Thread: Slikfit Fataxle

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Slikfit Fataxle

Anybody have any experience with this rooftop rack for TA forks? It looks pretty "slik" hahahahahahaha!

At least potentially more secure than the Hurricane adapters.

With the 9 mm QR adapter, it could even carry the race bike.
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

not so super...
    Pics or link?
    Nothing to see here.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SSINGA
    Pics or link?
    Oops: http://slikfit.com/products.htm

Initially saw it in the "fresh produce" section of the Bike mag that arrived today.

mtbr member
    Interesting, but the dudes need to work on their website.

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    Quote Originally Posted by CrashTheDOG
    Interesting, but the dudes need to work on their website.
    word!
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    OK, we have satisfactorily pilloried their website.

Anybody have any actual product knowledge?

rr
    I don't do PC
    I'm confused, how is it any easier than using the hurricane adapter? You still have to take the wheel off and reinstall the axle just like with the hurricane, it's twice as expensive and you have to buy an adapter to hold a QR fork.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rroeder
    I'm confused, how is it any easier than using the hurricane adapter? You still have to take the wheel off and reinstall the axle just like with the hurricane, it's twice as expensive and you have to buy an adapter to hold a QR fork.
    Yeah, the Slikfit is probably not a world-beater, but unless I set it just so, my Hurricane adapter rotates back from wind pressure on the bike. My buddy with The Bamboo Fork (Maverick) has even more challenges.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by kosmo
    Oops: http://slikfit.com/products.htm

Initially saw it in the "fresh produce" section of the Bike mag that arrived today.
    thoughts:

1) overcomplicated, uberexpensive solution to a simple issue

2) Hurricane already makes the "Fork Up" for $25 or so, it is easier to use than this thing appears to be.

3) anyone with a welding qualification or brazing ability should be able to make a Hurricane Fork Up clone for less than $10

4) so if you want to be an obvious poseur who cares most obviously about being obvious about how much he obviously spent on this obviously overexpensive thing, obviously you should consider this new overpriced, overcomplicated gadget.

Yeah, the Slikfit is probably not a world-beater, but unless I set it just so, my Hurricane adapter rotates back from wind pressure on the bike. My buddy with The Bamboo Fork (Maverick) has even more challenges.
    who in their proper mind actually considers owning a MayYouWreck fork, other than Eternal Part Slogger UberHomer tscheezy?

kosmo: try a bit of grip strength when you tighten those Fork Up fasteners, man. jeezus.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by gonzostrike
    thoughts:

4) so if you want to be an obvious poseur who cares most obviously about being obvious about how much he obviously spent on this obviously overexpensive thing, obviously you should consider this new overpriced, overcomplicated gadget.

who in their proper mind actually considers owning a MayYouWreck fork, other than Eternal Part Slogger UberHomer tscheezy?

kosmo: try a bit of grip strength when you tighten those Fork Up fasteners, man. jeezus.
    They need to be serated not to twist, or positioned angled forward with a regular TA fork. With the Mav, it is impossible.

My buddy with the Drinking Straw Special fork did, in fact, declare after our last ride that "I'm done with this effing fork". Sadly, that was after he dropped it on the top of my car!

BTW, after reading some of your posts, I'd be glad to demonstrate my grip strength by twisting your head off.

banned
    BTW, after reading some of your posts, I'd be glad to demonstrate my grip strength by twisting your head off.
    thanks, but no thanks. I don't like the sound of that. it is too ambiguous and none of the possible meanings is interesting, compelling or satisfactory. I would suggest turning the urge toward the fork, twisting it into a Crazy Straw!

I think I need to Upgrade
    thoughts:

1) overcomplicated, uberexpensive solution to a simple issue

2) Hurricane already makes the "Fork Up" for $25 or so, it is easier to use than this thing appears to be.

3) anyone with a welding qualification or brazing ability should be able to make a Hurricane Fork Up clone for less than $10

1) It is about the same price as a Yakima or Thule rail set up. Looks simple to me.

2) Yea the forkup is $25 but it isn't all that secure when it comes to theft, also with the slikfit head it looks like you put your bike in it just like you put the fork up in your regular rack. Plus the Slikfit head looks strong.

3) That isn't all that many of us, nore do some/many of us have time for that.

4) So if someone wants their $2-6000 rig to be secure on their rack they are a poseur? I really don't see this as over priced or overcomplicated. I see it as a fix/solution/option for a problem that only had a cheap flimsy patch till someone put the time and money into doing the job right.

rr
    I don't do PC
    I didn't see any prices but the head and the rail are seperate it appears as is the QR adapter, the whole package has got to be more expensive. The fork up is plenty secure and can be locked down if you have a lock on your QR head, plus most folks already have a rack system with rails so who wants to buy a new rail just to have this little gizmo.

If your in the market for a new rack system and only ride bikes with TA's then it makes sense I guess but I would buy an upright rail so I wouldn't have to take the front wheel off if it was me.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by AzSpeedfreek
    1) It is about the same price as a Yakima or Thule rail set up. Looks simple to me.

2) Yea the forkup is $25 but it isn't all that secure when it comes to theft, also with the slikfit head it looks like you put your bike in it just like you put the fork up in your regular rack. Plus the Slikfit head looks strong.

3) That isn't all that many of us, nore do some/many of us have time for that.

4) So if someone wants their $2-6000 rig to be secure on their rack they are a poseur? I really don't see this as over priced or overcomplicated. I see it as a fix/solution/option for a problem that only had a cheap flimsy patch till someone put the time and money into doing the job right.
    your rush to defense reveals your poseurdom.

bike racks on roofs are showoff vehicles. you're going to deny that? you're going to try to say that's not true? give me a break. give me a fuggin' break, charlie. really.

if you can't work a simple fastener, an expensive one doesn't fix that mechanical ineptitude.

it's the indian, not the arrow.

My cup runneth over
    thoughts:
    Hey, hey - no more slammin' my GD...

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Sorry to interrupt the always amusing handbag fighting with a hijack, but has anyone got one of the new thule outride racks yet? It comes with an adaptor for 20mm forks and appears to be exactly what I'm looking for, but thule doesn't always have the greatest reputation so I'd be interested to hear any opinions.

My cup runneth over
    thoughts:
    BTW, I dream of being an UberHomer. I am an UberHomerWannabe (UHW, for short).

Carry on.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rmac
    Hey, hey - no more slammin' my GD...
    I'm just offering one way of seeing it. the other extreme is that you ride where it's so hilly a QR seat post collar adjustment for each climb/descend transition would make the ride 2x as long as with something like a remote controlled GD.

at one extreme: it's a $200 substitute for a $25 QR seatpost collar.

at the other extreme: it changes your riding for the better, in ways that transcend the most vivid imagination's images.

the truth likely is somewhere in between. what person spends $200 on a glorified seatpost and then turns around and makes himself look an ass by claiming it doesn't work?

remember the Hite-Rite had its days in the sun too.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SuicideDave
    Sorry to interrupt the always amusing handbag fighting with a hijack, but has anyone got one of the new thule outride racks yet? It comes with an adaptor for 20mm forks and appears to be exactly what I'm looking for, but thule doesn't always have the greatest reputation so I'd be interested to hear any opinions.
    first, tell us all about your handbags. I don't know anything about them, especially fighting over them... or were you saying fighting WITH them?

My cup runneth over
    remember the Hite-Rite had its days in the sun too.
    The Hite-Rite didn't have the Homer forum....

My cup runneth over
    what person spends $200 on a glorified seatpost and then turns around and makes himself look an ass by claiming it doesn't work?
    Someone who counts on the usual helpfulness (and mercy?) of the homer forum?