn't make much sense since I weigh 220 with gear. Another thing that doesn't jibe is the color coding on the RS website. Their chart says the x-heavy spring is black, when in reality it is red. RS needs to re-establish their spring rates and color coding. This fork dropped almost 2 inches of ride height, 2 pounds, and I had to complete re-learn how to hit switchbacks now that I can turn this bike. I was coming in too slow and stalling when turning my wheel further than ever before.

The "non race" Push'd DHX also performed well. I'm now able to run 25psi less than before which gives the shock a smoother feel. A beefier bottom out bumper helped control bottoming and the traction was noticeably improved. After the last run on Saturday on Kiwanis(pictured), I noticed some "slurping" noises from the shock in the parking lot, most likely from the shock getting worked hard for 8 hours. On Sunday morning the noises were gone and the shock was ready for action.

Good times, that place is damn fun.
    Global Director of Sales: Knolly Bikes

Living the Dream

It's hard too beat that place.

Especially when Gals from ASU are running by in Jog Bras.
    "And I shout that your all fakes and you should have seen the look on your face"

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Nice pics but..

this has what to do with Turners???

Ich bin ein Knolliner
    "The Coil Totem felt great, and contrary to what the picture might indicate, the fork didn't bottom out all weekend."

uuummmmmm.....

PS: sorry about the quality. frame grabs from a video.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Just roll it......
    Quote Originally Posted by Skins
    uuummmmmm.....

The question is......did he ride that one out or did it send him OTB? Nice huck, Dusty!

Negative Rep Points!!!!
    DB:

Looks like the chunk factor at SoMo is kick ass! Post up some more pics!

Way to sack up on that huck...impressive!
    What the EFF is "All MOUNTAIN"???

~~~~~~~~
    that's funny man, I weigh almost 75lbs. less than you and I can bottom the stock spring with one spacer. Guess I'm overdue for a fluid check, especially since it feels quite harsh. In the meantime I'll assume pilot error is the issue...

Knollician
    Good to see you like my playground

Those are all good trails, hopefully you were able to catch Geronimo and Holbert as well.

The Mormon to 24th street is one of my favorites. During the weekday, usually Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday, I park at the 24th Street lot and ride up Mormon (sometimes I will head up Geronimo), then head off to somewhere from there. That way I can end my ride with a trip down Mormon.

Great point about the longevity of parts here. I am always replacing something. The most current was stanchions for my 66SL (OUCH!!!).. Drivetrains never live long here either.
    "Three balls at once...who knew?" - Cotton McKnight

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    kiwanis was always a fun drop and up for me. handy with it bein accross the road from telegraph pass too. extra nice that its rideable in both directions and wont quite kill ya either way. good shots.

my vote is that huck ended with a dirty dusty.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Outcast
    Man that looks like fun. A bad day of shuttle riding is waaaaaaaay better than a good day at work, if there is such a thing.
    Thanks for sharing, Dusty.

Knomer
    Quote Originally Posted by Skins
    "The Coil Totem felt great, and contrary to what the picture might indicate, the fork didn't bottom out all weekend."

uuummmmmm.....

Shouldn't you be editing some video right now?

Knomer
    Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    my vote is that huck ended with a dirty dusty.
    My Bottoms remained unsoiled on that attempt.

liar! aqua says yer bottom is very dirty! maybe i misunderstood.

nice save man! i woulda figured you were desert fodder on that one.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Knomer
    Quote Originally Posted by tiSS'er
    Good to see you like my playground

Those are all good trails, hopefully you were able to catch Geronimo and Holbert as well.

The Mormon to 24th street is one of my favorites. During the weekday, usually Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday, I park at the 24th Street lot and ride up Mormon (sometimes I will head up Geronimo), then head off to somewhere from there. That way I can end my ride with a trip down Mormon.

Great point about the longevity of parts here. I am always replacing something. The most current was stanchions for my 66SL (OUCH!!!).. Drivetrains never live long here either.
    Yup, hit em all several times. In SoMo, The last trail you rode is always your favorite.

take me hooome.... country rooooooads.... to the plaaaaaaaace....... i used to riiiiiiiiide....... arizonaaaaaaaaaaaa........... burley mountaaaaaaaaaaain.................

ok, ill stop now.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by boredwitless
    this has what to do with Turners???
    one of the riders was on a 5 Spot?

Dusty owns a 5 Spot?

I have 3 Turners right now?

we spotted Turners on National trail?

South Mountain is such great riding - hey Aqua, if you could even give up Noble/SJT for a weekend, you would lose your brain, so many rocks to go up & down, and off etc.....

Knomer
    Quote Originally Posted by macrider
    hey Aqua, if you could even give up Noble/SJT for a weekend, you would lose your brain, so many rocks to go up & down, and off etc.....
    Don't waste your time, he's a lost cause. More trails for us!

Negative Rep Points!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by macrider

South Mountain is such great riding - hey Aqua, if you could even give up Noble/SJT for a weekend, you would lose your brain, so many rocks to go up & down, and off etc.....
    I have a question........Were any of those "Hot DH Chicks" asking about me?
    What the EFF is "All MOUNTAIN"???

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquaholic
    well, she did ask Dusty to put on some James Taylor for the shuttle back up....

I'd take that as a yes if I were you....

Quote Originally Posted by Aquaholic
    yep. she says shes still misses you after all these years. hehe
    No, I'm NOT back!

Now with flavor!!
    Transgender jokes aside............WTF are you doing reading freerupublic?
    STRAVA: Enabling dorks everywhere to get trails shut down........ all for the sake of a race on the internet.

thats what came up when i did a google search on "transgender cyclist" lookin for some aqua ammo. didnt pay much attention to more than a findin a story on her. with yer comment im thinkin maybe i shoulda payed closer attention to what i was openin up there? great, just great! now the man thinks im into that stuff. ill never get this "sex offender" sign off my lawn now!
    No, I'm NOT back!

new and improved
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bottoms
    Macrider droppin in on the Kiwanis switch...
    That's a hot line for Mr. Brittleankles

God I miss that place.

Now with flavor!!
    thats what came up when i did a google search on "transgender cyclist" lookin for some aqua ammo. didnt pay much attention to more than a findin a story on her. with yer comment im thinkin maybe i shoulda payed closer attention to what i was openin up there? great, just great! now the man thinks im into that stuff. ill never get this "sex offender" sign off my lawn now!
    Don't get me wrong, the site's definitely good for some comedy. But that's really the only reason any sane person should be looking at it. Read a bit and see what I mean.........either that or buy machine guns, start a militia and your own KKK chapter.
    STRAVA: Enabling dorks everywhere to get trails shut down........ all for the sake of a race on the internet.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    I ran into Michelle years ago- I was coming down Empress I think, one of the first times for me on that trail, on an XC bike in wet conditions. I was walking more than riding.

Michelle was doing trailwork and was very cool, said hi and encouraged me to hit some option, but she was chuckling at my riding skills. "Shore Virgin?" were her words I think. Humbling, yet... kinda weird.

Regardless of the controversy, you gotta respect freaky freaks that contribute to trail work & maintenance on the north shore.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast