mtbr member
    May 2007

some advice from 5 spot owners please

I have a 2006 5 spot with a dhx 5 air, revo 426 forks, mavic 321 rims on hope pro 2 hubs. I am in the uk and generally ride quite aggressive cross country but i have found a really cool shore site close to me in surrey and wondered if I should look at changing the forks for something more sturdy and with more travel and possibly the rear shock if needed - any recommendations??

mtbr member
    get the pro 2 20mm adapters and a Pike fork. But if you plan on doing big stuff get an RFX

Lay off the Levers
    Short answer: Yes!

Get a Zoke 55 and a Zoke Roco coil, or pDHXc, Avy Chubbie or CCDB In back.

But the Spot isn't really a 'Shore style bike. Beat on it too hard, too often and you'll be replacing it.
    Countdown to Whistler 2012...
    July can't come fast enough!

Amphibious Technologies
    Quote Originally Posted by in-pact
    I have a 2006 5 spot with a dhx 5 air, revo 426 forks, mavic 321 rims on hope pro 2 hubs. I am in the uk and generally ride quite aggressive cross country but i have found a really cool shore site close to me in surrey and wondered if I should look at changing the forks for something more sturdy and with more travel and possibly the rear shock if needed - any recommendations??
    For shore type stuff, I'd say a 160mm fork (Fox 36 or RS Lyrik.) would work best, IMHO.
    "The best you've ridden is the best you know" - Paul Thede, Race Tech

mtbr member
    A 5 Spot will handle everything at Esher Shore (Freeborn) if that's where you mean - with the possible exception of the big drop to flat (although they may have changed that). Most of the stuff there is rideable on a hardtail don't forget as some of the competitions they have there show. I've ridden a Specialized P2 there which was, if anything, more fun than any of the 4 full sussers I've ridden there.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    i was looking at the highline as I weigh 210 but it seems to be an expensive option as I don't want to sell my spot - what do wreckon a decent build on a highline would come to??

mtbr member
    May 2007
    cheers digger - would you recommend any changes to my spec (apart from flat pedals of course) I am currently running panaracer XC 2.1 tyres would you advise anything more substantial??

mtbr member
    tbh, the spec you have is great for it. Being picky, you might want 20mm bolt-thru forks likes Pike or bigger.. Lyrik, etc.

Mostly, I'd just go there a lot and ride what ya got... practice, practice, practice.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    cheers fella might see you there