mtbr member

SoCal Dirt Demo/Highline in Action (Photos with Homers Jersey)

Here are a few images from the Turner Dirt Demo in SoCal. David really put together a great day of bikes, friends and food. Hats off to everyone at Turner and big thanks to Joe and Mike from the Bike Co. for hauling everyone to the top over and over again!!! I personally would like to thank my photo subjects Shaun, Curtis and Moe!! P.S. Nothing but positive feedback from everyone that rode!!!! Click on the images below for more coverage!!!

[/CENTER]

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratfink
    Here are a few images from the Turner Dirt Demo in SoCal. David really put together a great day of bikes, friends and food. Hats off to everyone at Turner and big thanks to Joe and Mike from the Bike Co. for hauling everyone to the top over and over again!!! I personally would like to thank my photo subjects Shaun, Curtis and Moe!! P.S. Nothing but positive feedback from everyone that rode!!!! Click on the images below for more coverage!!!

[/CENTER]
    wats up bro i was the one in the red troy lee helmet d2 hardtop nice shots
    Tupac fo Life

No, that's not phonetic
    Stupendous pics! Nice jerseys!!
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

Lay off the Levers
    Awsome shots! Now I want one of those too.
    Gotta love that flying freak flag.
    Last edited by Bikezilla; 10-02-2005 at 09:29 PM.
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    Stupendous pics! Nice jerseys!!
    Hey Cheese!

I had a feeling that you and Crash would like the shots of Shaun in the Homers Jersey!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikezilla
    Awsome shots! Now I want one of those too.
    Gotta love that flying freak flag.
    You probably will want one; according to Shaun the Highline rode very well! Here's one of Shaun at almost full compression.

oly
    mtbr member
    Any reviews on the ride compared to a DHR?

Great Photos!!

Now with flavor!!
    Quote Originally Posted by oly
    Any reviews on the ride compared to a DHR?

Great Photos!!
    Yeah you guys are pretty and all, but what's that bike all about?
    STRAVA: Enabling dorks everywhere to get trails shut down........ all for the sake of a race on the internet.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    Yeah you guys are pretty and all, but what's that bike all about?
    Hopefully Shaun or Moe will post a brief ride review. I was shooting photos all day and did not get a chance to ride any of the bikes.

striker!

First Impressions

Hopefully Shaun or Moe will post a brief ride review. I was shooting photos all day and did not get a chance to ride any of the bikes.
    Okay Doug, here is my initial impression of the Highline that I rode in these shots out at Fontana.

I spent about an hour riding the medium over the moderately technical terrian offered out at Fontana. Although there weren't drops as big as I know this bike could handle, there were some decent size ones. Dropping a 4 four foot drop to flat was no problem on this bike. Popping the lip and making it into a 5 or 6 foot drop required a couple turns on the bottom out valve to handle the harder landing but I could tell I was still far from the limit of what this rig wanted to do. I noticed that the front is somewhat easy to pop up. When wheelie dropping, it doesn't take a huge tug to get the front up. Doing manuals on flat ground reconfirmed this. I'm sure this trait was designed into the bike since it makes doing drops more comfortable. The rock clearance is nice too, I would have been dragging my guide on my DHR on some of these suckers. It takes a little while for you to adjust your judgement for this (oh yeah, I can go over that ...) I think the bike jumps good. Its a little heavier than the DHR so it a little more sluggish to whip around. However, it does jump very predictably and smoothly and is again confidence inspiring. This bike also pedals well for a big bike. At the top of the course, you need to do quick sprint to get your speed up for the first corner. I couldn't detect any pedal feedback or significant amount of bob. As far as corning goes, it doesn't corner like a DHR. This bike was designed for freeride where hard corning isn't as important as in racing. It will corner, don't get me wrong, but you are a little higher up and two wheel drifts that feel comfortable on the DHR, do not feel as good on the Highline.

For what this bike is designed to do, I think it does it very well. Whether you're pointing it at drops or just leaning back and plowing through rock sections, this bike inspires confidence. You don't need to change your line and pick your way around rocks, you just go over them! This would be a great bike at Whistler.

Thanks to Turnerbikes for setting up the demo and great food. My wife commented that I was like a kid in the candy store, trying out all the different bikes...

Shaun

M070R-M0U7H FR3NCHI3
    Quote Originally Posted by superstock
    Okay Doug, here is my initial impression of the Highline that I rode in these shots out at Fontana.

I spent about an hour riding the medium over the moderately technical terrian offered out at Fontana. Although there weren't drops as big as I know this bike could handle, there were some decent size ones. Dropping a 4 four foot drop to flat was no problem on this bike. Popping the lip and making it into a 5 or 6 foot drop required a couple turns on the bottom out valve to handle the harder landing but I could tell I was still far from the limit of what this rig wanted to do. I noticed that the front is somewhat easy to pop up. When wheelie dropping, it doesn't take a huge tug to get the front up. Doing manuals on flat ground reconfirmed this. I'm sure this trait was designed into the bike since it makes doing drops more comfortable. The rock clearance is nice too, I would have been dragging my guide on my DHR on some of these suckers. It takes a little while for you to adjust your judgement for this (oh yeah, I can go over that ...) I think the bike jumps good. Its a little heavier than the DHR so it a little more sluggish to whip around. However, it does jump very predictably and smoothly and is again confidence inspiring. This bike also pedals well for a big bike. At the top of the course, you need to do quick sprint to get your speed up for the first corner. I couldn't detect any pedal feedback or significant amount of bob. As far as corning goes, it doesn't corner like a DHR. This bike was designed for freeride where hard corning isn't as important as in racing. It will corner, don't get me wrong, but you are a little higher up and two wheel drifts that feel comfortable on the DHR, do not feel as good on the Highline.

For what this bike is designed to do, I think it does it very well. Whether you're pointing it at drops or just leaning back and plowing through rock sections, this bike inspires confidence. You don't need to change your line and pick your way around rocks, you just go over them! This would be a great bike at Whistler.

Thanks to Turnerbikes for setting up the demo and great food. My wife commented that I was like a kid in the candy store, trying out all the different bikes...

Shaun
    thanks for the review...

can you comment on how it performs under braking?

striker!
    Quote Originally Posted by Acadian
    thanks for the review...

can you comment on how it performs under braking?
    Although I didn't get a lot of time to evaluate in this area (drop, stop, push back up), think it feels similiar to the DHR in braking. There is the firming of the rear when on the binders (skidding). Keeping off the brakes in turns seems to work for the Highline as it does for the DHR (and gives you better traction). The suspension was setup firmer on the Highline than on my DHR too so I don't know how accurate of a comparison I can make. It would be better to do long runs to really evaluate this (i.e. Garbonzo)...

Also, I forgot to thank Doug for hiking up the hill with the 50lb camera bag and getting some really good shots. Thanks Doug!

S

oly
    mtbr member
    Thanks for the detailed review!!

mtbr member
    I had a feeling that you and Crash would like the shots of Shaun in the Homers Jersey!!!
    Ya, thanks for the schweet pics! Now if only I could ride like that with my Homer jersey on.