Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    NOT Team Sanchez

Snappity of my mallet c....nearly filleted my calf!

Naked1 and I had grand plans to do some more filming up on the AMA when on the very first drop my left mallet c broke at the axle! It was pretty stylish because I threw some steeze and then when I landed looked an idiot but managed to stay up although my left groin region is quite sore I only just nicked my leg and received a nice cresent cut that actually had some good depth to it, not stitch worthy though. I was lucky because the edge created was razor sharp and if I'd hit full on I'd probably have opened my left calf like a filleted fish.......the what if is scary! Hopefully Naked1 will post the vid of this occurence and the rest of the stuff I shot of him as he had a good session while I watched......oh well, time to hit the phones with crank bros
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I like bikes.

PSI
    I want that one
    my prettiest mtb scar, a 3.5 incher on the back of my right leg calf, is from mallet "teeth". it wasn't due to failure though, just falling off a skinny.

banned
    I got a gash that small this past weekend riding through a trail that went through a field. It was really serene.

As far as the pedal goes, that's why Crank's CS is so good.

FM
    mtbr member
    Don't take it the wrong way, but I am always surprised you guys ride clipped in, with the type of trails you are building. I think injuries are kind of inevitable when you are doing FR stuff clipped in. Are you coming up as part of the whistler trip? Might be good to try flats and get used to them before coming up. SPD's is probably OK for most of whistler, but you'll want flats for sure on the northshore. Just my .02c.

Team Sanchez
    Nice Wasea! I watched Zilla do the exact same thing back during the 2005 THC on Porc rim.

FM, my plan is to start hitting our trails with flats about a month before Whizz to get used to jumping ect. Everyone I ride with rides clipped in, and mishaps are few and far between that wouldn't have happened riding with flats. It's all what you're used to.
    Team Sanchez; "Always hittin the upper lip"

NOT Team Sanchez

In agreeance.......mostly

Quote Originally Posted by FM
    Don't take it the wrong way, but I am always surprised you guys ride clipped in, with the type of trails you are building. I think injuries are kind of inevitable when you are doing FR stuff clipped in. Are you coming up as part of the whistler trip? Might be good to try flats and get used to them before coming up. SPD's is probably OK for most of whistler, but you'll want flats for sure on the northshore. Just my .02c.

I agree with you fo sho, I dj on my mallet c's with non spd shoes and do a little free ride that way too, the trouble is there's tons of pedaling to get anywhere around here.............it's about 450' vertical to ride the AMA and about 525' to ride the Barrels. Altough I do agree with El C about it being what you're used to as well, is it being tangled up or not being able to bail out that most free ride guys use flats?
    I like bikes.

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    drag, but im glad yer ok. maybe it was just tryin to escape that paint job? hey man, how much do ya weigh? im 165 and run mallet m's. im wantin to make sure im still in the safe zone.
    No, I'm NOT back!

NOT Team Sanchez
    uh I'm self concious about my weight so uh I'm not telling...............215. I wouldn't worry cactus these pedals probably saw over a thousand feet of drops before tanking.
    I like bikes.

FM
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by El Chingon
    Everyone I ride with rides clipped in, and mishaps are few and far between that wouldn't have happened riding with flats. It's all what you're used to.
    totally agree, but terrain and conditions are a lot different up here. You're going to see skinnies covered with mud/snow/moss/running water. Water frequently runs down the trail year round in places. Flats are a good call up here, I've honestly never seen anybody ride these trails with SPD's (although we rode them with unicyclist chris holm!) Here's a few pics from gutsploder of some of the shore features I'm talkin' about. The pics really don't do justice, these trails are under several feet of snow right now and stay wet a long time. We're not talking about moves like this every halff hour, it more like every 20'. These are on fromme which is a 12-1500' vert fire road climb.

id be more self concious about the looks of that frame. but i kid.

thanx for the info man. at 1000 feet, im probobly safe for the rest of my life.
    No, I'm NOT back!

thats pretty sick! the rooty roll in has me balled up in a corner, weeping in fear.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Amphibious Technologies
    Quote Originally Posted by wasea04
    .......it's about 450' vertical to ride the AMA and about 525' to ride the Barrels.
    Such a short climb shouldn't be a problem with flats.
    "The best you've ridden is the best you know" - Paul Thede, Race Tech

i can't type the letter s
    Not to be a jack*** but I ride with flats and SPD's, and climbing has nothing to do with my decision to switch pedals out. Last week we climbed 4200 vert but it was the descent (loose, steep and slidy) that made me decide to ride the flats. EDIT: To each his own though.

Elitest thrill junkie
    There's a pic that looks familiar....same thing happened to my mallets.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

NOT Team Sanchez

quit dis'n my crutch! hahaha

Quote Originally Posted by SCUBAPRO
    Such a short climb shouldn't be a problem with flats.

yada yada yada

Nobody has anwered my q yet as to why they ride flats........to bail out quick or to not get tangled?
    I like bikes.

Amphibious Technologies
    yada yada yada

Nobody has anwered my q yet as to why they ride flats........to bail out quick or to not get tangled?
    To bail quick and to be able to dab and easily get back on the pedal.

Lay off the Levers
    Nice Wasea! I watched Zilla do the exact same thing back during the 2005 THC on Porc rim.
    And then rode most of the way back w/o it!
    And thanks to Jimmy, that's when I switched to Times.
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

NOT Team Sanchez

gotcha bro.

To bail quick and to be able to dab and easily get back on the pedal.
    And I thought it was for no footers and tail whips Good news I just got off the phone with crank bros and I've got two spindles on their way!
    I like bikes.

Outcast
    yada yada yada

I ride flats for everything so I can:
    Concentrate on the terrain, NOT on clipping in, or worrying about clipping out when things go bad. Riding flats for general trail riding brought joy back into the ride.
    My opinion, don't believe the hype that you can't climb in flats. 5.10 shoes and pedals with good pins will work well to keep you in contact with your pedals.

FM
    mtbr member
    yada yada yada

Mainly it's so you can quickly jump off your bike if things go wrong. You might get on a skinny section that goes on for 5 minutes.... the entrance might look good but maybe there's a tight corner or or a wet steep section and one of your wheels slides off.... You would not likely have time to unclip. Sometimes your best bet is just to wear really thick kneepads and land on your knees, in case you don't have time to jump off.

You'll also find the shore trails have a lot of very steep rock sections which are usually wet. Again, you won't get much notice if you lose a wheel, and you don't want to be mechanically attached to your bike when you go down.

ANyways the coolest thing about the shore is, you might have one or two moments like that, but in general the stuff was built in a way that encourages you to safely push your limits. You might get on a skinny thats at ground level but only 4" wide, if you can ride that for 5-10' suddenly your 6-8' up but the skinny is now 1-2' wide.

If you're a solid jumper then SPD's are fine at whistler. But I think flats are generally more fun there, even though I rode nothing but SPD's for %80 of my cycling life.

Sorry for the threadjack

Amphibious Technologies
    And I thought it was for no footers and tail whips
    Yeah those too but I mainly like flats so I can use dress shoes when riding. Nothing says gnarcore like a rider in a suit.

Outcast
    Yeah those too but I mainly like flats so I can use dress shoes when riding. Nothing says gnarcore like a rider in a suit.
    True; you can get 5.10 rubber bonded to just about any shoe. Your riding ensemble will be much more color coordinated. Nothing says " I'm a roadie" more than a pair of shimano spd shoes that are tri-colored. Basic black baby!

Just roll it......
    I agree with getting comfy on flats BEFORE your trip to BC. I think the bigger issue is jumping. Almost all of the tables have vert/dj style take-offs and all it takes is to get bucked once without being able to bail and you'll wish you had them. You guys all jump plenty, so you'd probably be fine, but there is carnage everyday on the mountain with someone that vehemently stated "I can hit anything clipped in". Those guys are usually getting hauled off in the meat wagon.

This particular move is on Upper Oil Can about 50 feet before a long, but fun section that involves a 180 degree "U Turn" on it.

Noel's got some history on this one.......

~~~~~~~~
    yada yada yada

those two reasons, plus, riding flats develops better feet control techniques, i.e. you really learn to use your feet. A big reason for me is offering better placement and support of my feet and ankles on landings. My ankles just can't take landings with the pedal forward on my feet.

I do one ride a week on spd's and it's fun to blast up stuff with them, they do make for faster riding downhill too. I'm always sorry when I land though.

Climbing with flats, especially mellow uphills is no big deal, and if you've done the same climbs about a million times it's a fun challenge to try and clean the techy sections on flats.

Make sure to keep your lower legs covered, those cuts are nothing compared to how your legs are going to look while you are learning flats!

Glad you didn't get cut worse, that's enough to make me forget about using those mallets.

Amphibious Technologies
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade
    True; you can get 5.10 rubber bonded to just about any shoe. Your riding ensemble will be much more color coordinated. Nothing says " I'm a roadie" more than a pair of shimano spd shoes that are tri-colored. Basic black baby!
    Yup, check out this guys steeze an flats and a suit:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Lay off the Levers
    I'm loving that trail FM... looks like Ninham...on steroids.
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

~~~~~~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by ebxtreme
    Noel's got some history on this one.......
    like, off the bike for a while so might as well design one... flats and armor didn't make much difference that time.

Just roll it......
    Quote Originally Posted by airwreck
    like, off the bike for a while so might as well design one... flats and armor didn't make much difference that time.
    Yeah, can't remember the particulars, but it was either super wet or there was snow on the trails and his wheel slipped out on the exit ramp (the root ball to skinny entrance is way harder, imo) and he had a nasty tumble. Even with the speed you carry off of it, I'm super gentle on the brakes on that.....knowing the repercussions with a phock up.

EB

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Isn't that Dusty?

Yup, check out this guys steeze an flats and a suit:
    Or at least his twin brother??
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

Oh, So Interesting!
    Why do people buy cb pedals? They break with alarming regularity...

Strava: turn off your dork logger when you're not on sanctioned trails.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by davec113
    Why do people buy cb pedals? They break with alarming regularity...
    Because they are Homer Approved.

Amphibious Technologies
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy
    Or at least his twin brother??
    You're right. It does look like Dusty.

Team Sanchez
    Video coming soon.

Go Fast, Take Chances.
    Feb 2007
    I have recently broken my candy sl's, not just once but twice. I will admit that the customer service was awesome(both times) but the fact that it happened at all is what I can't handle. When I last spoke to the CB guys I told them that there isn't anything they can do, I was going back to Shimano. Since then I have been using the new XT pedals with no problems and I have put quite a few miles on them with a ton of jumps and drops and pedal smacks. I got two pretty sick scars from when mine broke. We are both lucky that we didn't do more damage. Later.

Team Sanchez
    Here is the linky
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyOnkAun3rQ

i hope.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Mainly it's so you can quickly jump off your bike if things go wrong. You might get on a skinny section that goes on for 5 minutes.... the entrance might look good but maybe there's a tight corner or or a wet steep section and one of your wheels slides off.... You would not likely have time to unclip.
    I really didn't realize how many of my dabs or falls were caused by clipless pedals until I ride flats for a while. I used to think that if I got my foot down and didn't flop over, then how could I blame my clipless pedals? I realize now that I was unable to save the wobble precisely because I was clipped in. Flats essentially eliminate falling to the side. They also make it easy to get started again, even in ridiculous terrain. The big platform offers more positions for my feet, it's nice sometimes to adopt a slightly wider stance on the steeps. They also taught me to bunnyhop correctly instead of doing the Goater Hop where you simply jump up in the air attached to your bike. There are probably more benefits, but meh, you get the idea.

What took a while for me to re-learn: bunnyhopping to the side, like when you jump from one side of the trail to the other to avoid a rut in the center.

I do occasionally slip a pedal, sometimes this results in shin or calf contact. This used to happen a lot with bloody consequences (if I wasn't wearing shinguards), now it only happens once in a while and is pretty minor. It sucks, but I take it along with the advantages. The monthly shin-egg has replaced the hipper as my minor injury of choice.

Results may vary. Any of this helpful?

JMH
    Last edited by JMH; 04-11-2008 at 08:00 AM.

Team Sanchez
    That vid just solidified my position on not using Crank Bro pedals. My Shimanos have held up for years with no issues.
    Team Sanchez; "Always hittin the upper lip"

My cup runneth over
    Quote Originally Posted by NAKED1
    Here is the linky
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyOnkAun3rQ

i hope.
    Was - you made the 'save' look easy!

AW_
    locked - time out
    I have long since lost count of the number of broken crank bros pedals I have seen on mtbr. Why is that? I don't think there are any other pedals that can compete for the title of most often broken. "But they have great cs". I'd rather my stuff didn't break in the first place.

NOT Team Sanchez

Similar offerings.......

That vid just solidified my position on not using Crank Bro pedals. My Shimanos have held up for years with no issues.
    What model from shimano is similar to the mallet c?
    I like bikes.

Oh, So Interesting!

If you HAVE to have clips, go with Shimano DX clipless, I think the model is 647. It has replaceable plastic platform cages, which absorb impact and slide over rocks way better than aluminum. Thats the only thing I think I lost going to flats... pedal strikes are a lot worse than with the Shimano clipless pedals.

Good Sale:

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...s.aspx?sc=FRGL

Strava: turn off your dork logger when you're not on sanctioned trails.

Elitest thrill junkie
    The 545s are also similer.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

NOT Team Sanchez
    Thanks to davec113 I just bought the shimano dx m647's at nearly half off, thanks dude, also thanks to rmac for his kind words of my save. Shall we consider this issue adjourned then?
    I like bikes.

~~~~~~~~
    Shall we consider this issue adjourned then?
    no, I still have some clipped in log ride videos to post .

NOT Team Sanchez

ditto

Quote Originally Posted by jonathan_sykes81
    I have recently broken my candy sl's, not just once but twice. I will admit that the customer service was awesome(both times) but the fact that it happened at all is what I can't handle. When I last spoke to the CB guys I told them that there isn't anything they can do, I was going back to Shimano. Since then I have been using the new XT pedals with no problems and I have put quite a few miles on them with a ton of jumps and drops and pedal smacks. I got two pretty sick scars from when mine broke. We are both lucky that we didn't do more damage. Later.
    My phone call with CB's went like this........yes, hello, I've had these since September........I weight 215.......so do you, ok........so the spindle broke in half quite catasrophically that's covered by warranty right and I'll get a new set of pedals?.......oh really that's not covered because it's not a manufacturing defect.........ok send me the spindle.......yeah bye.

Not a manufacturing defect?! It broke in half!!!! I did some counting and with my dad's help I've got the numbers for you: I've broken two eggbeaters, two smarties, and one mallet c. Not to worry I think I've finally learned
    I like bikes.

Rides like wrecking ball
    ...pics...
    Couple of kick arse old Monster T's right there! Love to see the Monsters still swallowing up the stunts!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hesh to Steel
    With people liking mongoose and trek bikes now, what's next in this crazy world? People disliking the bottlerocket?!

mtbr member
    Duuuude. Glad that wasn't worse.

I guess it's time to replace my Mallet's. I'm thinking of going to the plain old Time Aluminum. Their platform version (Time Z) is too heavy and I don't like the engagement/disengagment action of the Shimano's.... especially in mud.

I also need to get some good flats and start practicing jumps and drops with those. I can see with stunts and skinnies where they'd be an advantage and I certainly have noticed some bad habits I've picked up riding clipped in. For intance I rode off a loading dock near my house in tennis shoes (on my mallets) and pulled my feet clear off the pedals trying trying to boost a little.Luckily I landed on the seat and not the top tube. I know how to bunny hop without clips.... but apparently I've reverted to the "goater" style with clips.
    Last edited by KRob; 04-13-2008 at 11:21 PM.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

banned
    I got the Time Aliums now, and they are awesome. Nice platform, cheap ($46 or so), and they are durable. Lots of rock strikes.

Recovering Weight Weenie
    "But their customer service is great!"

Go Fast, Take Chances.
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by AW_
    "But they have great cs". I'd rather my stuff didn't break in the first place.
    My thoughts exactly. This is essentially what I told the CB guys when I talked to them on the phone.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast