mtbr member

Small Highline/RFX/Pack?

So my gf has decided it is time to get something a little bigger than her XCE for riding stuff up here on the Shore (about time!)! We have maxed it out in terms of fork (Pike) and heavy duty equipment. There are many things up here that a 4"x4" bike just isnt made for Does anyone have a line on or know of any small bikes listed above which are available? The blowout prices on the Highlines are tempting to say the least, though I am not sure on the sizing. She is 5'4-5'5. Would the small HL still be too big for her? Remember we want it to fit quite 'small' for Shore riding, and I dont want her to have too big a bike in terms of standover etc..

Any help/advice from all of Homerdom would be much appreciated!

Cheers

Buzz

No, that's not phonetic
    Good luck in your search. Small frames seem to be pretty hard to come by.

BTW, the standover on the small Pack is not as generous as the standover on the small Spot. Petite riders can get away with quite a bit in terms of riding lighter frames compared with big dudes. I don't know how huge your wife goes, but a 5.5 Spot with a 160mm adjustable fork may be just the ticket.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the reply Ts. The Spot idea is a good one, but I am guessing they are almost as hard to come by as any of the other smalls? My gf definitely doesnt go HUGE, nothing that a Spot probably couldnt handle in terms of drops. There are lines up on the Shore, however, that are more rideable the more slack/relaxed the bike is. She rides A LOT of things now on her XCE that surprise me ( I know I wouldnt want to ride much the Shore on my Burner), and I think she will progress more with something with a bit more travel and relaxed angles. Not to mention having a whole lot more fun

Buzz

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    as much as i love turner i'm not sure i'd look at a highline. i love mine but then i'm 220 lbs and not endowed with a great deal of finess! i do like the look of these though http://www.transitionbikes.com/2007/Syren_Preview.cfm

mtbr member
    I'm 5'-5 1/2" and ride a small 2008 Highline. I think it would be a good fit for someone an inch shorter than me; its a very compact frame. FWIW, I loaned it to a friends GF who is around 5'-0", and although it was a bit big for her it wasn't too bad (not something she'd want to buy and standover was a bit tight, but she was able to comfortably ride it).

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

facts and friction

The small Highline and RFX both have roughly 2" more standover height than the Syren. I see no reverence on their spec drawing where the that measurement is taken, my guess looking at the design of the frames is the Syren standover is measured at the back of the top tube right above the shock, this puts the seat in her lower back to 'achieve' full clearance, where both Turner frames are meausred several inches in front of the BB center which is roughly in the middle of the TT. Actual difference will be considerably less than 2".

DT

mtbr member
    Thanks Jabberwocky......this is the knd of info I need! Compact is what she would want....stretched out is NOT a good position for Shore riding!

Cheers

Buzz

Hisforever
    if i lived in BC or thereabouts, the GF would be rockin a small highline. take it to whistler, then shred it up & down the shore.

Good Deal

Plenty of Standover

Plenty Relaxed Angle

Plenty of Cush

Plenty Versatility.

Then you will have a sweet couple in your garage...
    Jesus Saves

mtbr member
    Yeah...I am not sure she would go for a Transition. She is a bit of a Homer herself With the prices of the Syren and HL being pretty close, it would be a no brainer Thanks for the input though....always appreciated!

Buzz

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz
    Thanks Jabberwocky......this is the knd of info I need! Compact is what she would want....stretched out is NOT a good position for Shore riding!
    No problem. I run mine with a 45mm stem and its considerably shorter than my small 5-Spot (which, granted, has a 100mm stem). It has very good standover, too. I'd be happy to measure mine if you want confirmation of any measurements.

As others have said, its a fantastic bike. Its a much better all-arounder than pure DH sleds, especially when jumps and stunts come into play.

mtbr member
    Yeah it would be MOSTLY for the Shore though we do hit Whizzla a couple of times a year...

PM Sent!

Cheers

Buzz

~~~~~~~~
    hey Buzz, popular topic around our house .
    jewels and I are the same height and have gone through the same thing. We have watched for small frames for years and they rarely come up for sale used, try checking dealers who may have stocked one and had it on the floor for too long and marked it down. Place a want to buy ad also.

Currently in our collection is a small 02 RFX set up with 5 inch rockers, a 03 spot with 5.5 rockers, an 08 highline which replaced an 06, and a 08 DHR. Jewels went from a Burner with a Pike to the 5 spot and most noticeable was the higher bottom bracket, which she quickly adjusted too.

For a shore riding female the 5.5 spot with a Lyric would be sweet, the light weight really comes in handy in the slower stuff. The RFX and Highline would be better suited to faster riding.

We arrive in Vancouver friday morning with the Highline and DHR (sad to leave the spot at home) and will be up in whistler, hope to get in some shore rides also. If we can get together she is welcome to give our bikes a try.