Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    NOT Team Sanchez

Snappity of my mallet c....nearly filleted my calf!

Naked1 and I had grand plans to do some more filming up on the AMA when on the very first drop my left mallet c broke at the axle! It was pretty stylish because I threw some steeze and then when I landed looked an idiot but managed to stay up although my left groin region is quite sore I only just nicked my leg and received a nice cresent cut that actually had some good depth to it, not stitch worthy though. I was lucky because the edge created was razor sharp and if I'd hit full on I'd probably have opened my left calf like a filleted fish.......the what if is scary! Hopefully Naked1 will post the vid of this occurence and the rest of the stuff I shot of him as he had a good session while I watched......oh well, time to hit the phones with crank bros
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I like bikes.

PSI
    I want that one
    my prettiest mtb scar, a 3.5 incher on the back of my right leg calf, is from mallet "teeth". it wasn't due to failure though, just falling off a skinny.

banned
    I got a gash that small this past weekend riding through a trail that went through a field. It was really serene.

As far as the pedal goes, that's why Crank's CS is so good.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Don't take it the wrong way, but I am always surprised you guys ride clipped in, with the type of trails you are building. I think injuries are kind of inevitable when you are doing FR stuff clipped in. Are you coming up as part of the whistler trip? Might be good to try flats and get used to them before coming up. SPD's is probably OK for most of whistler, but you'll want flats for sure on the northshore. Just my .02c.

Team Sanchez
    Nice Wasea! I watched Zilla do the exact same thing back during the 2005 THC on Porc rim.

FM, my plan is to start hitting our trails with flats about a month before Whizz to get used to jumping ect. Everyone I ride with rides clipped in, and mishaps are few and far between that wouldn't have happened riding with flats. It's all what you're used to.
    Team Sanchez; "Always hittin the upper lip"

NOT Team Sanchez

In agreeance.......mostly

Quote Originally Posted by FM
    Don't take it the wrong way, but I am always surprised you guys ride clipped in, with the type of trails you are building. I think injuries are kind of inevitable when you are doing FR stuff clipped in. Are you coming up as part of the whistler trip? Might be good to try flats and get used to them before coming up. SPD's is probably OK for most of whistler, but you'll want flats for sure on the northshore. Just my .02c.

I agree with you fo sho, I dj on my mallet c's with non spd shoes and do a little free ride that way too, the trouble is there's tons of pedaling to get anywhere around here.............it's about 450' vertical to ride the AMA and about 525' to ride the Barrels. Altough I do agree with El C about it being what you're used to as well, is it being tangled up or not being able to bail out that most free ride guys use flats?
    I like bikes.

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    drag, but im glad yer ok. maybe it was just tryin to escape that paint job? hey man, how much do ya weigh? im 165 and run mallet m's. im wantin to make sure im still in the safe zone.
    No, I'm NOT back!

NOT Team Sanchez
    uh I'm self concious about my weight so uh I'm not telling...............215. I wouldn't worry cactus these pedals probably saw over a thousand feet of drops before tanking.
    I like bikes.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Quote Originally Posted by El Chingon
    Everyone I ride with rides clipped in, and mishaps are few and far between that wouldn't have happened riding with flats. It's all what you're used to.
    totally agree, but terrain and conditions are a lot different up here. You're going to see skinnies covered with mud/snow/moss/running water. Water frequently runs down the trail year round in places. Flats are a good call up here, I've honestly never seen anybody ride these trails with SPD's (although we rode them with unicyclist chris holm!) Here's a few pics from gutsploder of some of the shore features I'm talkin' about. The pics really don't do justice, these trails are under several feet of snow right now and stay wet a long time. We're not talking about moves like this every halff hour, it more like every 20'. These are on fromme which is a 12-1500' vert fire road climb.

id be more self concious about the looks of that frame. but i kid.

thanx for the info man. at 1000 feet, im probobly safe for the rest of my life.
    No, I'm NOT back!

thats pretty sick! the rooty roll in has me balled up in a corner, weeping in fear.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Amphibious Technologies
    Quote Originally Posted by wasea04
    .......it's about 450' vertical to ride the AMA and about 525' to ride the Barrels.
    Such a short climb shouldn't be a problem with flats.
    "The best you've ridden is the best you know" - Paul Thede, Race Tech

i can't type the letter s
    Not to be a jack*** but I ride with flats and SPD's, and climbing has nothing to do with my decision to switch pedals out. Last week we climbed 4200 vert but it was the descent (loose, steep and slidy) that made me decide to ride the flats. EDIT: To each his own though.

Elitest thrill junkie
    There's a pic that looks familiar....same thing happened to my mallets.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

NOT Team Sanchez

quit dis'n my crutch! hahaha

Quote Originally Posted by SCUBAPRO
    Such a short climb shouldn't be a problem with flats.

yada yada yada

Nobody has anwered my q yet as to why they ride flats........to bail out quick or to not get tangled?
    I like bikes.

Amphibious Technologies
    yada yada yada

Nobody has anwered my q yet as to why they ride flats........to bail out quick or to not get tangled?
    To bail quick and to be able to dab and easily get back on the pedal.

Lay off the Levers
    Quote Originally Posted by El Chingon
    Nice Wasea! I watched Zilla do the exact same thing back during the 2005 THC on Porc rim.
    And then rode most of the way back w/o it!
    And thanks to Jimmy, that's when I switched to Times.
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

NOT Team Sanchez

gotcha bro.

To bail quick and to be able to dab and easily get back on the pedal.
    And I thought it was for no footers and tail whips Good news I just got off the phone with crank bros and I've got two spindles on their way!
    I like bikes.

Outcast
    yada yada yada

I ride flats for everything so I can:
    Concentrate on the terrain, NOT on clipping in, or worrying about clipping out when things go bad. Riding flats for general trail riding brought joy back into the ride.
    My opinion, don't believe the hype that you can't climb in flats. 5.10 shoes and pedals with good pins will work well to keep you in contact with your pedals.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    yada yada yada

Mainly it's so you can quickly jump off your bike if things go wrong. You might get on a skinny section that goes on for 5 minutes.... the entrance might look good but maybe there's a tight corner or or a wet steep section and one of your wheels slides off.... You would not likely have time to unclip. Sometimes your best bet is just to wear really thick kneepads and land on your knees, in case you don't have time to jump off.

You'll also find the shore trails have a lot of very steep rock sections which are usually wet. Again, you won't get much notice if you lose a wheel, and you don't want to be mechanically attached to your bike when you go down.

ANyways the coolest thing about the shore is, you might have one or two moments like that, but in general the stuff was built in a way that encourages you to safely push your limits. You might get on a skinny thats at ground level but only 4" wide, if you can ride that for 5-10' suddenly your 6-8' up but the skinny is now 1-2' wide.

If you're a solid jumper then SPD's are fine at whistler. But I think flats are generally more fun there, even though I rode nothing but SPD's for %80 of my cycling life.

Sorry for the threadjack

Amphibious Technologies
    And I thought it was for no footers and tail whips
    Yeah those too but I mainly like flats so I can use dress shoes when riding. Nothing says gnarcore like a rider in a suit.

Outcast
    Yeah those too but I mainly like flats so I can use dress shoes when riding. Nothing says gnarcore like a rider in a suit.
    True; you can get 5.10 rubber bonded to just about any shoe. Your riding ensemble will be much more color coordinated. Nothing says " I'm a roadie" more than a pair of shimano spd shoes that are tri-colored. Basic black baby!

Just roll it......
    I agree with getting comfy on flats BEFORE your trip to BC. I think the bigger issue is jumping. Almost all of the tables have vert/dj style take-offs and all it takes is to get bucked once without being able to bail and you'll wish you had them. You guys all jump plenty, so you'd probably be fine, but there is carnage everyday on the mountain with someone that vehemently stated "I can hit anything clipped in". Those guys are usually getting hauled off in the meat wagon.

This particular move is on Upper Oil Can about 50 feet before a long, but fun section that involves a 180 degree "U Turn" on it.

Noel's got some history on this one.......

~~~~~~~~
    yada yada yada

those two reasons, plus, riding flats develops better feet control techniques, i.e. you really learn to use your feet. A big reason for me is offering better placement and support of my feet and ankles on landings. My ankles just can't take landings with the pedal forward on my feet.

I do one ride a week on spd's and it's fun to blast up stuff with them, they do make for faster riding downhill too. I'm always sorry when I land though.

Climbing with flats, especially mellow uphills is no big deal, and if you've done the same climbs about a million times it's a fun challenge to try and clean the techy sections on flats.

Make sure to keep your lower legs covered, those cuts are nothing compared to how your legs are going to look while you are learning flats!

Glad you didn't get cut worse, that's enough to make me forget about using those mallets.

Amphibious Technologies
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade
    True; you can get 5.10 rubber bonded to just about any shoe. Your riding ensemble will be much more color coordinated. Nothing says " I'm a roadie" more than a pair of shimano spd shoes that are tri-colored. Basic black baby!
    Yup, check out this guys steeze an flats and a suit:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast