Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

So do I sell my Klein Attitude Race for a Turner Flux?

1K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  Cary 
#1 · (Edited)
So do I sell my Klein Attitude Race for a Turner Flux or a Burner?

So I have a 2000 Klein Attitude Race, XTR, Race Face Next LPs, Manitou Mars C, and some Gravy made Mavic XM-819s with Chris King hubs (not disc).

But I'm starting to realize that full suspension bikes are much better than they used to be. No more pogo sticking and bob, which is the reason I didn't buy one 5 years ago. Couldn't stand it. From what I've read and seen, the Flux might be the way to go for me. I'm 6'3 200, so it seems an XL would be the right size...? Or do I go for a Burner... ?

So do I buy just the frame and a fork and transfer everything over? If I do that, I'd need to get the brake adapters as I don't have disc brakes. Or do I kick down and get disc brakes as well? I'd have to get new wheels then then, unless you can unlace them and swap out the hubs with disc compatible ones. Is that recommended/possible?

Or do I just sell my current setup and use the money to help purchase a Flux?

I'm stuck in limbo. I have a shop near me (Bay Area, CA near Mt. Diablo) that carries Turner so I could probably get a demo ride. I also have friends in SD that I visit often which live near Beyond Bikes so I could get a demo ride there too.

Suggestions? Or do I just keep the Klein and be happy?

See less See more
#3 ·
Get a burner before they're gone! It's the best bike money I've ever spent. if you are a racer type the flux might be worth the bux but for recreational trail riding the burner is the bomb!

#4 ·
In a word, YES.

I had a Klein Pulse (cheaper, but same basic design as the Attitude) and now have a Burner. It's a night-and-day difference. I loved my Klein but it was not comfortable on long rides and let's face it, Klein bikes are very stiff aluminum hardtails. After five years on it, my kidneys and lower back were not happy and I wasn't enjoying the sport as much as I wanted.

I'd say the Flux will make you very happy. Turner just added a gusset upgrade to strengthen the frame, so I bet it will take your weight just fine.

As for discs, I actually bought the v-brake adaptors for my Burner but then went crazy and bought disc brakes and had to invest in a disc wheelset. So....I have a pair of them if you're interested in buying them and running your current wheels. It'll save you a bundle until you're ready to upgrade.

I didn't notice in your post if your fork was 100mm.....that's strongly recommended on the Burner/Flux. So you might find yourself fork shopping too.

#6 ·
Fork is 80mm

The Mars C is just an 80mm and it's dying. I'm definitely fork shopping as well. Thinking of the Fox F100x off Ebay.....something along those lines. Those adaptors would come in helpful and keep costs down for now. I'll keep your offer in mind. Thanks.

Sounds like I need to get out of this stupid office and go Demo some bikes! :)

#8 ·
Flux Demo ride

Hey there Sport

I just test rode a Large Flux at Gravy wheels in San Anselmo. I rode to the top of Mt. Tam. Gravy treated me great and it was a great all around experience. If you can't get a test ride near you I recommend test riding at Gravy.

I now have an order in with Larry for a new Large Flux.

Good Luck and Enjoy!

-Lee

#11 ·
tedroy said:
Get a burner before they're gone! It's the best bike money I've ever spent. if you are a racer type the flux might be worth the bux but for recreational trail riding the burner is the bomb!
Are there any Burners left anywhere? I have a friend who's life would be greatly improved if he got one (a large probably).

#13 ·
SportDerek said:
Sounds like I need to get out of this stupid office and go Demo some bikes! :)
Definitely ride one - that will sell you on the bike and the disc brakes. The brake adapters are great and will definitely keep the cost down, but you'll be hooked on discs once you try them. You'll be able to swap out most of your other parts over to the Flux. I don't think it'd be worth selling the entire Klein - the market's just not there for high end hardtails.

#14 ·
SportDerek said:
Or do I just sell my current setup and use the money to help purchase a Flux?

I'm stuck in limbo. I have a shop near me (Bay Area, CA near Mt. Diablo) that carries Turner so I could probably get a demo ride. I also have friends in SD that I visit often which live near Beyond Bikes so I could get a demo ride there too.

Suggestions? Or do I just keep the Klein and be happy?
Just curious, what shop nearby carries Turner?

Now my response about keeping the Klein or getting the Turner. I live in the same area as you (Lafayette). Most of my riding is in the Briones Mafia Territory or Shell Ridge. I have a Turner Burner and a Titus Riddler (hardtail). I have found that for most of the stuff around here, I prefer the Titus. The Burner definetely has more traction and is much easier to ride fast, but I have found that I often just prefer the hardtail feel.

#16 ·
Don't get the F100X for the Flux. It is a great fork for singlespeeding and for racing, when mated to a hardtail. Get the RLT, Marathon XC/Race/SL, Reba or wait for the R6. Your suspension will not be well balanced with the X and the spike on the initial hits will drive you up the wall when trail riding.

_MK

#17 ·
lose the Attitude

I snapped the head tube from my Attitude days before my burner frame showed up. The Burner is just a far better ride.

I'd agree on the F100X as well. I started out with one on the burner, but changed to an RLT with 6 mo.

#18 ·
Did Danville bikes drop titus? They were selling those and Ellsworth for years. Just my two cents. I would buy from Larry at Mountainhighcyclerly, his prices are much better than danville bike. I went there a couple of times and was quoted really outrageous prices.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.