Silence and Thunder...

Something I don't get to see everyday...

A Juvenile Puma! (mountain lion, cougar, etc...)
    Was riding Laguna (San Diego) yesterday w/ my g/f, and as I rounded a corner I saw what I thought was a good sized coyote walking away from me & the trail about 80 ft distant.
    I stopped to show it to my g/f who was a few seconds back. As it walked away, even though it was the size & color of the coyotes we see occasionally, we could see the long tail w/ black tip. And it walked like a typical cat, slow, slinky and aloof. Definitely not a canine!
    It took its time and went on around some boulders. We deliberated about what to do for a moment, then I decided to continue up the trail to confirm what we just saw!
    Had it been any larger or had behaved aggressively at all, I would have backed away.
    It stood and looked at us finally as we cleared the rocks, and I could see a few spots on its chest, and no tufts on the ears (bobcat). By the time I got my camera out, it had crouched and just watched as I took a few pix as zoomed as I could.
    It stayed there as we continued our ride...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ...every day sends future to past...

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    mommy, quick! i found some new toys to play with! and dinner too!

very cool alphabet boy. that had to be a complete rush.
    No, I'm NOT back!

3 "fiddy" for short
    It kind of looks like a Bobcat. But you are right, it is missing the darker hair tufts on the ears. The markings on its back still lead me to believe that it is a bobcat. Hey, what do I know though.

Amphibious Technologies
    Quote Originally Posted by be350ka
    It kind of looks like a Bobcat.
    I agree. Black spots give it away.
    "The best you've ridden is the best you know" - Paul Thede, Race Tech

Leash Law Enforcer
    Mountain lion or bobcat - Cool! The long tail would definitely suggest mountain lion. Cubs can be spotted too. But, I can see where the other guys are coming from. It does look like a bobcat in the pics. You don't get to see either one very often, count yourself lucky!
    "I didn't even use crutches when I broke my leg!" - Aquaholic

AW_
    locked - time out
    Is that a liger? They are pretty much my favorite animal.

long standing member
    Quote Originally Posted by be350ka
    Hey, what do I know though.
    At least he's got pics to back up his wildcat sighting.

Silence and Thunder...
    I wish I had got better pix as these don't do justice. I wanted to think it was a coyote at first, then I wanted to think bobcat. I had a hard time believing what I was seeing.
    I've seen a number of bobcats over the years, and this was different. I have friends who bowhunt this area and they confirmed it was a young lion.
    Also, a 140# adult was 'terminated' by officials in the same area just a month or so ago after it killed and dragged off a horse from the ranch up there. Quite possibly one of the parents of this one. We found a single paw print next to the water on a ride in september...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ...every day sends future to past...

3 "fiddy" for short
    Cool! Recently there was a sighting of a lion here in Central PA. There have been numerous sightings over the years with many people discounting the fact since they have been "absent" from this area for many years. Who knows though?

You see, the bad thing is, now PCinSC is afraid to go to his car with out me holding his hand let alone go riding.