Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Slice & Dice

Negative Rep Points!!!!

Slice & Dice

Here's some shots of today's ride. I dig riding with Mondo. When I ride with Mondo I know that I have to bring my A game. Someone mentioned in a post last week how they liked riding with others that helped them push their limits. Maggro is that dude.

On with the show.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    What the EFF is "All MOUNTAIN"???

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    nice! thats all i got pal.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Negative Rep Points!!!!

Mas Pics

On the second half of our descent today, Mondo took post. I followed in hot pursuit and stayed close enough to his rear wheel that I was getting pelted by his roost. The dirt was like velcro and we just let it all hang out. Ripping through each turn I knew that one bad move would spell doom. I typically don't like tailing someone that close, at warp speed, but I've diced it out with Mondo enough times to know what his moves are. I trust following him at those kind of speeds.

Towards the end of this particular descent is a chunky high speed rock garden. Take a bad line or miscue and things are going to get ugly , fast. At the end of the garden, is a gnarled left hander. Mondo came in hot and suddenly lost the rear end of his bike. I saw his rear end kick out violently and he was down. I had a nano-second to react. I was going to T bone him, hard. Instead, I threw the bike down and narrowly missed spearing him. Nice scraping sounds emanated from bikes and riders. We both lay there in a crumpled heap. There was a quick check to make sure that all body parts were still intact and then we burst into laughter. We got lucky..really lucky, it could have ended badly.
    Last edited by Aquaholic; 03-22-2006 at 10:13 PM.

holy crap! uhhhhhh..... holy crap! damn he looks so smooth and confidant in the air, not that yer a hack by any means. that last hip is friggin sweet! no wonder its fun to follow him.
    No, I'm NOT back!

No, that's not phonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquaholic
    it could have ended badly.
    Instead, it has ended histrionically.

Great pics, as usual. It was snowing here yesterday. I know you feel bad for me.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Nice stuff as usual Aqua.

Bike Clinic question for you: When you are following someone, like Mondo for example, at high speed, do you follow his line or try to pick your own?

Do you try to follow someones line through a rock garden, or do you make it a rule to pick your own line through the rock garden? Just lookin to improve my ride a little. thanks

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    its all bike, it just does all the work for me. im just along for the ride. thanks for the pat on the back there aqua.
    maggro

what bike ya ridin maggy? i cant quite make it out. nice skills pal.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    i know it doesnt belong on this thread, its a yeti asx. im leaning toward a 6 pack for my next bike if i could find a medium to kinda sit on and demo.
    maggro

looks like the asx does quite well. enjoy it till the pack wins ya over. and if ya ask me, any good ride or rider belongs here no matter the bike. thanx for the contribution.
    No, I'm NOT back!

rr
    I don't do PC
    That is a very cool shot maggro!

Lay off the Levers
    Okay, I admit it. I hate the West coast. I hate the people who ride all friggin year round on wide open trails with spectatular views, I hate all these dammed ariels shots with LZs that can be seen from a half mile back...

Most of all, I hate the fact we have another weekend forcast that includes snow, rain and yet another freeze/melt cycle that will make my local trails too sensitive to ride w/o wrecking them for the whole season.

This has gone beyond envy, way beyond envy.

And Sorry, Ts you get no sympathy from me with all the snow toys you've built

Oh yeah and great shots as always Aqua, you and Team Sanchez actually get me through the day.
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

ahmen brother, ah-friggin-men! every last word. i keep askin myself... true love or year round ridin? guess ill be in iowa for awhile yet.
    No, I'm NOT back!

rr
    I don't do PC
    Thats what roadtrips are for, skip the $1000 wheelset for your RFX and head out west!

true that pal! i need me some south mtn and some fresh kiltlifter with my friends. now that i paid off the funeral trip, the tickets and im all leagal to drive again, i see a az trip in my near future. the new $$$$$$$ (hint) might mave to wait a month.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Team Sanchez
    Maggro, don't rule out the Specialized SX Trail. One of my buddies is on one, and I really dig it. The leverage ratio is nice for bigger riders, and the geometry feels superb. One of the nicest taiwanese bikes I have ridden.

Just another FOCer
    Us socal'rs suffered last Sunday too, we had to wear long sleeves. BURRRRR!

Quote Originally Posted by Bikezilla
    Okay, I admit it. I hate the West coast...
    "I hope your gravity droppers all seize up....BASTIDS." - Aquaholic

[SIZE="1"]NLZ
    The Path Bike Shop
    Winston presents - Socal Videos[/SIZE]

Too Much Fun

I'm dying here!

On with the show.
    The pics ain't loading in my damn browser! Its killing me!
    - -benja- -

Just roll it......
    Quote Originally Posted by El Chingon
    Maggro, don't rule out the Specialized SX Trail. One of my buddies is on one, and I really dig it. The leverage ratio is nice for bigger riders, and the geometry feels superb. One of the nicest taiwanese bikes I have ridden.
    Nice pics, Aqua....that's some air time you guys are getting!! I agree that it's fun to have a buddy to help push our limits....and I'm not talking about the dude that challenges your manhood any time you don't want to hit something either.

Maggro, I'm curious what's wrong with your ASX? Seems like you're going big enough to warrant that much travel. From what I've discovered, people don't decrease their level of air time, it usually keeps increasing....

El C, do you think the SX trail is a better bike than the ASX or just throwing up another option for him? I'd say it's on par (if not better) with the SX trail since it has 6.2 - 7.2" of travel and can be built as light or as burly as you like.....plus 1.5" headtube offers different options on the fork. Of course, no Horst link, but the guys I know that ride that bike totally slay it. I think a nice upgrade for that frame would be a DHX 5 over the Romic to help control the rear a bit more.

EBX

Team Sanchez
    I think that the ASX is a fine bike. My little bro has one, and I've logged several miles on it. I just really like the way the SX trail rides, and the Horst Link combined with the low leverage ratio make it smooth out the trail better than even my 6 pack. I am just really impressed with the ride quality of that bike. The only issue I have with the ASX is the severe brake jack that it experiences. Other than that it can take some serious abuse. I know this is blasphemy on this board, but if I had it to do over again, I'd lean towards the SX trail over the pack. Now the SX trail does have a long wheel base, but for the kind of riding I do, it wouldn't matter.

Just another FOC'er
    Quote Originally Posted by Winston
    Us socal'rs suffered last Sunday too, we had to wear long sleeves. BURRRRR!
    Yeah Winston, I hear ya, it's been just BRUTAL. We rode Chiquito Monday afternoon and it actually [SIZE="5"]RAINED [/SIZE]for like [SIZE="1"]30 seconds[/SIZE]. BRUTAL and UNFAIR.

Hey Aqua, keep up the good work building stuff. I've got to head down and hit that trail again real soon

Negative Rep Points!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ebxtreme

Maggro, I'm curious what's wrong with your ASX? Seems like you're going big enough to warrant that much travel.

EBX
    You've got to understand something about Maggro. The guy gets a new friggin' bike every 4 months. He has BADD, or Bicycle Attention Deficit Disorder. Last year alone he had a V-10....sold it. A Heckler.....sold it. A 5 Spot...... sold it. He currently has a Trek Diesel for racing DH and this ASX is his little bike.

Yesterday he was mumbling something about getting back on a Turner - a DHR.

More Maggro.

Flyin Canine
    Dude, that hip jump photo is awesome. Nice work!!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by El Chingon
    I think that the ASX is a fine bike. My little bro has one, and I've logged several miles on it. I just really like the way the SX trail rides, and the Horst Link combined with the low leverage ratio make it smooth out the trail better than even my 6 pack. I am just really impressed with the ride quality of that bike. The only issue I have with the ASX is the severe brake jack that it experiences. Other than that it can take some serious abuse. I know this is blasphemy on this board, but if I had it to do over again, I'd lean towards the SX trail over the pack. Now the SX trail does have a long wheel base, but for the kind of riding I do, it wouldn't matter.
    i dont use my brakes dont know if it brake jacks or not.
    maggro

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    You've got to understand something about Maggro. The guy gets a new friggin' bike every 4 months. He has BADD, or Bicycle Attention Deficit Disorder. Last year alone he had a V-10....sold it. A Heckler.....sold it. A 5 Spot...... sold it. He currently has a Trek Diesel for racing DH and this ASX is his little bike.

Yesterday he was mumbling something about getting back on a Turner - a DHR.

More Maggro.
    dude i look fat in every one of those pictures its like the camera added 40 50 lbs or something.
    maggro
    im at peace with my surroundings when my surroundings are a blurr.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast