mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Soggy BB gives up - Why no drain?

The Praxis Bottom Bracket on my Czar froze solid after just 2 months. When I opened it up, there was a bunch of water in there. The drive side bearing just couldn't take being wet all the time. Don't think this is Praxis fault.

The only water the Czar has seen is gentle washing and one river crossing. Not sure if water can drip down the seat post into BB, or if maybe the outboard seal over the BB was not seated correctly.

Anybody else have problems with water in the BB?

Also, has anyone changed out the bearings in a Praxis BB? I can't believe the manufacturers say it voids the warranty!

Edit: I pulled the BB and there is no way water can come down the seat tube.
    Last edited by edroid; 08-27-2013 at 04:42 PM.

mtbr member
    I have an old school Spot. I love that feature of the frame in which the seat tube vents out above the BB shell where no water gets into it. That does not mean however that when fording streams/water/ponds that water can't get into the BB shell. The bearings themselves are sealed but with that kind of "dunking" water's inevitably going to get through. Two weeks ago I did a major water ride where there was a lot of fording. It was a mess. Although I was tired when I got home I did pull the hubs apart, BB and headset. Blew the moisture out and added grease. There was water in all of those places. It's just gonna happen. Sorry to hear of your tribulations.

mtbr member
    Please elaborate gentle washing and river crossing...
    When trails gets tougher, Just stand up and deliver.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullit_cn View Post
    Please elaborate gentle washing and river crossing...
    I don't wash the bike often, hose with no nozzle on the end. Gentle as can be.

As for the river (more like a creek), I am guessing that must be the culprit. BB was fully submerged for maybe three minutes. Thing is, I have done that crossing dozens of times over the years on other bikes and never yet had a BB failure (Shimano). The Burner and 5 Spot BB are not drained either. . .

Pulling hubs apart after every wet ride or wash ain't gonna happen. I think I'll just stock up on replacement bearings.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Did you get new bearings? Were they hard to replace?

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by turnerbikes View Post
    Did you get new bearings? Were they hard to replace?
    Praxis is covering the failure under warranty. They say no bearings are built for standing water, however.

I did not remove the bearings this time because it voids the warranty! Ridiculous!

Swapping bearings looks pretty easy with proper tools. Maybe easier than changing out the entire BB. Definitely easier than hassling with warranty and waiting for shipping. . .

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    It's good to know they are helping you out, it makes it easy to work with like minded companies. Next river crossing go FASTER!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    It's good to know they are helping you out, it makes it easy to work with like minded companies. Next river crossing go FASTER!
    Any comments on why bottom brackets don't have drain holes?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I cannot speak for BB makers, but if you want a drain hole in your frame, drill a nice one. My thoughts have always been, the more places water can get out, the more water can get in.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I cannot speak for BB makers, but if you want a drain hole in your frame, drill a nice one. My thoughts have always been, the more places water can get out, the more water can get in.
    Hmmn. . . Maybe a nice 1" hole in the bottom of the frame with a rubber plug?

Well maybe not - you can be sure that the day I start re-engineering and drilling on your beautifully built bikes is the day I fell on my head with no helmet. . .

mtbr member
    3minutes seems too quick but long enough for water to get into any holes,
    I would rather walk it the next time
    When trails gets tougher, Just stand up and deliver.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullit_cn View Post
    3minutes seems too quick but long enough for water to get into any holes,
    I would rather walk it the next time
    Oh I WAS walking the bike. Spring runoff was flowing mid thigh high! I needed the bike to keep me from washing down to the Pacific Ocean!