Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Knomer

SoCal winters suck

YEAH RIGHT! It was 72 degress at 7am here "where the women come equipped with scripts and fake breasts." Lunchtime yesterday peaked at 92 degrees here in Dogtown, but it's a dry heat! I simply can't conceptualize having to take MONTHS off due to weather.

Anyway, strapped on a few upgrades in anticipation of a trip to SoMo in Phoenix this weekend. What we have here is a COIL Totem and a "non race" DHX out of the Push factory...

The fork rides smooth right out of the box, VERY plush off the top. The stock spring is a little light for me but I didn't bottom on a few small drops. I dropped about 2 inches of ride height off the 888 which was much appreciated on the climbs, as well as the floodlock to rid any bobbing. Best of all, my fork didn't have any air chamber issues, imagine that!

The Push'd DHX was noticeably improved as well. This kit lets you run less air which gives the stroke a smoother feel, and propedal is still adjustable. I don't usually like to upgrade front and rear at the same time, since it's harder to focus on how much improvement you get. Can't wait to rock this bike in SoMo.

Happy winter everyone!

Hisforever
    lets see somepics of the dirty bunghole riding his new gear.
    Jesus Saves

mtbr member
    Nice set-up, you should put the marzocchi freeride tires on there if you want to go big though. I'm waiting for the UPS guy to show up today too, the suspense is killing me!!! Can't wait to see how the new parts hold up to some Phoenix knarhucks to flat.

Ich bin ein Knolliner
    What happened to the Ti spring on the DHX?

You're making the rest of us VPF owners envious. At least I won't go over the bars as much as you will this weekend.

Outcast
    nice looking bike, but where's the gravity retarder?
    Usually I hate all you SoCal folks this time of year, but today in the Colorado front range, temps are in the 70's.
    Not that I'm out riding or anything......

Knomer
    Quote Originally Posted by Skins
    What happened to the Ti spring on the DHX?

You're making the rest of us VPF owners envious. At least I won't go over the bars as much as you will this weekend.

450 ti was undersprung, and 500 ti won't fit.

Knomer
    Quote Originally Posted by SHAHEEB
    lets see somepics of the dirty bunghole riding his new gear.
    Ride? Hahahahaha, I pushed it up, took the pic, and walked it down.

rr
    I don't do PC
    I usually hate socal'ers later in the winter, of course it started a little early this year but we rebounded nicely, off to Palmer this afternoon.

DB- nice rig, did you send it in for it's bi-annual noise reduction pivot warranty service too? probably not needed yet, it looks brand new

Alaska Turner Mafia
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bottoms
    I simply can't conceptualize having to take MONTHS off due to weather.

Happy winter everyone!

Say what! Who takes months off when you've got primo conditions like this? If we were to wait for a warm day to get out and ride, we may never get to go! Happy winter to all you lower 48ers too.

Rando

PS, woke up to minus 6 (that's F), will peak out today in the high teens after lunch.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by EndoRando; 11-07-2006 at 12:08 PM.
    Deceleration Trauma is my middle name

Displaying UGI Symptoms
    Hey DustyB:

After your ride in AZ please post more impressions of your "Non-Race" Push DHX-Coil. I am thinking of going that route.

THANKS!
    [SIZE="3"]24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence?
    - Stephen Wright
    [/SIZE]

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

I'm jealous

[QUOTE=Dusty Bottoms]YEAH RIGHT! It was 72 degress at 7am here "where the women come equipped with scripts and fake breasts." Lunchtime yesterday peaked at 92 degrees here in Dogtown, but it's a dry heat! I simply can't conceptualize having to take MONTHS off due to weather.

Anyway, strapped on a few upgrades in anticipation of a trip to SoMo in Phoenix this weekend. What we have here is a COIL Totem and a "non race" DHX out of the Push factory...

The fork rides smooth right out of the box, VERY plush off the top. The stock spring is a little light for me but I didn't bottom on a few small drops. I dropped about 2 inches of ride height off the 888 which was much appreciated on the climbs, as well as the floodlock to rid any bobbing. Best of all, my fork didn't have any air chamber issues, imagine that!

The Push'd DHX was noticeably improved as well. This kit lets you run less air which gives the stroke a smoother feel, and propedal is still adjustable. I don't usually like to upgrade front and rear at the same time, since it's harder to focus on how much improvement you get. Can't wait to rock this bike in SoMo.

Happy winter everyone![/QUOTE

I remember the Chino Hills in January. A pretty boring ride but being able to ride in 70 temps is so nice. We are in the midst of a hurricane here in the NW. How far do you have to drive to ride?

Jaybo

mtbr member
    I simply can't conceptualize having to take MONTHS off due to weather.
    Well, yes, biking gets curtailed (but not completely cutoff), but skiing just picks up. I used to bike to get ready for ski season, but now it's the other way round. Shed no tears for the Coloradoan.

nerfherder

365 day season...

Ride? Hahahahaha, I pushed it up, took the pic, and walked it down.
    Sounds like me.

~~

I was just thinking about how we get a year round season in SoCal. It's pretty darn awesome.

Amphibious Technologies
    Yup, that's why I live here

It must be in the high 80's to maybe 90degrees F; right now. I almost baked last Sunday riding at noontime as it must have been around 90deg.

Jaybo, nearest trail system is about 1/4 mine from my house.
    "The best you've ridden is the best you know" - Paul Thede, Race Tech

Outcast
    Okay, it's official. I "officially " hate all you SoCalian's from november through april.

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    im totally envious dusty. the bike looks like its ready to hit s. mtn in grand style.how long ya gonna be out there and what do ya plan to hit? that hill is covered with primo dirt if ya didnt know and youll have a blast. dare i say the vpf may even be the better weopon than the spot for most of it.

ps: so mo to the az locals is like sayin frisco to their locals. kinda bad juju in some circles.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Just roll it......
    YEAH RIGHT! It was 72 degress at 7am here "where the women come equipped with scripts and fake breasts." Lunchtime yesterday peaked at 92 degrees here in Dogtown, but it's a dry heat! I simply can't conceptualize having to take MONTHS off due to weather.

Happy winter everyone!
    I hate you. Ugggh, our winter just officially kicked off this week where we've now had rain for a week and a half straight and the last two days were torrential downpours. Worse yet, it's a "pineapple express" so the temps are too warm to even be getting snow in the hills yet. They estimated we got 12 inches of rain in the mountains yesterday and 4-6" everywhere else.

FWIW, we ride all year long in Seattle....the winter is just usually rather damp.

That VPF looks awfully clean. You ride that thing, right?

EB

Knomer
    Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    im totally envious dusty. the bike looks like its ready to hit s. mtn in grand style.how long ya gonna be out there and what do ya plan to hit? that hill is covered with primo dirt if ya didnt know and youll have a blast. dare i say the vpf may even be the better weopon than the spot for most of it.

ps: so mo to the az locals is like sayin frisco to their locals. kinda bad juju in some circles.
    We will be hitting:

National
    Mormon
    Geronimo
    Holbert
    Drops in the Wash
    Kiwanis
    Telegraph Pass
    Corona Loma

And Christie's Caberet.

Outcast
    We will be hitting:

National
    Mormon
    Geronimo
    Holbert
    Drops in the Wash
    Kiwanis
    Telegraph Pass
    Corona Loma

And Christie's Caberet.
    Is this a list of the places you're going to drive your bike to, take a photo of it there, and then drive back to the cantina?

Knomer
    Quote Originally Posted by rroeder
    I usually hate socal'ers later in the winter, of course it started a little early this year but we rebounded nicely, off to Palmer this afternoon.

DB- nice rig, did you send it in for it's bi-annual noise reduction pivot warranty service too? probably not needed yet, it looks brand new
    At this point, I should be on the "vpp strip & re-lube" pro racing circuit. I can do it in my sleep. In the dry socal weather, the pivots start talking about every 4 months, which is not nearly as bad as it's glamorized.

The bike is about 2.5 years old, but got custom paint about a year ago.

Knomer
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade
    Is this a list of the places you're going to drive your bike to, take a photo of it there, and then drive back to the cantina?
    Have we ridden together before?

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    We will be hitting:

National
    Mormon
    Geronimo
    Holbert
    Drops in the Wash
    Kiwanis
    Telegraph Pass
    Corona Loma

And Christie's Caberet.
    nope. ya didnt leave nuthin out on that list. top to.... errrrr..... bottom, thems the hot spots. good thing ya timed it so the wash's will be dry. we wouldnt want ya gettin hurt again now would we?
    No, I'm NOT back!

Knomer
    Quote Originally Posted by murphie
    Hey DustyB:

After your ride in AZ please post more impressions of your "Non-Race" Push DHX-Coil. I am thinking of going that route.

THANKS!
    I sure will.

Team Sanchez

Happy winter everyone!
    Indeed! Taken at 7:30am this morning in So. Utah.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Dishwasher Safe
    Taken the other night in Malibu, just before a little sushi and beer on the beach... Heh, early November and the water is still 64 degrees; perfect!
    Last edited by deadbolt; 12-02-2006 at 05:57 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast