Living the Dream

So did anyone see this Sam Hill's World Video?

http://www.freecaster.com/1000006_1005144

I can't believe how fast he was going. Shame his tire washed out at the bottom. Maybe the most impressive race video I've seen.
    "And I shout that your all fakes and you should have seen the look on your face"

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    thats it. my bikes are for sale. anyone have a link to the best trekkie costume sites? time for a new hobby.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Team Blindspot
    Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    thats it. my bikes are for sale. anyone have a link to the best trekkie costume sites? time for a new hobby.

Kiltlifter taste tester??
    Astigmatic Visionary

id be good at that.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Silence and Thunder...
    Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    id be good at that.
    ...lifting yer kilt... ???
    ...every day sends future to past...

trail fairy
    Flippin incredible riding dam inspiring...

CC ya never hanging up ya boots bro, if ya can walk ya can ride, or Im coming over to kick yer arse
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

Expert Crasher
    holy smokes, at one point, they showed his speed - over 65 kp/h (roughly 39 mph?).

skillz
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    Watch the video on the same page of Gee Atherton and Sam Hill side-by-side. Simply awesome just being able to see where and how quickly Sam Hill pulls away. In my dreams I dont go that fast.

Surfin' da mountain
    Whoa! Dooood!

Why we don't have shows here showing that sort of action I'll never know. Thatz what I call reality - not a bunch of fat, used up movie stars still battling addiction sitting around a pool beotching at each other.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

No big deal

Sam Hill is not human, he is alien.

What is really sad is the tire development has stopped and most of those WC guys are running in the range of 40psi so they don't flat, with 2 ply tires and DH tubes. Imagine if they could run the equivalent of 20psi, keep the tires on the rims and the rims off the dirt how freakin FAST they could go then?

I have not talked to Sam about his tire set up, but the other high level racers that I do have access to are bouncing down the hill on 26" basketballs with tubes and tires just like them auto suppliers invented over a hundred years ago. May as well put those racers on fully rigid single speeds to go with the tire tech. And yes, Sam would still go faster.

DT

Now with flavor!!
    Quote Originally Posted by turnerbikes

What is really sad is the tire development has stopped and most of those WC guys are running in the range of 40psi so they don't flat, with 2 ply tires and DH tubes. Imagine if they could run the equivalent of 20psi, keep the tires on the rims and the rims off the dirt how freakin FAST they could go then?

I have not talked to Sam about his tire set up, but the other high level racers that I do have access to are bouncing down the hill on 26" basketballs with tubes and tires just like them auto suppliers invented over a hundred years ago. May as well put those racers on fully rigid single speeds to go with the tire tech. And yes, Sam would still go faster.

DT

Such a good point. One I often don't hear addressed nearly enough.

I've been running xc thickness 3.0 tubes for a while just for weight. I pinch flat the hell out of them regularly. I've recently pulled stem cores and put stans in the tubes and it seems to be holding off the pinch flats that I know are there.

But you're right. Some polymer chemistry and a more sturdy tubeless system needs to happen. Moreso than the elusive gearbox everyone seems to be after in my opinion.
    STRAVA: Enabling dorks everywhere to get trails shut down........ all for the sake of a race on the internet.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by turnerbikes

DT

No doubt, where's the rep button when you need it?

It doesn't matter how fast you are if you pinch flat in your race run. whatever happened to 'le system' from michelin?

There was talk of using a system that used a MCU core instead of tubes but I never saw anything come of it...
    nothing witty here...

aka DJ Papi
    Who are on the PRO Turner DH team? Or who is Turner sponsoring for DH now?

mtbr member
    I'm currently running UST lust at the rear with Stan's and running normal downhill Maxxis DH tyres on tubeless rims and Stans a the front.
    For downhill enduro events,I run UST front and rear with stans (no puntures in 2 years at the Megavelanche)
    I'm still on DH tyres and tubes on my Downhill bike atm but in the long term do intend to change them for UST but the cost of all the tyres you have to change during some races is getting a bit much so it is sometimes it is simpler with tubes..
    Stay off the brakes

mtbr member
    Did anyone watch Rachel Atherton - smoked Jonnier by 11.99 seconds? plus a Mens and Womens DH championship for the British!

mtbr member

He really did look

Speeded up to me as well!

so what psi would a half-fast moron like me run?

wtb trails, nev/bg's with xc tubes on 1 set
    521's, nev/bg's with dh tubes on the other

i was figurin on about 30f/35r. am i close?
    No, I'm NOT back!

trail fairy
    I'm sure my minions 2.5 @ 35psi felt like rocks but I have trouble remmebering the minions on my RFX are quite flat so no help either, wish I'd written down my setting on the fork now, like I used to, Ive never had an issue running XC tubes with 2plys on my MTXs one and only puncture I was running less than 20psi and it was a mudbath my fault casing the friggin gap jump, not exactly the tires tubes fault, same with my wetscreams worked well for me aroudn 25 to 30psi but then also very wet and soft, that course Sam was on looked hard dry fast and rocky as hell, still think no tire would have saved him he was just on the wrong line at that speed, hes even said he never did that line thast fast in practice, even though he rode that line all week!
    But I agree with Woo and Dt tires are the biggest performance gain you can make, its been this way in F1 and Moto GP for ages the fastest bikes/cars have the best tire setup period!

Oh and this is what ya use the practice for not feeeriding but sussing out what works let all the cowboys hoon around ride ya own lines play with tire setup, walk the track backwards as well as down!

I'd start @ 30psi and play around depending on the course during practice from therer CC it wil depend allot on what suits you and the terrain, and tires you use, my rims are 34mm wide so my minions tend to get a nice sqaure profile no sidewall roll so are well supported, narrower rim volume of tire may mean you might need more PSI too support it but then you weight nuttin, still little bit makes a big difference!
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs